developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Community Project: Walt Kelly and John Stanley material from Raggedy Ann + Andy  (Read 2025 times)

Offline rmdavidson

• VIP
  • DCM Member
I'm asking for help to compile three collections of public domain material from the otherwise trademarked and copyright protected Raggedy Ann and Andy and New Funnies comics.  Walt Kelly and John Stanley contributed non-licensed material for these series and they would make great collections.

1. Animal Mother Goose and others by Walt Kelly from the early issues of Raggedy Ann and Andy.  This will have to be split into three parts as it covers the first thirty issues of the series.  Kelly also contributed some non-Mother Goose animal stories in these issues which would be included.  Approximately 180 pages.

2. The Brownies and others by Walt Kelly from the later issues of Raggedy Ann and Andy and four issues of New Funnies.  Kelly also contributed one non-Brownies story in these issues and some illustrated verse which would be included.  Approximately 75 pages.

3. Peterkin Pottle by John Stanley from later issues of Raggedy Ann and Andy.  Stanley also contributed some Raggedy Ann stories in these issues but they are unfortunately off-limits.  Approximately 70 pages.

I have over half of the Raggedy Ann and Andy series and none of the four New Funnies.  We would need the appropriate page scans from the following issues:
New Funnies 82, 83, 84 and 85.  (cover plus The Brownies, approximately 5 pages each).
Raggedy Ann and Andy 7, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 32, 33, 35, 37 and 38 (cover plus Animal Mother Goose, The Brownies and/or Peterkin Pottle, approximately five to twelve pages each), also inside back cover of 29 (my copy is damaged).

Admittedly, I do already have scans of some of the missing issues.  But they were downloaded from various sources years ago and I would prefer new scans at higher resolutions made for 2013 computer screens.

If you have any of these issues and can scan the needed pages, please PM me (Personal Message icon on left) first to avoid duplicate work.  You will just have to scan the pages at 300dpi, save as a tif/png or highest quality jpg file and email me the raw scans.  I will edit them to try to give the collections a consistent look, even though they will be compiled from various sources.  I will include the names of all contributors in the final collections' introductions.

If we can't complete these collections within a reasonable time, I'll just go with what we've got and note the gaps.  But it would be great to finally make all of this material available for the many Kelly and Stanley fans out there.  
Thanks for your interest.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:42:44 AM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Thanks for reaching out to everyone Richard.
The site wishes you good luck on this very worthy project.
I slightly tweaked your message to make it stand out a bit more.

Come on gang, check your collections - let's get this one done.
Members can also upload any scans to DCM in a ZIP file and please mark them 'Attn Yoc' at the end so I can get them to RMD here.
The Raggedy Ann and Andy stories aren't PD but these projects would be safe on DCM and they deserve to be seen!

-Yoc

Offline rmdavidson

• VIP
  • DCM Member
UPDATE:  I have finished scanning all of the material from the Raggedy Ann + Andy comics that I own.  I've also completed the Introduction for the Animal Mother Goose collection, including twenty illustrations by Walt Kelly, with color, from the 1947 hardcover Complete Nursery Song Book.  I have a little bit more to do for The Brownies collection.

I have not heard from a single person (or a married one either, for that matter) offering new scans of the missing material.  So I am offering a sample here of what will be seen: a page from Animal Mother Goose of "Pease Porridge," prime Kelly slapstick; a gorgeous page from "Maximillian Hopp," one of three nature stories that Kelly contributed to the title; the opening page of the first Brownies story in Raggedy Ann + Andy; and a bloodthirsty adventure page from John Stanley's Peterkin Pottle.  Perhaps these will stir some interest in making these collection the best that they can be.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/rmdavidson/RaggedyAnn001pg035.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/rmdavidson/RaggedyAnn005pg022.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/rmdavidson/RaggedyAnn028pg003.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/rmdavidson/RaggedyAnn034pg009.jpg

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Well I will sound off to say I am sorry that I have nothing to offer  :'(

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Hi Richard,
Thanks for sharing your scans!
I would HIGHLY suggest you reach out to Thom who runs the wonderful 'Whirled of Kelly' blog here -
http://whirledofkelly.blogspot.ca/

Good luck!
-Yoc

Offline rmdavidson

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Thanks, narfstar and Yoc!  And Thom at Whirled of Kelly knows about the project.