- +

Author Topic: stygzy uploads  (Read 3566 times)

Offline stygzy

• DCM Member
stygzy uploads
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »
I have a quick question. I was getting some information on some old comics I have and i happened to open a link to this thread. I happen to have "Bill Battle" #2 (Six Feet Under) sitting right here and thought I might be able to help you guys out. I have a scanner I can hook up but I just wanted to make sure I understand what you guys want before I waste time for all of us. So am I just supposed to scan the book cover to cover and up it to the site?

Digital Comic Museum

stygzy uploads
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
stygzy uploads
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:55:24 AM »
It would be most welcome and cover to cover is preferred. 300 dpi (ppi) is preferred but that depends on how much time you have and the speed of your scanner. I think the majority of the scans on site are 150 dpi. Before scanning set your page naming and start with 01 rather than 1 so that they will sort in order. After all pages are scanned zip the file and upload away. Thanks for wanting to contribute.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
stygzy uploads
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
There is a topic in the FAQ section on how to upload to the site stygzy.  
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1882.0.html
Thanks for sharing.
:)

Offline stygzy

• DCM Member
stygzy uploads
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
Damn that took forever scanning that in but it's not letting me log into the main site so I can upload it. Im guessing i'll have to wait 24 hours before it will let me log in since I registered last night, which sucks because I was hoping to be done with this whole thing by now. I'll just try agian tonight or tomorrow. I compressed the file to a .cbz and its 72.6Mb, its 36 pages (I scanned it cover to cover), all at 300 dpi. My usual scanner isn't working so I had to use an old compaq one that acts up a little bit. Some of the scans have a faint red tint on the right half of the image. That and the fact the comic is from 1952 and it's not mint made it difficult to scan without hurting it. Despite all that I think it turned out well, all the text and images are sharp and readable. I hope it will be acceptable, I guess we will find out in the morning.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
stygzy uploads
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
Thank you for your effort.
From my own experience I can say: Scanning and uploading is fairly easy - once you get the hang of it!
The only way to make your scans smaller is by cropping them down with an image software (preferabley some version of Photoshop).
But I think all that is covered in our forum thread about scanning and such...
So be patient - and proud to present your first scan.
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
stygzy uploads
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »
Hi stygzy,
If you can't login on the download site again tonight use the CONTACT link and let me know.
I can reset your PW which usually solves the problem if it lasts more than a short time.

-Yoc

Offline stygzy

• DCM Member
stygzy uploads
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Still cant login so I made a flickr account and uploaded them to it. just search user "stygzy" the only thing I have on it is the one set for Bill Battle #2. Sorry for the headache guys but one of your guys can just down and up them on here. Let me know how I did. Thanks.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
stygzy uploads
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
Stygzy, I'm sending your silentbutdeadlymimes email address a letter.

Offline stygzy

• DCM Member
stygzy uploads
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »
finally got in using epiphany web browser. I guess ill up the .cbz and my work here might not be done. I was emailing one of your members to make sure a few of my scans were alright an I had him take a look at my compiled list of comics and I might be able to up 2 more.
("Battle Stories 2 and Billy the Kid 44 are the only unscanned public domain books/ Battle STories will be welcome on DCM while Billy is OK for GAC")
Whats the GAC mean?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:35:18 PM by stygzy »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
stygzy uploads
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »
GAC is a sister site. Has a little broader range of books including pd silver age.
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: stygzy uploads
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
Thanks stygzy!
I've split your posts off into it's own topic.
Your Bill Battle is now on the site.

Yes, Billy The Kid 44 falls after DCM's Dec 1959 cut-off date.  GAC would be the best place to share it.

Offline stygzy

• DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
thanks im glad everything finally went through. how was the quality of the bill battle i uploaded? if it was alright ill up the other two.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
We were wondering if the inside front cover really is green on the leftt side or if it was a scanner glitch?

When doing edits I usually resize my final page size to 1200 pixels wide and save at jpg level 9 in Photoshop.
That will give me a page between 800k to 1mb in size.  Nothing wrong with yours other than they are on the large size.
A 68pg book might be a problem - our max file size allowed on the site is around 100mb (a bit more is ok).

A good first scan all in all.  Better than my first scan.
:)

Offline stygzy

• DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. scanner glitch. pages are white(little brown from age). i can rescan that page if you want. I've never really done photo editing so I would probably rather leave it to one of your professionals. some of the pages have a faint red tinge on the right side and maybe(cant tell) a greenish tint on the left side. probably my scanner. Can you guys fix that with photoshop? If I scan those pages a couple times I can get it to come out right if you want.

I will up the "Battle Stories 2 and Billy the Kid 44 to here and GAC". Those are the only other ones I have that you guys dont.

Reading comics isn't one of my hobbies but I have them and I'm glad to help. You guys are the experts so I don't mind uploading the originals in whatever state you want and then you can edit and reupload them once you have worked your magic. This is for you guys not me so just tell me what you want and ill try to do my best.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:04:12 AM by stygzy »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 08:11:04 AM »
GAC's upload is not working at this time but we hope to have new and improved at the end of the month. So if you can scan Billy and keep it till then great.