developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Comic Creators - Artists, Authors, Etc...  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Re: Comic Creators - Artists, Authors, Etc...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »
Technically, I didn't meet him, but ..

I commissioned Superman-artist Al Plastino for this weird piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=756994&GSub=129741

I spoke with him on the phone (during SNOWMAGEDDON 2011!!) about his work, history, and the piece. He said that, yes, comic strip work was considered more acceptable than comic books, but that he grew to like and appreciate comic books (obviously). He had designed the look of a plane in WWII, etc.

I don't recall if I asked about him grabbing one of the DC editors by the lapels ( http://www.wtv-zone.com/silverager/interviews/plastino_1.shtml ):

AP:  I don't know if I should tell you this.  But anyway, I got into an argument with Murray Boltinoff.  They wanted me to work with him drawing Superboy and I couldn't stand the man.  They got this attitude that they think who the hell they are.  Later, when I was interviewed for an article, I said, "You're not my boss, you're my editor."  So I never took no…baloney.  I have to watch my language; my wife doesn't like it.

Prof:  (Laughter.)

AP:  So when Ellsworth came in, Ellsworth saved his life.  I swear, I was really angry and I said, "I wouldn't work with you."  And he heard me, he said, "Look, Al, what's the matter?" I said, "Blah, blah, blah."  He said, "Never mind.  You work with me on Batman.  You want to do Batman?"  I said, "Yeah, rather than do work with this…banana head."  Now Weisinger, I got along with him because I straightened him out a long time ago.

Prof:  That seems to be what it took with him.

AP:  Because when [Joe] Shuster was in, when the poor bums that created Superman, was in his office one time and doing some writing for him, and he talked to them like they were dirt.  So when they left, I just said, "Mort, if that was me, and you spoke to me the way you spoke to [Joe] Shuster and [Jerry] Siegel,"  I don't know who wrote it, I think Siegel wrote it and Shuster drew it, I'm not sure.  He worked for a post office!  "How the hell do you get the nerve to talk to him that way?  Who the hell do you think you are?"  Oh, I wasn't afraid.  My wife used to yell at me.  "Don't talk to them that way."  I said, "What are you worried about him for?  I'm not worried about him."  So anyway, I laced into him.  I said, "If it was me, I would have not only punched you in the jaw," and I'm not a big man, but when I get angry, I don't care how big the guy is, I get angry.  Anyway, we got along fine after that.

Prof:  That does seem to be what it takes.

Very interesting guy - a no-BS type of fellow, which I admire.

His website is still up (and not updated for his passing) for more info.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:14:29 PM by Roygbiv666 »

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »
I don't know if this will interest anyone but here goes anyway. Years ago, when we organised big cons in Glasgow,  at the end of the day whoever was sort of in the vicinity strolled off to the nearest pub.  The group could get a little loud after a couple and Cam Kennedy, who is great company, took umbrage at what someone from another table, nothing to do with our group, said or did, turned his bunnet back to front, got up and was on the point of claiming the bloke when 2 of us managed to pull him back and sit him down. He's a big lad but Glasgow pubs, Saturday nights, a very bad idea.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »
Interesting thread. Though I worked professionally, I did it all from an LA backwater. That fact combined with crippling shyness meant I met very few pros of the day. I still regret never having met Archie Goodwin; I always imagined we'd have an interesting chat. Likewise Herb Trimpe, who at the time was the only other guy who'd done a fantasy-airplane strip. Most of my big-name-pro encounters were during my fanboy days, when the San Diego Comic Con was held at the El Cortez Hotel. The Con was young, vibrant, and just barely professional, so there were many opportunities to run into THE PROS.

