developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Happy THIRD B-Day gang! (2013)  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Happy THIRD B-Day gang! (2013)
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner08 -Ramona.gif

Welcome to our THIRD Anniversary Event on DCM!
It's been three years now since DCM was born from a gleam in the eye of the staff.
We've been immensely proud of the site since day one and it's only grown with time.

First off thanks again to Roygbiv666 for allowing us to adapt his Ramona Fradon art commission for our latest banner!  I did the colouring and animation as usual.  Roy also supplied the wonderful Fred Hembeck art we've been using off and on since 2011.  Thanks Roy!  ;D

Like our collection and membership has grown we've also added to the staff.

This year we officially added Rangerhouse to the staff as a Global Moderator.  RH as most here likely know is in charge of the DCM Facebook page as well as the tireless scanner of many, many JVJ comics for the JVJ Project!  He has also continued his Archives adding four more this year including a new one Today!  All worth checking out in the Archives/Collections section. 

CaptDJ has worked more magic on his Jump-To drop down menu adding advanced features inside the Preview Feature we all love.  It makes DCM particularly easier to use should one be reading the scans online with Preview and they want to jump directly to a different book on the site.  Great job Capt!  We have plans for another new feature we hope to debut this coming year that should make DCM a lot more informative and searchable if everything works as we hope it will.

The JVJ Project has been going strong - they passed the 1,900 mark for comic scans from the JVJ Collection!  God bless Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr for opening his collection up for scanning all those years ago!  Speaking of the JVJ Project we also added some new editors this past year.  Thanks go out to Darkmark, Jimpy and Prime User for their efforts.

SPECIAL thanks should also go to MOVIELOVER who has become Rangerhouse's chief editor doing well over 75% of the edits needed with each box.  ML has also volunteered to start and maintain our 'Comics still needed on DCM List'!  A fantastic job all around.  Thanks ML!

Some NEW comic donors were added to the fold - Phil Barnhart and IRA who have both filled our collection with some very nice books.

CBpop is a new scanner on the scene with his own unique method of using digital camera and natural light to produce some of the nicest looking digital picture scans I've ever seen.  He's also been a joy to get to know behind the scenes.

Operator5 recently started uploading scans to DCM as well.  It's always nice to see new blood joining the hobby.

I'm also very proud to have release a final, all paper scans now, version of the Phantom Lady Archives v1 - The Quality Years
as well as the PL v2 - The Fox Years collection - with a huge amount of help from JVJ, Archiver_USA, Ken Quattro, Bud Plant, OtherEric and many more.  Both these were released with a heavy heart.  Co-author and dear friend John Nigel Cantwell (Phabox) passed away before he got to see the final results.  He will be keenly missed in our community.

Here are the Stats for our third year -
Total Members as of today 30350 - that's 6503 new members or an average of 542 new members each month!
Total Scans as of today 13956 Files - that's 2061 new scans this year or an average of 171 a month or 40 new scans a week!
Incredible work by all the scanners out there!

The Scanners are the life blood of the site - the time, money and risk they place their books under to scan and share these gems with us while saving them for posterity is inspiring.  Anyone out there that might like to scan something of their own or have a trusted scanner scan their books for them please use the CONTACT US link on the site or send me a Private Message.  We welcome the fills for the site and there are no rules against duplicate scans, especially if our version is incomplete or a fiche scan..

DCM also owes a huge thank-you to all you generous Financial Donors who have kept DCM afloat.  Since we started the Donation Pro last year we've only missed our goal two or three times and thankfully made up for short falls with our banner ads and good months like this one were we surpassed our monthly goal.  Many thanks to the donors, you guys are amazing!

And what would a Birthday Event be without Presents?!?
We got over 30 scans to debut today.  Some have already gone live but here are 26 new scans in their own temporary section -
2013 DCM Birthday Gifts Section  <- Clickable link
This section is only up for a short while - after that each book will be placed into it's proper title folder.

