- +

Author Topic: Jon's thoughts on his time in Viet Nam  (Read 3255 times)

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Jon's thoughts on his time in Viet Nam
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »
I sure as heck would!  The fellow who wrote and drew it is a Vietnam vet and I think it's easily the best war comic since Kurtzman's EC's or Archie Goodwin's BLAZING COMBAT.  Check it out!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »

Offline akersjk

• DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »
I sure as heck would!  The fellow who wrote and drew it is a Vietnam vet and I think it's easily the best war comic since Kurtzman's EC's or Archie Goodwin's BLAZING COMBAT.  Check it out!

When was the Vietnam Journal published? How easy is it to find now? I'd be interested in checking this out, as well!

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
Re: 1950s Comics (Westerns, or anything else)
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
There is a paucity of mention of comic books in the literature about the Viet Nam war written by veterans of that war.

I'm moved to wonder whether any Vietnamese comics creators have ever written about the war, and whether any of them are veterans.

BC
too young and too Canadian for Viet Nam
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline akersjk

• DCM Member
Re: 1950s Comics (Westerns, or anything else)
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »
There is a paucity of mention of comic books in the literature about the Viet Nam war written by veterans of that war.

I'm moved to wonder whether any Vietnamese comics creators have ever written about the war, and whether any of them are veterans.

BC
too young and too Canadian for Viet Nam

That's a valid point. If one had the language skills and the resources at one's disposal, it might be worthwhile to look into whether Vietnamese sources exist on the sale/distribution/creation of comic books marketed for American soldiers in-country during the 1960s and 1970s.

I'll look into this a bit, and see if there is any English translations of Vietnamese works that might illuminate this point.

You'll find, though, that there is scant mention of comic books in the literature of the Vietnam war, by Vietnam vets, and by cultural historians of the time period. The mainstream consumption of the television in the late 1950s seems to have eclipsed mention of the comic in the literature. You are more apt to find reference to the omnipresent John Wayne, or the horse operas on television, than you are of some comics like Two-Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat!, or other 50s war and westerns.

-Josh

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
Apple Press put out 16 issues of VIETNAM JOURNAL from 1987 to 1991.  This was followed by a number of mini-series which ran to about 1994, all of which were written and drawn by Don Lomax, a Vietnam vet.  It's one of the best comic war series of all time.