developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Miss Fury  (Read 7661 times)

Offline turoksonofstone

• DCM Member
Miss Fury
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:39:49 AM »
Dynamite is reviving her in the Masks series. Is Miss Fury in the public domain??
What about the Timely reprints of the Bell Syndicate strip in particular? Just wondering.

Digital Comic Museum

Miss Fury
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:39:49 AM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Miss Fury
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:51:14 AM »
Whether she is or isn't, uploading those old Timely issues would bring the frowning attention of Marvel.  I say, don't do it.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:33:28 AM »
But what about the strips themselves?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »
Guys, please use JohnC's tutorial for checking and see what you find.
The Timely issues certainly wont be showing up on DCM anytime soon.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
I never could find anything that I understood for strips. I do have a suggestion though. I just signed up for King Features www.dailyink.com
and for just 20 dollars a year you can get your choice of comics every day. I now get The Phantom and Spiderman and some others everyday without having to worry about it. This also allows for direct support of to the creators. I read my today's comics just a few minutes ago on my phone. I am already a big fan. An important point to this thread is copyright. KFS has been known as a big defender of its properties. By going on site you can see what they are concerned about. For instance I found that Ozark Ike comics, which are carried here, were renewed. However, they do not appear on Kings new or vintage list so I would say they are safe. Here is the list of unsafe KFS

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith
Beetle Bailey
Big Ben Bolt
Brick Bradford
Bringing up Father
Buz Sawyer
Flash Gordon
Flash Gordon Sundays
Heart of Juliet Jones
Heart of Juliet Jones Sundays
Hi and Lois
Judge Parker
Katzenjammer Kids Sundays
King of The Royal Mounted
Krazy Kat
Little Iodine Sundays
Mandrake the Magician
Mandrake the Magician Sundays
Office Hours
Phantom
Phantom Sundays
Quincy
Radio Patrol
Rip Kirby
The Little King

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
I never could find anything that I understood for strips.

I maintain that the comic strip was pioneered by the ancient Egyptians as something to give headaches to anybody doing copyright research.  "Hey, let's give an independent copyright for a superficial, small part of a story, so tightly constrained that generally only one story is ever told, swapping out the kind of anthropomorphic animal irritated by the thickness of its owner's skull," but make it very difficult to track.

Consider:
  • Khem was the native Egyptian word for their homeland, specifically the black, fertile soil along the nile; it's thought that we get the root of the word "alchemy" from al-Khem, "from Egypt."  The first thing anybody says when looking at strip copyrights is "yecch."  Khem-Yecch?  Comic?
  • Egyptians were obsessed with animals and, later, half-animal people, as their gods.  Anthropomorphic animals frequently star in comic strips.
  • Many of these gods' forms are found in the shapes of their hieroglyphics ("sacred carvings").  Given that the female name happens to mean "better," but for a slight shift in mouth shape, it may also be carvings about...Hi and Lois.

I rest my case.

(Erich von Daniken was such an amateur...)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
Good observations John   ;D
I think that my approach is probably pretty reasonable. I doubt that anyone at KFS would be concerned with any strip that they have discarded. Not to say that they could not fight us over Ozark Ike but very doubtful. I would be careful carrying anything on their vintage list and of course their current list. There are currently only a few syndicates left. Searching them found the usual suspects as what we should not carry. I may write to them and see if they are aware of any vintage strips they do not have listed.

Offline mykey3000

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
In this instance, I am enjoying every last page and every last dollar I spent on the Miss Fury book:
http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Fury-Tarpe-Mills/dp/1600109055

Now it doesn't reprint from the beginning, but it is a stunning collection, chronological. Hopefully they'll print the rest.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
I think that my approach is probably pretty reasonable.

My ears just can't hear those sounds, for some reason...

Really, though, it's one of those systems that, unfortunately, works until it fails miserably.  All you need is one spiteful publisher (or publisher wannabe) to decide you've disrespected his favorite artist, and you find out how few friends anybody has, putting stuff on the Internet.  Because it's stupid to go after you directly.  It's better to scream to the ISP, the payment processor, the domain registrar, the DNS providers, and whoever else is around, and they usually don't value anybody's business, unfortunately.

That's my worry, at least.  I don't begrudge anybody drawing their line in the sand somewhere else, obviously.

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Responding to some of the above:

* Dynamite has given MISS FURY a book of her own, not just a feature role in MASKS. Look for MISS FURY v2 #1 (writer: Rob Williams; illus: Jack Herbert; colors: Ivan Nunes) at your favorite provider. Beware the time warps.

* Besides the can't-be-posted-here 1942 Marvel and 1991 Malibu series, MISS FURY appears in at least one issue here. But y'all already knew that, right?

* Probably about as old as the Egyptian comic strip is the Babylonian comic flip-book, as documented in National Lampoon's THE VERY LARGE BOOK OF COMICAL FUNNIES. Very large baked clay tablets were created and moved by very large teams of slaves, flipped past the eager eyes of the god-king atop his ziggarut, then destroyed. This deserves a video.

* The NatLamp book also documents off-color Graeco-Roman bas-relief comic strips, ancient Assyrian joke strips, and Comic Strips Of The Gods that von Daniken missed. Yeah, what an amateur.

* I shall withhold my rant about the utter vicious stupidity of current counter-productive IP laws. [expletive deleted] Disney...

Is Miss Fury related to Nick Fury? No, of course not. No cigar.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:06:14 AM by chaard »

Offline sunnyjay70

• DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
I never could find anything that I understood for strips. I do have a suggestion though. I just signed up for King Features www.dailyink.com
and for just 20 dollars a year you can get your choice of comics every day. I now get The Phantom and Spiderman and some others everyday without having to worry about it. This also allows for direct support of to the creators. I read my today's comics just a few minutes ago on my phone. I am already a big fan. An important point to this thread is copyright. KFS has been known as a big defender of its properties. By going on site you can see what they are concerned about. For instance I found that Ozark Ike comics, which are carried here, were renewed. However, they do not appear on Kings new or vintage list so I would say they are safe. Here is the list of unsafe KFS

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith
Beetle Bailey
Big Ben Bolt
Brick Bradford
Bringing up Father
Buz Sawyer
Flash Gordon
Flash Gordon Sundays
Heart of Juliet Jones
Heart of Juliet Jones Sundays
Hi and Lois
Judge Parker
Katzenjammer Kids Sundays
King of The Royal Mounted
Krazy Kat
Little Iodine Sundays
Mandrake the Magician
Mandrake the Magician Sundays
Office Hours
Phantom
Phantom Sundays
Quincy
Radio Patrol
Rip Kirby
The Little King

HI...Do we get the fullstory or just the one page of teh phantom and the mandrake when u sign up ?

tks''sanjay