- +

Author Topic: King Kirby  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
King Kirby
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »
Just started reading "Kirby - King of Comics" and was suprised to learn that Simon & Kirby worked on Captain Marvel Adventures #1 but didn't want to sign their names as they thought it'd flop! I was also amused to learn that when Stan Lee first gave Kirby the moniker of "King" he didn't want it as Victor Fox constantly proclaimed himself as King of Comics.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Digital Comic Museum

King Kirby
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: King Kirby
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »
Just started reading "Kirby - King of Comics" and was suprised to learn that Simon & Kirby worked on Captain Marvel Adventures #1 but didn't want to sign their names as they thought it'd flop! I was also amused to learn that when Stan Lee first gave Kirby the moniker of "King" he didn't want it as Victor Fox constantly proclaimed himself as King of Comics.

Kirby or Fox might have been the king of comics, but we all know who the king of cartoons was:

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515db069e2011168fc94c0970c-800wi

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
Uh... forgive my ignorance but who is he?

Curious

Joe

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

I read that a couple of years ago.  Some interesting stuff in it.  I understand that Evanier is planning another bio on Kirby.  I just recently finished Greg Theakstons two volume Jack Magic: The Life and Art of Jack Kirby which becomes mostly a very personal memoir by Greg in the second volume.  Contains the most I have ever read about Kirby's experiences in WWII in the first volume.

Best

Joe 

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »

Curious

Joe

I guess you never watched Pee Wee's Playhouse!

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »

I read that a couple of years ago.  Some interesting stuff in it.  I understand that Evanier is planning another bio on Kirby.  I just recently finished Greg Theakstons two volume Jack Magic: The Life and Art of Jack Kirby which becomes mostly a very personal memoir by Greg in the second volume.  Contains the most I have ever read about Kirby's experiences in WWII in the first volume.

Best

Joe 

I'll have to give that one a look.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 06:46:20 AM »

Curious

Joe

I guess you never watched Pee Wee's Playhouse!

I was aware of it but was so busy with work and what all to watch much TV in those days.  I did eventually catch one of the Peewee Herman movies but have never seen more than brief clips of his TV show.

Thanks

Joe

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »
@josemas: Could you tell me more about the two-volume book by Theakstone?
Unfortunately, as we stopped buying comics directly from the US, I continued to collect comic books but I missed a lot of important books.

Roz Kirby mentioned me, when I was at their home in 1991, that Greg Theakston was preparing a huge book on Jack, but I do not think it was the biography.
Plus, I am super-interested in the personal anedoctes related to the War: Jack just mentioned a few episodes when I interviewed him and I was very moved (although with my bad english at the time I had some difficulty to transcribe the interview). Do you think the best thing to purchase the book would be to contact Theakston directly through his site, or do you have some suggestion?

Many thanks in advance! :)

P.S. The Evanier biography is beautiful. I decided to buy the italian edition (a thing I rarely do) because it’s well done, but I’d have loved to read it in English. Also, they told me the original edition is oversized (italian edition is slightly larger than comic-book size).

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »
Here are a few reviews of Greg's Jack Magic volumes.

http://booksteveslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-jack-magic-vol-1-by-greg.html

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2011/06/jack-magic-by-greg-theakston-dont-ask.html

http://comicbookcollectorsclub.com/greg-theakston-kirby-bio-jack-magic-a-review/

I ordered mine through my LCS which gets most of its books and comics through Diamond.

I did find this one online site that currently has both volumes in stock.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=22274265

There may be others out there too.  Google around and you may find some.

The last time I looked at Greg's own site it was very out-of-date so I don't know if you can order directly from him or not these days.

Best

Joe

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
@Joe: Thanks. I am a Mycomicshop recurring customer, so I could add them later on.
Issue 1 seems no longer in stock, anyway, and it seems to me it was the one you mentioned about the War memoirs…  :'(