- +

Author Topic: Read .cbz Files on Barnes & Noble Nook Color  (Read 19284 times)

Offline bert810

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Read .cbz Files on Barnes & Noble Nook Color
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
If comics are posted in .cbz format they can be read on the Nook Color electronic reader.  I have been reading only these because .cbr files do not open even if I changed them to a .cbz.  Sure would like to see comics that are currently in the .cbr format be re-uploaded directly in a .cbz format.  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:00:52 PM by bert810 »

Digital Comic Museum

Read .cbz Files on Barnes & Noble Nook Color
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Read .cbz Files on Barnes & Noble Nook Color
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »
Bert,
if you have an app that can extract RAR files you can rename a CBR files and remake them as a ZIP file, rename and read as CBZ.
It's not hard to do if you have the apps.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:50 AM »
Also, depending on what "app" you're using to read the comics, it may be possible to install the unrar-ing library and have it working.  Most dedicated comic readers should also have the library included, if you're using something else.

I don't know the specifics of the Nook, though, just working off of "it's basically Android."

Offline bert810

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:19 AM »
I appreciate your comments regarding the use of an "app."  The Nook Color right out of the box supports a wide variety of file types including .cbz.  When you download/transfer this type of file into the Nook Color you do not have to do anything, just open, read and enjoy.  I looked and don't think Barnes & Noble has an app that works on the Nook Color like you describe.  When I use an app on my Mac computer to convert from .cbr to a .zip then to .cbz and then transfer the changed file to the Nook Color, it doesn't open.  By the way, not all comics uploaded to DCM as .zip files, changed to .cbz and then transferred to the Nook Color open.  That's strange.  I really appreciate all who upload in .cbz format.     

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
I appreciate your comments regarding the use of an "app."  The Nook Color right out of the box supports a wide variety of file types including .cbz.  When you download/transfer this type of file into the Nook Color you do not have to do anything, just open, read and enjoy.  I looked and don't think Barnes & Noble has an app that works on the Nook Color like you describe.  When I use an app on my Mac computer to convert from .cbr to a .zip then to .cbz and then transfer the changed file to the Nook Color, it doesn't open.  By the way, not all comics uploaded to DCM as .zip files, changed to .cbz and then transferred to the Nook Color open.  That's strange.  I really appreciate all who upload in .cbz format.     
I have a few theories as to why this doesn't work on all .cbz files, which I can test if you can provide a few example books that do & don't open. Namely, some people create archives that have a top-level folder inside the archive, with the images located in that folder, while others (including myself) create archives with the image files at the "root" level. Does that make sense?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »
Hi Bert,
Yes, if you could name a few CBZ files that don't work on your Nook it might be helpful for uploaders.

Offline bert810

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »
Thanks guys, here are a few.  I simplify the titles to read easier, hope you can identify the original.  I believe these are some that were uploaded as .zip then I converted to .cbz that did not open in my Nook Color: Young King Cole v2 5, Northwest Mounties 4, Blue Bolt v5 2, Lost Worlds 6, Air Fighters v2 1, Western Adventure 6, White Princess of the Jungle 3, Mary Marvel 7, Airboy 7, Captain Science 4, Prize 68, Ranger Comics 37, Champ Comics 13, Saint 2, Doll Man 32, Guns Against Gangsters 3, Speed 44, Target v9 10. 

Hopefully there is a way to have all the great .cbr files readable on a Nook Color.  I don't download them as I don't like sitting in front of my laptop to read.

P.S.  Is there any way to identify the file type before starting to download?  Maybe in the name or comments.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
Thanks for the list bert.  I'm sure Snard will figure something out here.

When saving the file, if you use Save As, it will show the file type in the file name displayed.

Offline watson387

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can side-load Android apps on the Nook Color. Perfect Viewer is a free comic book reader app on the Android Market (Play Store) that works great. I sideloaded it onto my Kindle Fire and it opens anything I throw at it. If you have access to the Store download it, transfer it to your device and install it. If you don't have access let me know and I can give you a link to it from my Minus account.

Offline bert810

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
I have noticed a lot more new postings in .zip and .cbz. I would like to thank those who upload in these formats.  Sure makes reading on a Nook Color easy.  One suggestion, is there any way to identify the file type with having to start downloading? 

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
Hi Bert,
With a PC right click on the download link and it should list the file type.
Sorry, that's the best we can do.  It's very easy to download, extract and re-zip the files for your Nook.

Offline bert810

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 05:28:44 AM »
Apple's don't have the same preview option as a PC when you right click on download so I have to take a chance.  If its a .cbr I stop the download.  Right now .cbr files no matter how I convert them to .cbz do not work on a Nook Color.  Yes, a .zip file can be converted to a .cbz easily and read on a Nook Color.  Again, thanks to all those who post .zip or .cbz files, I enjoy the reads!  Bert

Offline watson387

• DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
Apple's don't have the same preview option as a PC when you right click on download so I have to take a chance.  If its a .cbr I stop the download.  Right now .cbr files no matter how I convert them to .cbz do not work on a Nook Color.  Yes, a .zip file can be converted to a .cbz easily and read on a Nook Color.  Again, thanks to all those who post .zip or .cbz files, I enjoy the reads!  Bert

1. Download the .cbr file.
2. Rename the file's extension from .cbr to .rar
3. Extract the .rar file using your favorite archiving software (I use Peazip, unsure if it's available for Mac).
4. Repack the extracted files to a .zip file using your favorite archiving software.
5. Rename the resulting file's extension from .zip to .cbz

This works.  If it isn't working you are doing something wrong.  Follow my instructions exactly and you'll be good to go.  You can also get Perfect Viewer from Google's Play Store and sideload it onto your device.  It will read .cbz, .cbr & .pdf (.pdf only with a plug-in).  If you can't get the Perfect Viewer installation file (.apk) on your own let me know and I'll link you to it.

Offline bert810

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
Thanks, the steps explained were clear, easy to follow and worked GREAT!  After all this time I now have more choices for my Nook Color.  WOW! 

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »
That's great news bert!
Very glad to hear it.  :)