developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Nitpicking a great show  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Nitpicking a great show
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
Finally got the complete run of M*A*S*H for Christmas and am loving it. I was happily surprised to hear them mention Captain Marvel comics in a few episodes. Specifically they say "Captain Marvel Anual" each time they mention the book for some reason. Anyway, I was shocked when later on in the series they show Radar laying down on his cot with an Avengers comic laying on his chest. I think it's issue 70 from 1969 or 1970. Little things like this annoy the heck out of me. They also mention points several times which wasn't in use at the time. I know I'm being petty about this, I mean I love the series, but it drives me nuts! I remember many years ago I started watching a WWII movie about the air war in Europe. They painted P-51's gray and pretended they were German planes! Couldn't watch after that.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Digital Comic Museum

Nitpicking a great show
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Nitpicking a great show
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:57:09 AM »
I tend to listen to more than watch most shows. I have probably seen every episode of MASH without noticing the Avengers comic but it would have seemed out of place. Yes the editors should catch things like that. I do not know enough about planes to catch their wrong usage and probably most would not.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
Anyway, I was shocked when later on in the series they show Radar laying down on his cot with an Avengers comic laying on his chest. I think it's issue 70 from 1969 or 1970.

It's issue 60, "January 1969", in that episode.  Issue 70 has the Squadron Sinister on the cover.

Offline glammazon

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »
Far from being an error, that was most likely a deliberate gag and a reference to a war movie from 1946 in which a soldier puts a stamp on a letter during the war that did not come out until 1946! ;D

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »
Perhaps the propmaster was unaware that people would be watching DVDs of the series 30+ years later.  :)

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:51:03 AM »
I actually remember catching that goof in the M*A*S*H episode years ago, probably during a 1980s rerun as the Lil Missus used to watch it a lot in syndication then.

This sort of thing happens quite frequently in TV and movies but most people never catch it.  When you think about it, what percentage of the population is likely to catch that comic book faux pas?  Maybe .05%, at best I'd guess.  Easily an acceptable risk when you've got a weekly TV show to turn out quickly and on budget.

Best

Joe

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
I understand their dilemma. That's why I opted to title my post "nitpicking" as I know I'm being too hard on them but it still bothers me. I mean I know it'd be a little difficult to procure a 20+ year old comic just to make me happy! I drive my wife insane sometimes!  :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:24:34 AM by Astaldo711 »
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"