- +

Author Topic: Shazam reprint  (Read 3752 times)

Offline SharanMcQuack

• DCM Member
Shazam reprint
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:49:24 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to post a new topic.

Are you guys aware that some of the Marvel family stories posted here, Like Mary Marvel vs. Nightowl were published by DC comics in Shazam and maybe you can get in trouble by doing that?

Digital Comic Museum

Shazam reprint
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:49:24 AM »

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Shazam reprint
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to post a new topic.

Are you guys aware that some of the Marvel family stories posted here, Like Mary Marvel vs. Nightowl were published by DC comics in Shazam and maybe you can get in trouble by doing that?

Please follow the link for more information on your question here: http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2160.0.html

Thank you for your concern and question.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline SharanMcQuack

• DCM Member
Re: Shazam reprint
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
STILL haven't figured it out. Has anybody seen the Marvel family reboot on "The brave and bold" cartoons?
 In case you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUhakh4_hCY

I don't LIKE the idea of the Marvels, or a reasonable facsimile existing in the same universe as Supes and Batman- but this is GOOD.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:17:22 PM by SharanMcQuack »

Offline SharanMcQuack

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Me again. forgive a fan of the Marvel family with a slight case of being born in 1959: does Minute Man have any super powers?

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
Me again. forgive a fan of the Marvel family with a slight case of being born in 1959: does Minute Man have any super powers?

See: http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Minute-Man

U.S. Army Private Jack Weston wanted to do more to contribute to the war effort than just being stationed at Camp Blaine. He decided to put on a costume and fight Nazis as Minute-Man. He also became a member of the Crime Crusaders Club with Bulletman, Bulletgirl, and Captain Marvel Jr.. He had no powers.

Offline RedMask

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
To be honest,

I don't care much for DC's treatment of Captain Marvel beyond a few token comics -- I thought Jeff Smith's Captain Marvel limited series was excellent -- and appearances in animation such as Justice League Unlimited.  The Brave and the Bold Marvel Family TV episode is probably the single best appearance of Cap and family in film, period.  It's way better than the recent direct-to-video Captain Marvel/Superman mini-film and the Filmation Shazam series.

I don't really think the DC character and Fawcett character are the same guy to be honest.  DC (its editors and writers) gets the idea that Cap and Billy are totally one and the same.  Just by reading a few Golden Age comics that doesn't appear to be the complete case.  I think Jeff Smith gave the most reasonable explanation in that Captain Marvel is sort of a genie-type character who's influenced by Billy but is not necessarily a grown-up Billy Batson.  Mary Marvel and Junior are clearly Mary Batson and Freddy Freeman, though.

I felt Jerry Ordway changed too much in Power of Shazam to put limits on the Captain and to liberate Mary.  (Blechh -- I hated the white Mary Marvel outfit but at least it was better than the black outfit that followed a few years later! ) Judd Winnick and whoever okayed the "Trials of Shazam" mini-series don't get it, period.

For us, the fans of the Golden Age adventures of Captain Marvel, the last 40 years and upcoming revamp (that's ill-advised and will bring a more violent, cynical Cap to the forefront -- it's Geoff Johns, you know blood and body parts will fly) are a sore point.  The good thing about today, though, is that it's much easier and more affordable to own digital copies of the original Golden Age comics as well as excellent hardcopy reprints, too.  I wish more had actually been reprinted and restored for hardcopy -- especially the longer sagas like the original "Monster Society of Evil" -- but such is life!

P.S. -- I'm well aware of the cancelled DC Comics reprint of the original "Monster Society of Evil" storyline.  The problem was partly that I think DC's editors were not aware of the length of that story and what they were getting into logistically.  Yeah, the official story is it got canned because of low pre-orders or the general failure of sales of the DC Comics Library Presents line BUT the original story ran over 2-3 years worth of comics!  Can't help but think that that fact may have discouraged a reprint/restoration of the storyline.

At least I held onto my Titan Books reprint of that storyline!

I know of at least one person who sold his Titan Books reprint believing DC would reprint the darn story...  I probably would have held onto both the Titan and DC reprints had DC gone through with their plans.

Offline Bob Hughes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
DC was only going to scan the previous reprint volume and reissue it anyway.  With probably a loss in quality, but maybe a better binding.  Not much was lost in my opinion.  Although I think they were mostly worried that people looking for the Jeff Smith book might buy it by mistake and have an attack of apoplexy when they saw Hashi, Smashi and Peeyu.  Not to mention Steamboat.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
Pardon me it this is frowned upon here, but I do have a first printing Shazam Archive #1 left over from when I was selling books six or seven years ago. (and a Batman Archives 1 first printing, as well) They are for sale at $40 each, plus postage. Fine in Fine djs. Could use the shelf space. Have other books on comics, too.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

formerly Bud Plant Illustrated Books
JVJ Publishing / Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.
3809 Laguna Ave / Palo Alto, CA 94306-2629
Ph. 650-493-1191  jvj@bpib.com

http://www.bpib.com
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Blue Beetle

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
I saw a topic about Captain Marvel and just figured I'd post aboput him. He's my favorite superhero ever, and personally I'm about 50/50 when it comes to liking/hating what DC has done with him. I haven't read too much of his golden age adventures (just a few issues of WHIZ Comics/Captain Marvel Adventures from here and the first of DC's Shazam archives) but when it comes to his newer stuff, I've liked what I've read of his 1970's Shazam! series (I have the B&W DC Showcase Presents Volume with issues 1-33, well 1-20, the back story of 25, and 26-33 technically) and I honestly enjoyed the Power of Shazam! issues I've read. I am not a big fan of Marvel and Cap jr. taking away some of Cap's power when they transform, but I am a big fan of Cap/Billy being the same person. It gives the character a unique outlook, being a teenager who most other heroes think is an adult. I've always liked him being the ultimate boyscout, more so than even Superman. His appearances in the Young Justice TV show have been interesting, especially the fact that the YJ members learned about him being a teenager in the latest episode. I also liked the Batman: B&B episode, and the JLU Clash episode. Kingdom Come is also one of my favorite DC series, and the fight between Cap and Superman was just epic.

