- +

Author Topic: Hawley Publications?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline KaineZ

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Hawley Publications?
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »
I just came across a series of Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy comics published by an outfit called Hawley Publications that I've never seen before.  I've also never heard of Hawley.  Are they listed under another group of companies on the site here?  Overstreet has this comic book listed under "Hawley/Dell Publ./Standard/Argo".

Digital Comic Museum

Hawley Publications?
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Hawley Publications?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »
Sorry, I've never heard of them either.
BIP doesn't have them in their detailed listing.
http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/logos/index.php

I think checking on GCD might give you more answers.
They have a forum you can register for as well.

Offline KaineZ

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
I found the above referenced issue (no number) on DC++ today (published 1939) as well as a Captain Easy series published by Argo 1956.  Are these ok to post?  We've posted Famous Funnies from the late 1930s with Captain Easy in them.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
I believe they are Ok K.
If not I can pull them down if needed.

jrvandore

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
Hawley is somehow connected to Dell, as ads for Dell's titles appear in some Hawley books.  Here are the Hawley books per GCD:

http://www.comics.org/publisher/89/

Jim

Offline KaineZ

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:19:40 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Jim.  Based on the little summary of Hawley on GCD I'm unclear on if Hawley was actually part of Dell or just did work for them so I'm going to put this Captain Easy book under Small Publishers.  I have added these other books from Hawley to my watch list though.  I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.

Offline Soothsayr

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
I have 4 books under the Hawley label that I will be working on, so expect to see them soon ("soon" being relative!!!).

The ones I was not able to get are Red Ryder 1 and 3 (there was no #2). Not 100% sure that #1 being Hawley since it was printed under the "hi-spot" name.

Offline KaineZ

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
When I looked them up earlier in Overstreet it said that after #1 the Hi-Spot title became Red Ryder (#2 and #3).

Do you have the Hi-Spot issue?  I was interested in that one since it has a Pellucidar story in it by E.R. Burroughs with art by his son.

Offline Soothsayr

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:50:51 AM »
When I looked them up earlier in Overstreet it said that after #1 the Hi-Spot title became Red Ryder (#2 and #3).

Do you have the Hi-Spot issue?  I was interested in that one since it has a Pellucidar story in it by E.R. Burroughs with art by his son.

I don't have an Overstreet handy with me at work to check on the numbering but I did get the Hi-Spot #1 book from the LOC - it was a photocopied book. I haven't got around to editing it yet.

I know there is no Red Ryder #2. Did you mean that Hi-Spot #1 was considered Red Ryder #2?

From my memory, there's a Red Ryder #1 with the Hi-Spot imprint, then Red Ryder #3, 4, 5 with Hawley imprint, and then Dell imprint for #6 and on.  I've never seen RR #1, and if it's unnumbered, then it may very well have been #2 in the series if that's what you meant? Need to check more into it.

Would love to get my hands on RR #1 and #3 - I am working on #4 and #5 now.

jrvandore

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:18 AM »
GCD has it Red Ryder #1, Hi-Spot #2, Red Ryder #3-5.

Offline Soothsayr

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »
GCD has it Red Ryder #1, Hi-Spot #2, Red Ryder #3-5.

You are correct. I forgot Hi-Spot was #2, not #1.

I made a scan of the Hi-Spot from the Libary of Congress, and it is a photocopied copy that they had, so it will have to serve as a filler until we can locate a paper copy. It is ugly, I warn you, but beggars (myself included) can't be choosers.  ;)

I'll have it up this weekend hopefully.