The more memorable encounters included a conversation with Gil Kane and his wife about his work in the 1950s (wish I'd had a tape recorder). Kane was simultaneously gracious and opinionated, and great fun to talk to. Jim Vadeboncoeur and I hung around a lot at San Diego, and he knew Jim Steranko. One year we chatted with Steranko for a long time at his booth. He was a thorough showman and told endless stories. I appreciated that even though he was quite aware that he was a superstar, Steranko talked to me person-to-person as if we were both on the same level. Another fun San Diego moment was when I briefly met Dan Spiegle, who back then wasn't well-known outside of Dell Comics fans. I had a copy of an old TV tie-in (the 77th Bengal Lancers) which I was pretty sure he'd drawn and asked him about it. To my amusement he paged through the book just like I had, saying things like, "Well, this kind of looks like me...this looks like a Spiegle head..." He wound up unsure whether he'd drawn the book or not--just like me.

Ever since discovering the 1930's "Terry and the Pirates" in my college's newspaper archives, I'd been a passionate Milton Caniff fan. One year he was Guest of Honor at San Diego. After his talk I stood in line (not a very long  line, really) and asked him to sign a Harvey reprint of his 1935 strips. He flipped through it and said, "Boy, I haven't seen THIS stuff in a long time!" Being a fanboy without much tact I asked him if he'd followed George Wunder's work on the strip, and what he though of GW's ignoring or doing away with most of the strip's famous supporting characters. Caniff said, "Well yes, I did wonder about that, but I guess he figured it was his strip now, and he wanted to start with a clean slate." Which is almost surely the case. Like Kane, Caniff was very gracious and talked with me a little before moving on to the next fan.

Surely my most pleasurable Pro Encounter was the time Jim got John Buscema (during his "Savage Sword" days) to consent to an interview about his career. That should show you how informal things were--he spent hours with us, going over the stack of books Jim had brought, one moment roaring out opinions ("I HATE Alcala! His inks are like somebody screaming nonstop at the top of his lungs!") and the next telling stories on himself (incredibly for someone we knew as a tireless workhorse, JB used to be rather irresponsible. He was finally fired from Dell after he spent a weekend working on a handmade chessboard instead of meeting a deadline). What a great time we had! In that interview I was struck by Buscema's paradoxical attitude. Over the years I saw it resurface again and again in interviews and stories from people who knew the man. Buscema swore repeatedly that he was just in it for the money, that comics were baloney and that he didn't care about anything as long as he got his paycheck. Yet it was obvious that he DID care. He cared about how his drawings were treated, he cared about how to tell comics stories, he cared about the artists and editors with whom he'd worked over the years...and he cared enough to later teach classes which trained a new generation of professionals. He just wasn't willing to admit it.

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
I thought that this story that Ty Templeton told about meeting Jack Kirby was kinda cute:

http://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/building-to-the-point-bun-toons-yay/
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »
Hi Crash,
Wow, thanks so much for your fascinating post!  Please feel free to regal us with more if you would like.  I think we would all like them.
This 'Jim Vadeboncoeur' fellow sounds interesting.  What was he like?  ;)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
Hi Crash,
Wow, thanks so much for your fascinating post!  Please feel free to regal us with more if you would like.  I think we would all like them.
This 'Jim Vadeboncoeur' fellow sounds interesting.  What was he like?  ;)

YOC!!  :o
 ;)
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 11:39:52 AM »
I just had to mention the weird synchronicity that occurred last night. Writing about people I'd met at the San Diego Con set me reminiscing about the great times we had at the El Cortez Hotel. It was a fabulous 1920s building which had fallen into tired shabbiness. As the Con grew it moved to fancier venues. Eventually the hotel was bought by some religious cult (Moonies maybe?) and was their HQ for many years. As far as I knew it still was.

