General Category > Artist Spotting

How to start a research on Charles Biro

<< < (2/2)

vaillant:
Sure Yoc, if I’ll be able to get in touch with him. :)

In 2002, as I was already fascinated by Daredevil (in fact I have been fascinated since the early 1990s, as we started to buy our first Overstreet guides and the little I could see from those small b/w cover reproductions impressed me more than early Timelys) I have been briefly in touch with Michael Norwitz, who used to have a site which is now defunct. When I asked him if he knew some collector or person to know more of Daredevil and Biro he addressed me to a guy named Mark Svensson. I never contacted him, since those were still pretty early Internet times, and surely golden age comics weren’t so easily available to purchase online, let alone to look at, but I should try that old email address as well.

Thanks again.

Yoc:
 ;D
Your story is eerily similar to my own V.
I too fell hard for Daredevil while reading the Overstreet 1980 edition.
Silver Streak Comics #6 with that classic cover just mesmerized me for years and was I thrilled to finally get to read it online over 20 years later.

The last 6 years have been a golden age for comic scanning and sharing.

vaillant:
It seems to me Biro knew what you should expect from a cover. :)
In fact, I was lucky enough to buy a Daredevil #45 many years ago, when on eBay there was almost nothing.
I must admit I was a little disappointed, since the internal artwork wasn’t so impressive, and I expected to find more Daredevil in action, while the Little Wise Guys were starting to become the book stars'. Anyway, it was my first Golden Age book.
Not that I have many, now. Costly as they are you are forced to very slow proceeding, but at least now sellers are more approachable from Europe, thanks also to eBay (which has the drawback to alter the perceived value of a comic, if you want my opinion).

If I may ask, how old are you Yoc? In 1980 I think I was more or less reading The Eternals and Omega the Unknown (in italian), which appeared both on an antologic title dedicated to the Eternals. See here: http://atomik67.altervista.org/COMICS-EDITORI/CORNO/ETERNI-DOCUMENTI/Eterni_Crono_1.htm
I was 11 years old, and I did not even know an Overstreet price guide existed. :)

Yoc:
I'm a couple years older than you V.  And I was reading The Micronauts and Rom at the time along with Ghost Rider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version