General Category > Artist Spotting

Art Spotting Exercises

<< < (3/3)

fan777 (RIP):

--- Quote from: JVJ on February 20, 2012, 05:21:25 PM ---Here's what I think, Carl, FWIW:
Pg. 10 - Jungle 133 cover - NO
Pg. 12 - Jungle 134 cover - NO
Pg. 14 - Jungle 135 cover - NO
Pg. 16 - Jungle 138 cover - NO
Pg. 18 - Jungle 144 cover - Possibly
Pg. 22 - Jungle 142 cover - Possibly
Pg. 24 - Jungle 145 cover - NO
Pg. 28 - Jungle 148 cover - Possibly
Pg. 35 - Jungle 160 - Possibly
Pg. 37 - Jungle 136 cover - NO

While it's not 100% indicative, Whitman primarily drew Ann's top threaded through a loop of cord around her neck. He VERY seldom did the "bikini strap" version. There are exceptions, but very few.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

--- End quote ---

Hi Jim,

I picked out splash pages that were signed by Whitman or attributed to him by GCD. From what I can see on the covers, the girl has the loop of cord on all but 162.  There is a certain look in her eyes that is consistant in all the splashes.  I was using that mostly in choosing covers.  Either a number of artists worked on the same page or Whtman was vey inconsistant in how he portrayed the male body.  The splash for 146 shows a very thick body not repeated anywhere else.  In any case I appreciate your opinion. I was hoping some of the art spotting wanabees would join in.

JVJ (RIP):

--- Quote from: narfstar on February 20, 2012, 06:43:11 PM ---BTW Jim with the Whitman discussion if you get Tex Ritter 43 here are my thoughts
cover Giordano/Masulli in some configuration. Tex looks like a signed Masulli cover
Tex while the bad guy looks very Giordano.
First story story P Whitman I Tallarico.
Get Ritter Alone P Molno I Fraccio or Trapani
Talbot's Badge all Tallarico
Vanishing Herd GCD had P Maneley no ? with Trapani ? but the inks do not look like the signed next story, I think it may be Tallarico

--- End quote ---
I'll be honest, narf,
I haven't the vaguest idea what Pat Masuli looks like. The Gunman on the cover is pure Giordano (p & i)
I'll believe you when you say Whitman on the first story. I can't recognize any Tallarico in the inks.
Get Ritter is Molno and Trapani.
Vanishing Herd is pure Maneely. Other than John Severin, I don't think ANYone every inked Maneely. He probably, knowing Charlton's rates, drew this with his brush.

(|:{>

JVJ (RIP):

--- Quote from: fan777 on February 20, 2012, 07:48:23 PM ---Hi Jim,

I picked out splash pages that were signed by Whitman or attributed to him by GCD. From what I can see on the covers, the girl has the loop of cord on all but 162.  There is a certain look in her eyes that is consistant in all the splashes.  I was using that mostly in choosing covers.  Either a number of artists worked on the same page or Whtman was vey inconsistant in how he portrayed the male body.  The splash for 146 shows a very thick body not repeated anywhere else.  In any case I appreciate your opinion. I was hoping some of the art spotting wanabees would join in.

--- End quote ---

Well, now you've got a second opinion - and it will probably be the only one you get. I waited three weeks to give other people a chance, but seems that no one is going to step in. Thanks for doing this and I can only tell you what I THINK. By no means am I the "definitive" voice. I'm just sayin'.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

narfstar:
Since I think I matched cover Whitman to an interior Whitman on Tex I will give Jungle a go. Here are a few. I think I may print them off and look closer but

133 cover NO too intense faces
134 cover NO the girls face struck me immediately as not the same.
135 possible
138 NO again the faces

I think the no's have it on those because the faces just don't fit. Jim and I only disagree on 135. Looking at the signed pictures, I can see enough similarities. Is this a for sure No on 135 Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version