But last night my wife was watching "House Hunters" on HGTV and a young woman was looking for a nice condo in downtown San Diego. So the real estate agent takes her to the El Cortez!! Somehow it was reclaimed by developers and has been turned into mid-range condos. I'm not much for gentrification but I must admit they did a fine job restoring the 1920s elegance, though the rooms themselves were rather generic. I wonder if the elevators still stop halfway to the floor if you load them with too many comics fans.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
What Crash failed to mention in his Buscema/San Diego Con story is that our interview with him took place in our motel room. I brought a bunch of comics to show to John and we spent the best part of an afternoon sitting around on the bed and chair of the motel room going over the books one by one. The convention was SO much more accessible to everyone back then. I was nobody. Just a guy who liked Buscema and had asked him about his early career via mail. Arranging the "interview" was sort of a "how about Friday afternoon?" kind of thing. Those were the days...

I don't know if it was at the same El Cortez con or not, but at one of them I was lazing by the Hotel pool talking to the guy next to me for about a half hour before I introduced myself and discovered that I was conversing with B. Kliban! Wow!

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline churnworks

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking briefly with Jack Kirby at San Diego. I had brought a ragged copy of "This Man, This Monster," and told him I thought it was one of the best "super hero" stories I'd read -- and great pictures of the Thing in the rain. Roz cautioned him, telling him to be careful of his hand, but Jack insisted on signing the book for me. He was a gentleman, and clearly enjoyed hearing from his fans.

In the Dark Ages, I wrote some pieces for comics fanzines, including a few on how to "read" a comic book page and page design. I got invited to emcee a panel on page design -- with Will Eisner, Paul Chadwick, and Ty Templeton. I was in the audience trying to calm my nerves when the gentleman sitting next to my glanced at my name tag and said, "MacGregor -- you wrote "The Net," didn't you? That was a pretty good book." I was in a state of shock, because the "gentleman sitting next to me" was Will Eisner -- and he'd not only read but liked my novel. And THEN he said, "What the hell are you doing on the design panel?"

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »
I love these stories. Thank you all so much for sharing.
Please continue!!!
Bminor

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
I sure wish Jim had recorded his hours with Big John.  It sounds like they covered a lot of ground!

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
I sure wish Jim had recorded his hours with Big John.  It sounds like they covered a lot of ground!

But to some degree that completely misses the point, Yoc. John and Crash and I were just three guys (maybe four, if Dr. Scott was there, too???) sitting around talking about comics and learning about John's earliest work.

[Actually, I was SHOWING John his early work, much of which he had to be re-convinced was his. I've experienced this with several artists (Krigstein and Severin also come to mind) where I've identified their first work in comics and only after some examination and rumination have they come to recognize it as their own.]

Back to the motel room: we weren't so much awe-struck as very privileged participants in a question and answer session with one of our favorite artists, who very graciously treated us like equals. We were all probably 25 to 30 or so, so we weren't green kids and we were deferential and asked intelligent questions, so we had a prolonged conversation. Recording it would have made it (and us) into something entirely different. I don't know about Crash, but I am very glad that we had nothing that might have inhibited Mr. Buscema in any way. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. A couple years later and San Diego was too big and John was too important and things were much too organized for it have occurred like it did. I'll take it like it was.

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Rocket Riley

• Repeating Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
I met Alex Schomburg when he was a guest of honor at a PulpCon in the late Seventies or early Eighties.  He was very friendly and loaded with stories.  I got to talk with him one on one for a few minutes.  The one insight I remember from the conversation was his reply to my question of how he could have been so prolific in the 1943-1945 period.  He told me his secret was that he never wasted a painting or preliminary drawing.  In other words if an idea for a Captain America cover didn't fly Cap and Bucky would become the Black Terror and Tim or the Green Hornet and Kato, maybe even Cat-Man and the Kitten. In that way he made all his drawing time count.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Interesting Rocket

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
Whiskey tango foxtrot...well, if we're looking for funny stories, I'll try this one.  First time I ever talked to Jim Steranko, I told him about reading part of his Captain Marvel article to my mom and her saying, "Yeah, he writes like you."  Steranko said, "Now, Lou...I know how mothers are.  You tell your mother you write like ME!"