developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: COMICS STILL NEEDED FOR SCANNING LIST - OLD LINK  (Read 40592 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: COMICS STILL NEEDED FOR SCANNING - please read
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »
Hi Jon,
Welcome to DCM.
That's an interesting idea.  I don't see it replacing these lists though.
It's handy to see all the missing numbers for a given title at a glance rather than searching for each individual number.  True your idea would be easier to maintain once it were running.

That sounds so cool your mini-comics!
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »

Offline jonathangraham

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Gaze into the fist of Dredd!
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2015, 07:55:57 AM »
That's an interesting idea.  I don't see it replacing these lists though.
What I mean is once that information is in the DB you could easily write code to generate the lists on-the-fly.  So we have the lists BUT nobody needs to maintain them as they would just be asking the database "list all the files flagged as 'needed' issues ordered by title".  Once the issue is bought/scanned the flag is flipped and the next time someone loads that page the list is up-to-date.

Does that make sense?
That sounds so cool your mini-comics!
Thanks. I print three two-page leafs on a single legal sized page.  Making a twelve page book.  I have a script which lets me select pages from various image files (We're working through "Animal Comics" right now - mostly Jigger and Rover) and it compiles them into a text file with the filenames.  Then I have another script in Scribus (an open source page-layout software - like InDesign) which loads the template and puts all the images in the right order.  I print it, fold the spine and then staple.  With all the scripting I can produce one in about 8-10min and my costs are probably about 40 cents.

Offline movielover

• DCM Member
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
Yes, but you can't just take a book off because it shows up. There books missing pages, pages damaged, part fiche/part GM, UK reprints, etc.

Truthfully, it's not hard to maintain now that strike through is gone and the constant cleaning required by that.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2015, 09:56:10 AM »
All good points ML.
Jon's script would have to be able to flag each book for multiple states.
A colour coded Google Spreadsheet for these lists is something that sounds attractive but would require so much time to setup it's not feasible.

-Yoc

Offline jonathangraham

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »
Yes, but you can't just take a book off because it shows up. There books missing pages, pages damaged, part fiche/part GM, UK reprints, etc.
Thanks! That's very good information.  Hmmm.  Am I incorrect in assuming that you track a lot of those things in some kind of notes field?  If so, then I think all you would need to do is keep that process and have a three state flag "Complete, Incomplete, Missing" the notes field would contain all the criteria that makes it incomplete.  So now your list is generated by the query:

"Show me all the Missing or Incomplete issues in the database and their notes ordered by title"

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "uk reprints".  If we mean tracking a book with the same title and issue number but was published in a different country.  IMHO you would track that as a separate item from the North American issue.

Also if you find it difficult to track books by the issue.  You might consider tracking them by the page.  A page could have a "problem code" - "missing", "low-quality", "damaged", etc.. it would also reference the parent issue.  You could then issue a query like:

"Show me all the issues with pages with problems ordered by title"

I admit that setting that up would be complicated but it would allow for a number of pretty interesting criteria.  For example if you wanted to mark pages containing racial epithets (for child-friendly filtering) or collect pages into a "feature".  i.e. you could select out all the Archie issues that contained "little archie" or all the pages in "Animal Comics" that were a "Pogo" feature.  Page numbers in a particular issue wouldn't even have to be unique allowing you to have alternates for example ones that had been digitally restored by volunteers.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here.  I really don't have any knowledge of the pitfalls of your data so don't make major changes on my account.  However if you have been thinking about overhauling the data schema I'd be more than happy to help out.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:34:03 PM by jonathangraham »

Offline movielover

• DCM Member
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
We track the missing pages in this list

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
Hi Jon,
All of that is done manually with the lists in this topic.  Movielover has been very diligent keeping things up to date.
We are working on some things that will, one day, we hope allow users to search by genre, character, artist, etc.  But I've no idea when that might happen.

That's a cool avatar you have btw.
-Yoc

Offline jonathangraham

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi Jon,
All of that is done manually with the lists in this topic.  Movielover has been very diligent keeping things up to date.
We are working on some things that will, one day, we hope allow users to search by genre, character, artist, etc.  But I've no idea when that might happen.
No worries.  As I said, I'm just thinking out loud.  If you need anyone to pitch in with the coding or whatever I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.
That's a cool avatar you have btw.
Thanks. It's a chop of my first name.  In Chinese, Jonathan is transliterated: Qiao(乔)-Na(纳)-Sen(森).

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
Thanks for your offer Jon.
We'll keep it in mind.  Meanwhile thanks for your donation and keep enjoying the scans.
Let us know how the kids are enjoying their mini-comics as well.
:)

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »
We should have the WHIZ COMICS giveaway listed under Fawcett, though I think it's being scanned.

Offline movielover

• DCM Member
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Added some small publishers after Ziff Davis. Will add more with time. Listings will be by GCD with no regard given to how they are connected or organized on the site. (Sorry, that's for my sanity)

Offline movielover

• DCM Member
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »
Doing a major upgrade to the weakest of the publisher list, Ace. Ah, the joy of having been first  ;)

Offline movielover

• DCM Member
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
Effective 8-29-2016

Updates/changes to this thread is suspended. List is undergoing revamp.