developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: CBpop's Uploads!  (Read 44673 times)

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
Re: CBpop's Uploads!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
Uploaded complete Real Funnies Number 1 with original 7 scans of Black Terrier scans and cover by Steve Rogers. The added pages were digital photos. 68 pages cover to cover- 60 pages digital photos.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
Thanks CB!
:)

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
Hi Snard,
I'm glad you liked the digital copies for the comic. I'll be glad to do the  Black Terrier pages and add them to the comic.  I really envy Rangerhouse's equipment, he's fast and the final results are excellent. I really appreciate all of the work he has done to bring the golden age comics to fans.

It takes a little longer for me to do the camera work.  I've made a working model of  a holding frame that keeps the pages flat (without breaking the spine) and natural light for the pictures. I have to hold and center the camera for the shots, eventually I will have an fixed point attachment  for the camera which will make it easier and maybe a little faster.

It's a slow process, but it has preserved the spines of the brittle comics I've photographed.  On several pages of the Real Funnies I did have to use PhotoShop to tone down the discolored pages due to aging and bring out the color.  This is new for me and I'm just learning the ropes. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll do my best.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
Some day soon I'm going to find a way to add to this "genre", guys.
Last Thursday Bud Plant came by to visit and he and I rigged up a jig to photograph the copies of Jumbo #2 and 5 that he'd just purchased. It took us a little time to work out the "kinks" of the system, especially since #2 was quite brittle and the paper was different colors. I want to know if someone is interested in taking the files and put them in sequence (we did odds and then evens to speed up the photographing), and do whatever adjusting might be necessary (there was some spine curl/shadows in the first half of the first book until we worked out a system to get rid of it. The files are still on the card in my camera and I need to download them into the computer and put them onto a thumb drive - but then I'm looking for a volunteer to do the dirty work of getting them onto the site. This week is being booked rapidly, but it MIGHT happen. Help.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »
Hi Jim,
SURE, I'll take them and package it all for DCM!
Just upload your files to the DCM ftp and let me know when they are all there.
Sound good?

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
Hi Jim and Yoc,
I look forward to seeing the Jumbo comics. I would be glad to help in the future if  any clean up of pages with PhotoShop is needed.  I have a couple of big projects on the stove now with the upcoming Solar Guard reunion in Williamsburg, but should be able to provide any needed help on cleanup in the future. I feel like the crew at DCM are really providing a great service to comic fans around the world and I'm glad to help in any small way I can.
Ed

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Jim has made arrangements for the two Jumbo scans but thanks for your offer Ed.
Good luck with the reunion!

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
It's Movielover's challenge, guys, and good luck to him. I just put a thumbdrive into the mail to him with 123 files (somehow I feel that there should have been at least 128) on it. If we missed some pages, it's going to be even MORE challenging. We shot all of the right-hand pages (front cover, page 1, page 3, etc.) and then turned the book over and shot the inside front cover, page, 2, page 4, etc. Of course, the pages aren't numbered and the stories are erratic in length. One helpful plus is going to be that the paper is quite varied in color throughout at least issue #2 - which may be of use if we missed any pages when we were shooting. #2 was VERY brittle and Bud and I were intensely nervous when we started as the pages kept separating from the spine with every full opening. We eventually settled on a 90 degree positioning under the tripod facing the natural light of the window and so the further along in the shoot, the better things look - with fewer shadows. At least I hope that is what happens. We'll all find out when ML posts his work. Let me know when the drive arrives and that the files are all readable. I have backups if necessary.

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
It sounds like a very interesting challenge, good Luck Movielover.  I found that the 90 degree angle was a little to sharp and made the angle on the frame a little larger, so that opposite pages wouldn't shade each other when taking  pictures. I'm still working on the best angle for the frame and will pass along what seems best for shooting when I can get some sunshine again. The East Coast has been socked in with fog and rain. There's not much you can do when the pages are that brittle.. just hope that it will hold together long enough to get a good picture. PhotoShop really can bring life back to the pages.  Good Luck....

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »
Just uploaded Fantastic Adventures # 18  -  Super Comics - Paper scan c2c 36 pages - Story by H.G. Wells "Invisible Man". Reprint of Superior Stories #1 Nesbit Publishers May 1955.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
Thanks very much Ed!

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
Greetings all,
I've uploaded  a  52 page Punch and Judy from 1946 that was in fair/bad shape.  The back cover was missing and there were a number of tares throughout the book.   I found a back cover for the upload on E-Bay and photoshoped the tares.  I numbered the pages through 52 leaving 51 out in hopes someone has the inside back cover. I hope to have a few more scans up soon, it's been a very busy spring ; -)

Punch and Judy - October 1946- Vol 2 Number 3 - Paper Scan - 51 pages.  Missing IBC.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Book approved and ready for everybody to enjoy.  Thank you, CB!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
Hi CB,
If you ever are stumped for covers shoot me an email.  I might have access to a fill.

Thanks for the upload!
-Yoc

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »
Thanks Yoc,  I'll be sure to check with you next time.  I'm a little rusty in uploading files since it's been several months ; -)  I'm working on another poor/damaged comic that I think will be a good addition to DCM - Superior's OUR SECRET # 4  with some great Jack Kamen artwork.  I'll using the photo form to keep the comic in one piece.  Wish me Spaceman's Luck ;-)
Ed