- +

Author Topic: 1987 Eclipse comic mentions All-Thrill Comics?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Amberjack

• DCM Member
    • Comics on the Brain
1987 Eclipse comic mentions All-Thrill Comics?
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
I was just reading "Strike!" No. 3 from 1987. This is an Eclipse Comic that claims to be inspired by characters from All-Thrill Comics. The writer, Chuck Dixon, even has a full-page editorial talking about the history of characters in All-Thrill Comics.
But I think he's just having fun with me. Was there really an All-Thrill Comics that starred Sgt. Strike and The White Lion?
I know Eclipse was big into grabbing old characters, but I can't find any such comic. Am I searching for the wrong name here and on the Internet as a whole? Or is Chuck Dixon just making all this up?

Digital Comic Museum

1987 Eclipse comic mentions All-Thrill Comics?
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: 1987 Eclipse comic mentions All-Thrill Comics?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
Checking GCD - http://www.comics.org/  (a must have link for all these kind of questions ) -  I see no such book as 'All-Thrill Comics'
Sgt. Strike was a character in 'AIRBOY COMICS' #35 and 47 and in 'The Airfighters Meet Sgt. Strike Special' (1988 series) #1 from Eclipse.  Eclipse used the character several times if you check GCD and search for that character name.

Actually, checking GCD for Strike#2's listing you'll see they admit it was a hoax in issue #6 -
http://www.comics.org/issue/339949/

-Yoc

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
I was just reading "Strike!" No. 3 from 1987. This is an Eclipse Comic that claims to be inspired by characters from All-Thrill Comics. The writer, Chuck Dixon, even has a full-page editorial talking about the history of characters in All-Thrill Comics.
But I think he's just having fun with me. Was there really an All-Thrill Comics that starred Sgt. Strike and The White Lion?
I know Eclipse was big into grabbing old characters, but I can't find any such comic. Am I searching for the wrong name here and on the Internet as a whole? Or is Chuck Dixon just making all this up?

It was quite the thing to play around with the fact that many readers of (then) modern comics were basically ignorant of the Golden Age, AJ. Dixon was funnin' ya.

See also Dark Horse's "The American" series for which I wrote my letters correcting the accuracy of the supposed GA history of the character. That let to one of my few professional comic book writing jobs in the collected volume of the series. Check it out.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Amberjack

• DCM Member
    • Comics on the Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
Ah, thanks for the clarification! The bios that Dixon provides are quite amusing and the fake Golden Age stories are pleasantly hokey.
The only reason I smelled a hoax was because I had never heard of Sgt. Strike before in all my reading about the Golden Age. Sure there's probably a lot I had heard of, but since there had never been another Sgt. Strike revival since this one it seemed a little fishy.
Still, it's a neat gag.
And I really have enjoyed the issues of "Strike!" that I've read. I hope to track down some more.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Try here AJ: http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=155611

They have all of them available, the complete series of "Strike"

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time