Up there now for you to enjoy -
Beware 10 -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Beware 12 -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Black_Terror_001-bcholmes.cbz
Crime Does Not Pay 094 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz
Crime Does Not Pay 110 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz
Crown Comics 10 - IRA-RH+loftypilot.cbz
Feature Comics 050 (diff ver)(c2c) -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Feature Comics 052 (diff ver) (c2c) -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Feature Comics 073 (c2c paper) -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Feature Comics 082 (diff ver)(c2c) -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Feature Comics 088 (diff ver)(c2c) -JVJ (RH+ML).cbz
Feature Funnies 013 (inc)(paper+4fiche) -JVJ (RH+ML+DELL4C).cbz
Feature Funnies 014 (paper+11 fiche) -JVJ (RH+ML+DELL4C).cbz
Fight Comics 025 -RH-Yoc.cbz
Heroic 012 (diff ver-c2c)RH+ML.cbz
Horrific 003 inc [Comic Media]-thehorrorsofitall.cbz
Jamboree 001 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz
Liberty Guards Comics -dsdaboss.cbr
Manhunt 002 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz
Manhunt 006 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz
Master Comics 092 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz
Prize Comics 005 (inc)RH+ML.cbz
Spirit_Section_1948_03_21-OtherEric.cbz
Spirit_Section_1950_02_05-OtherEric.cbz
Target_Comics_V01_N09-OtherEric.cbz
Tom Mix Western 001 (IRA+RH+ML).cbz

And more from Len and tilliban already on the site!

These generous gifts come from Rangerhouse, movielover, dsdaboss, IRA, OtherEric, bcholmes, Loftypilot, as well as Len and tilliban.
Thanks for making the day special guys!

Thanks again to everyone for their continued support of DCM.  We hope to see you all for many more years to come!

Take care everyone,
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Happy THIRD B-Day gang! (2013)
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
Re: Happy THIRD B-Day gang! (2013)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
Woohoo! Happy birthday!

And thank you to you folks who keep the site running, fix all the little problems in the downloads and administrator-ify our chaotic conversations!
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Thanks BC - Hey - you got a new avatar!
Totally cool man!  :D

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
Hey - you got a new avatar!
Totally cool man!  :D

I've been saving this jar to wear on a special occasion. 

BCing you
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
Spiffy!
I feel under dressed now.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:27 AM »
I'm astounded by all the books you put up!  Thanks, gang!  Now, when does the new banner start?

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:56:59 AM »
Browsers have gotten extremely (excessively) good at caching files.  Hit Ctrl-F5 (or the nearest Mac equivalent for a full refresh) and it'll be there.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
F5 does the trick!

I thought I should add a special thanks to MOVIELOVER for his amazing work as chief editor for Rangerhouse and his work on the wonderful 'comics still needed on DCM list!'
Thanks ML!  :D

-Yoc

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »
It did.  Thanks!

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:02:38 AM »
Having not been on site for a week or so, didn't realize that it was DCM's 3rd -- Happy Birthday!

The promise that DCM has fulfilled only leaves me wanting more!

B.
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
I to want to thank all the folks that make this site as great as it is, the scanners, providers of the books, uploaders and not to forget the posters. We have the best staff ever here.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
I know I'm late to the party.
* Captain DJ wonders if anyone still at party

But have just put a new small feature over on the preview script. It still in early days and won't mention what it is right now. First one to see it gets a high five.

It being applied to comics at a rate of 10 per minute so should start seeing it on comics soon...ish

Happy Birthday!!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner06 -PLad-NewYrMssg.gif

Hi Capt!
Nope, I haven't spotted it yet.  Can't wait to see it!

And I've updated the new banner to it's final version just now.
You can see it at the top of this reply (the b-day version is still on the top of this topic).
Members - Hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh your cache and see the new one in action over on the download site.

Take care!
-Yoc

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
Fantomah's got the blues...

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
I see it :) Drop down gallery of the book ... very nice!