General Category > Artist Spotting

Don Heck?

(1/4) > >>

Roygbiv666:
Hi

Don Heck illustrated the first six issues of the late '70s series, "Steel, the Indestructible Man". Trouble is, it was cancelled with issue 5. Most (if not all) of the art from #6 was reprinted in "All-Star Squadron" #8 and 9 (?), inked by Jerry Ordway (I think).

Does it look like Heck drew part of this page? I can't really tell from the art.

http://www.romitaman.com/featured.asp?Piece=10017

Steel, in case you aren't familiar, is the fellow jumping down on the Nazi assassin. I thought his costume was cool

I'm thinking it was just Gonzales on this page, including Steel.

paw broon:
Yes, that was a cool supersuit. But the art seems adequate but unexciting, as it did when I first bought the series. And I'm not good enough to tell who did what.

vaillant:
@Roygbiv666: I would say it’s Heck, from the face features of some characters. Although the pretty personal inking style of Ordway makes difficult to tell. Heck has been a great, mostly because of his humility. He has often been treated as a second-rate artist, but he had always been consistent in his storytelling, and he knew how to deliver a story through panels. Besides, he actually show character’s emotions and more inner feelings, a thing acclaimed authors (like Jim Lee, for example) have never learned to do.
Omega the Unknown alone deserves Don Heck a place in the hall of the all-greats.
Before he died, a friend of mine was able to commission a drawing from him, where Spider-Man greets Omega. :)

John C:
Roy, if you can lay your hands on a copy of Canceled Comic Cavalcade, I believe the pencils are there.  I'm pretty sure it was Heck, though.  I seem to remember the issue making a big deal of it.

Inking-wise, my memory's really hazy, but I think that issue was prior to Ordway's first issue.  Rich Buckler is another option, having been the original artist.  And the weirdly-precise, cross-hatched eyes remind me more of the earlier issues.

Roygbiv666:
Yeah, "Canceled Comic Cavalcade" was my first thought, but I can't locate a digital copy online.

The artist(s) listed in the comic and the image are Adrian  Gonzales and Heck, with Ordway on inks. I believe most of the page is Gonzales, but I really can't tell if Steel himself was Heck or not.

If I knew it were Heck I might be moved to buy the page. That said - it is an All-Star Squadron page with Baron Blitzkrieg and Steel ...

the problem is also that the dealer ships via FedEx where I have the privilege of paying "brokerage" fees.

Anybody wanna buy this for me? ;-)

--- Quote from: John C on March 29, 2012, 04:47:11 PM ---Roy, if you can lay your hands on a copy of Canceled Comic Cavalcade, I believe the pencils are there.  I'm pretty sure it was Heck, though.  I seem to remember the issue making a big deal of it.

Inking-wise, my memory's really hazy, but I think that issue was prior to Ordway's first issue.  Rich Buckler is another option, having been the original artist.  And the weirdly-precise, cross-hatched eyes remind me more of the earlier issues.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version