I also thought the more modern Black Adam was a better villain than the older BA. I've read atleast one of his GA appearances, and I didn't find him as interesting as I did in more modern stuff. I do wish Uncle Dudley had acted like he did in the old comics, acting like he had powers.

That said, the Trials of Shazam pretty much ruined him, and Countdown put the last nail in the coffin. Suddenly, Freddy is Shazam, and Mary and Billy have their powers stripped from them. It didn't even make sense, Mary was the one who had for some reason turned evil and had forced Billy to get evil powers, he never willingly became evil, yet the wizard stripped both their powers. Also, while Freddy is a good character, I've never liked him as much as Billy. He should never have been used as a replacement for Captain Marvel.

I don't even like to think about Final Crisis Mary Marvel. She may have made nonsensical decisions in Countdown, but Final Crisis was just horrifing. Sure, she was possesed, but her mostly bald head with pink pigtails(I think thats what you call them) and lightning bolt shaped chest window was just a really stupid decision by the writer/artist. I also have a really bad feeling that the upcoming Shazam! back up story in the New 52 Justice League is going to be terrible. I hope it isn't, but with how the Marvel family has been treated the last few years, its likely.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
DC, more than Marvel, over does the attempt to appeal to a new audience. They take away everything that made the characters special to the older audience. I did like Billy/Cap in YJ. I have enjoyed YJ. I liked the pivotal and interesting use of CM/BB in the latest episode. Pretty cool idea.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
I'm correct in thinking that the shows mentioned above are animations?  Just curious.  And my favourite non-comicbook Cap. Marvel is the serial, which is also one of the best of all the movie serials, up there with the 1st. Spider; Black Commando and a couple of others.
I've always enjoyed Captain Marvel in his G.A. appearances, although they weren't available in Britain until Miller started reprinting them in b&w in the '50s.  Since then, I've acquired some original American Fawcett issues, plus downloads and they are great.
The thing about being a kid, who turns into an adult hero was an excellent idea as kids could readily identify with the character.  Of course, this isn't the only example of kid heroes, (and, bearing in mind the question re. Minute Man, and setting aside the potentially contentious argument that many so-called superheroes should really be described as masked mystery men) with Robin being perhaps the prime example, featuring as lead in solo stories sans Batman.  Star Spangled Kid is also obvious and in later years, in Britain, we have the excellent Billy the Cat and Leopard of Lime street. (The latter having super powers)
But I have to say that all the Crisis/Final Crisis and even Kingdom Come leave me confused and bored and I'm pleased to say I know little about recent or current developments with the Marvel Family and from what I read here, I'm glad.
Just to explain, while I initially liked the look of Kingdom Come and some of the ideas, I quckly realised that it was boring despite the initial cosmetic impact of the art and many of the figures and faces were similar.  Despite being an excellent poster/cover artist, Mr. Ross seems all show and little substance when it comes to telling a comic story, in my opinion.  (Actually, when I think about it, a few other fans I talk to regularly, feel the same)
Blue Beetle, download as many Marvel Family issues from here as you can store and sit back and be truly entertained.  You know it makes sense.

Stephen Montgomery

Offline Blue Beetle

• DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm planning on getting a lot of GA Captain Marvel from this site. I already downloaded the Monster Society of Evil collection, and I intend to get more, especially after seeing his new look

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/QBall316/CK%20Stuff/30adb40a.jpg
This isn't the worst thing they could have done to him, but still makes me angry as a Cap fan. Plus, the description of him from the DC blog says he's more of a magic hero and they actually call Billy a troubled teenager, which I really hope it means that he just has problems, not that he's a punk or theif or something, which with new DC I could see them doing to him.

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
I think Jeff Smith gave the most reasonable explanation in that Captain Marvel is sort of a genie-type character who's influenced by Billy but is not necessarily a grown-up Billy Batson.  Mary Marvel and Junior are clearly Mary Batson and Freddy Freeman, though.

@RedMask: This is a great explanation! Thank you from an italian newly-found fan of the original Captain Marvel, which knew little or nothing of the Fawcett characters before. Besides, I understand DC could not use the name, but the idea of naming Capt. Marvel "Shazam" is not functional in the first place, as Shazam is the mage, right?

and I intend to get more, especially after seeing his new look

@Blue Beetle: What’s this *@#^∞?
To me, that I have never read it previously, it seems that what’s great about Fawcett's Capt. Marvel and the other characters, is precisely the immediate optimism and simplicity, this taking issues lightly and directly with a cheering attitude, without frills. Which, in the end, is an unshakable faith in the goodness of existence underneath. This characterization is nonsense.
Well, a great deal of what Marvel and DC currently do is nonsense, anyway…  ;)