General Category > General Discussion

International Comics topic

<< < (2/14) > >>

Yoc:
Hi Vaillant,
If you would like to write something I'd be happy to add it to the first post on this topic.
Just reply here and I can copy and paste it in.
:)

prady_sp:
Thanks folks.
Its very useful.

tilliban:
@vaillant:
I'm no expert on Italian comics, just read a comics magazine about them:

http://www.reddition.de/index.php/start/neuigkeiten/ausgabe55

Have a look, it's very nice, you can even flip through the minimized issue!

The discussion of German comics we had somewhere else. I'll post it here again (these are the words of a German publisher):

The german comic-market:

It is dominated by three companies, which put out mostly (if not only) foreign material; there is Panini, which publishes the most US-Comics (that means they are publishing Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, IDW, Bongo and some more, all in one publishing house), their most popular books are The Simpsons (which sold here up to 160000 at its peak, which is far more than in US, as I know) and Star Wars.
The biggest is Ehapa/Egmont, which publishes mainly Disney-stuff.
In fact, Disney-Comics (especially Donald Duck) are the most popular comic-books in germany (not western; in fact, western comics are very few here, and they are oddly enough mostly produced in France), there is a weekly magazine called Micky Maus which is now being published for 60 years, and the even more popular monthly paperback "Lustige Taschenbücher" (sells about 250000, about 450 issues so far) plus a lot of other Duck-related books from collections of famous artist like Carl Barks to special editions featuring the adventures of the Fleagle Boys or something.
All the bigger companies have no policy for publishing comics originated in germany, even if they are publishing an occasional one from time to time.

The publishing houses which are producing original german comics are few, and most of them are small underground or independent-publishers like my company (with a meager output of 10 books a year), with one exception: The guys of Mosaik, they are putting out a monthly comic book (which is kind of a leftover of the GDR) on a very professional basis ...

There were some publishers during the 50s and 60s publishing homegrown comics, mainly featuring the tame adventures of knights and jungle heroes, or some SF-heroes. A lot of this stuff was drawn and written by just one man, Hansrudi Wäscher.
With the advent of US-Comics in germany during the 60s (by then western was very popular here) this kind of comics died out. Mainly because the imported stuff was far superior to the often crudely drawn comics of german origin.

vaillant:

--- Quote ---I've split this into a new International Comics topic to allow scanners to talk about their scanners while the international crowd can enjoy their own topic here.
--- End quote ---

Thanks to Yoc, but just a note: By "international" I mean "international". Any discussion, which I auspicate the most fruitful, does not exclude the USA or american comics. :)
In fact, since comics as we conceive them, are born in the USA, it’s only appropriate to have such a discussion here, on the DCM, which – although it’s devoted mostly to comic books – is born out of passion for the medium as a whole.

@Tilliban: Thanks for the very concise recap. It’s handy. Of course I know Ehapa. When I was 14 I used to buy occasionally Micky Maus and some Lustige Taschenbuch (even if I didn’t get anything out of them), sometimes because I just enjoyed to compare the character's names. "Lustiges Taschenbuch" is the german edition of "I Classici di Walt Disney", one of our greatest Disney comics antology, which reprinted the best of the italian production, since 1957.

--- Quote ---There were some publishers during the 50s and 60s publishing homegrown comics, mainly featuring the tame adventures of knights and jungle heroes, or some SF-heroes. A lot of this stuff was drawn and written by just one man, Hansrudi Wäscher.
With the advent of US-Comics in germany during the 60s (by then western was very popular here) this kind of comics died out. Mainly because the imported stuff was far superior to the often crudely drawn comics of german origin.
--- End quote ---
This is a pity, but it seems so strange there hasn’t been more. Anything prior to 1950?

Japan had a comics tradition before the modern post-war conception, and it would be very interesting to know how much and how comics were known before the 1940s in Germany… :)

P.S. I have just purchased the digital editions of TwoMorrows Alter Ego #17 (because of my growing interest for Lou Fine’s art) and of the Quality Companion.
They are amazing, and once again a big "thank you" to Jim Vadeboncoeur for being there!  ;)

vaillant:
P.S.2: That Reddition magazine is great. There must be some serious researcher among you germans. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version