developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: All Good Comics (1944)  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Crosshatchery: Kevin's writing archive and comic projects
All Good Comics (1944)
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
Hi all! It took me a few months working in my non-existent spare time, but I've finally finished scanning and compiling all 130 pages of my copy of Fox's "All Good Comics" (front cover and all 128 interior pages; my copy was missing the back cover). Just finished uploading the 90MB .cbz file through the DCM upload page. I hope it goes through without any glitches.

I know there's already an older c2c scan of the issue on the site, but many of its pages were black & white copies, or have art lost in the margins of the spine gutter. My copy has a couple pages with art running just up to the margins, and a few pages with rips that were "repaired" with yellowing cellophane tape, but otherwise the interior contents of this issue are complete and in full color. Enjoy!

-- Kevin Yong

Digital Comic Museum

All Good Comics (1944)
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: All Good Comics (1944)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:00:45 PM »
Thanks very much Kevin!
The scan is now up on the site gang so go grab some Good Comics!
;)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »
Interesting that I three people in the group have copy of this book because I have one also.

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:03:26 AM »
Kevin,

Beautiful job with the scans!  Thanks SO much for the Herculean effort

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:09:51 AM »
I'm glad people are enjoying the scans. It was a fun comic! (Now my next stop is to go post a copy of it over at the GAC/CB+ site too.)

Hopefully, if enough other people have different copies of this issue, we can eventually replace the damaged pages from my copy and combine our scans into a "clean" complete copy of the book.

-- Kevin

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »
(Now my next stop is to go post a copy of it over at the GAC/CB+ site too.)

Well, I just tried uploading elsewhere, but it looks like the GAC/CB+ site has a slightly lower filesize limit than DCM. So I guess this'll remain a DCM exclusive until I have a chance to split up the archive or downsample some of the pages.

-- Kevin

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
Kevin - PLEASE don't down sample!  There is no problem sharing a book in two parts.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
Kevin I will check and see if I can dig up my copy. What pages are needed?

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »
Kevin I will check and see if I can dig up my copy. What pages are needed?

Wow, that would be great if the damaged pages could be replaced with clean scans. Thanks for looking into it.

Pages 47 & 48 (the first pages of the "Dick Transom" story) are ripped and were repaired with tape.

Pages 97 & 98 (the first pages of the "Pussy Katnip" story) are ripped, but without tape.

Page 128 (the last page of the "Green Mask" story and the last page of the book) apparently had a sheet of paper glued onto the spine as a replacement for the missing back cover. I wasn't able to scrape off all of it, so a clean scan of that page would be an improvement.

Other than that, there's just the missing inside and outside back cover.

(Also... depending on how much extra scanning work anyone wants to do, there's probably a third of the pages in my copy have art that runs right up to the edge of the gutter. I don't know if it's just my copy that has that problem, or if it was widespread throughout the print run. But even with the off-center margins, the stories still seem to be readable.)

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:10:09 AM »
Kevin - PLEASE don't down sample!  There is no problem sharing a book in two parts.

I know, I hated even downsampling the little bit I did to create the JPEGs for the current .cbz file. But I knew I wouldn't have space anywhere to post the 4 GB of my original scans. 130 pages take up a lot of space as 300dpi uncompressed TIFFs!

So, I guess I'll keep my existing JPEGs and just work on breaking it up as a "part 1" and "part 2" for the other site then. (But I might hold off until I see if anyone else is able to provide replacements to the damaged pages first.)

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
(Now my next stop is to go post a copy of it over at the GAC/CB+ site too.)

Well, I just tried uploading elsewhere, but it looks like the GAC/CB+ site has a slightly lower filesize limit than DCM. So I guess this'll remain a DCM exclusive until I have a chance to split up the archive or downsample some of the pages.

-- Kevin

Kevin,

I'm not sure why your upload did not go through at CB+.  Narfstar today uploaded a scan of the 132 page ACG comic Hi-Jinx which, at 90.41 MB, was actually a little larger than your file for All Good Comics (89.78 MB). 

Could you give it another try?

Best

Joe

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
I'm glad people are enjoying the scans. It was a fun comic! (Now my next stop is to go post a copy of it over at the GAC/CB+ site too.)

Hopefully, if enough other people have different copies of this issue, we can eventually replace the damaged pages from my copy and combine our scans into a "clean" complete copy of the book.

-- Kevin
Hi Kevin. Are you familiar with the Heritage auction site? (http://comics.ha.com) If you create a login there (which is free), you can search their archived auctions section for high resolution cover scans. There are several auctions there for All Good (1944) that include a decent back cover scan. Actually, I've already grabbed one, which I can forward to you for future inclusion if you get other fill pages, if you'd prefer that.

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »

(Also... depending on how much extra scanning work anyone wants to do, there's probably a third of the pages in my copy have art that runs right up to the edge of the gutter. I don't know if it's just my copy that has that problem, or if it was widespread throughout the print run. But even with the off-center margins, the stories still seem to be readable.)

It depends on how much you 'love' your copy of this book... but if you were willing to remove the staples, you could probably press those pages a bit flatter to get scans of the inside margins. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen this book up close, so I don't know if the staples are the reason for the tight inside margins. But I have seen this on other books that I've scanned)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Heritage does want a credit card # but I've been a 'member' for years and never any problem.

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »

It depends on how much you 'love' your copy of this book... but if you were willing to remove the staples, you could probably press those pages a bit flatter to get scans of the inside margins. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen this book up close, so I don't know if the staples are the reason for the tight inside margins. But I have seen this on other books that I've scanned)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered doing that for a couple other comics I have, but this particular copy is an odd combination of staples, glued spine, and really brittle pages. I think the damage I would cause to the pages while trying to take this one apart would be worse for the scans than if I just left the art bleeding to the edge of the gutters.