General Category > Artist Spotting

Art Spotting Exercises

<< < (2/3) > >>

JVJ (RIP):

--- Quote from: fan777 on January 31, 2012, 09:55:57 AM ---I put together a file as an art spotting exercise and decided to share it with forum members. The focus is on Maurice Whitman, an under-recognized artist who worked for many companies.  He was there when Fiction House folded and was involved with a lot of the last covers and stories.  With the Iger shop's group participation approach to page production, it's been a frustrating process to attribute any page to one particular artist unless he or she signed it.  Jim V tells me to throw out all references to Iger's shop more than three years old.  The preponderance of question marks in the GDC on the 50's production of Jumbo and Jungle presents a challenge for the new art spotter.  We do have more resources than ever before thanks to technology and superb research from the better fanzines like Alter Ego.  Check out my small effort on Whitman and see what you see.  I'm interested in your feedback especially if you have artistic training. 

--- End quote ---
so where is this file?  (|:{>

narfstar:
I am always reluctant to ascribe inks to Trapani or Alascia because they seem very proud to sign their works. Especially when paired with Nicholas and they have several signings during this time. It seems a lot of people can easily identify Alascia inks though. What are the main things that I should look for?  I happen to think he does a very good job, especially at Charlton wages. Molno I always see in some faces. I am not always right with a guess but with some they are obvious, probably when he does both jobs. If the third story is the Tallarico/Fraccio pair then the last story is not. When Romon gets the books maybe he will weigh in. I am sending him a batch of Charltons after I get them scanned. I buy mostly to scan while he actually is a completist.

Yoc:

--- Quote from: JVJ on February 19, 2012, 11:10:38 PM ---so where is this file?  (|:{>

--- End quote ---

That would be here Jim -
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=17177

JVJ (RIP):
Here's what I think, Carl, FWIW:
Pg. 10 - Jungle 133 cover - NO
Pg. 12 - Jungle 134 cover - NO
Pg. 14 - Jungle 135 cover - NO
Pg. 16 - Jungle 138 cover - NO
Pg. 18 - Jungle 144 cover - Possibly
Pg. 22 - Jungle 142 cover - Possibly
Pg. 24 - Jungle 145 cover - NO
Pg. 28 - Jungle 148 cover - Possibly
Pg. 35 - Jungle 160 - Possibly
Pg. 37 - Jungle 136 cover - NO

While it's not 100% indicative, Whitman primarily drew Ann's top threaded through a loop of cord around her neck. He VERY seldom did the "bikini strap" version. There are exceptions, but very few.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

narfstar:
BTW Jim with the Whitman discussion if you get Tex Ritter 43 here are my thoughts
cover Giordano/Masulli in some configuration. Tex looks like a signed Masulli cover Tex while the bad guy looks very Giordano.
First story story P Whitman I Tallarico.
Get Ritter Alone P Molno I Fraccio or Trapani
Talbot's Badge all Tallarico
Vanishing Herd GCD had P Maneley no ? with Trapani ? but the inks do not look like the signed next story, I think it may be Tallarico

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version