- +

Author Topic: Your Pull List  (Read 1880 times)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Your Pull List
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
Seems ironic how little we post about the actual comics we read. Here is a forum for letting everyone know how you feel about your regulars. If you get them regularly you hopefully like something about them.

I just finished reading the HIT LIST AGENDA. This was a multi-mini-series event by Aspen. In 2009 Aspen put out Executive Assistant Iris and I liked the mini-series. This year they gave us 5 issues of Iris plus three other Executive Assistants in trilogies. I saved them up and read them in order.
I can't say it was great but it was a pretty good story. Aspen will be producing a v3 Iris and an ongoing Executive Assistant Assassins so I must not be the only one who like them. I will be getting both series.

Birds Of Prey is a very good read. I was disappointed to see Gail Simone leave the title and worried about the new 52. I really miss the old BoP but do like the new one.

Justice League International is another new 52 I continue to enjoy. I abandoned JLA after reading the first issue. I have read the others but did not like them especially the atypical Superman. JLI on the other hand has more of the 80's JLI feel.

Avengers Academy is my only Marvel pull and I still love it. Christos Gage rocks as a writer.

Near Death from Image is well worth checking out. A hitman has a near death experience that changes his life.

Samurai's Blood from Image was a six issue mini that I had pulled from the solicitations. Mistake. I should learn from experience to only pull after reading the first couple. I made the same mistake with Widow Warriors. You can guess I did not like it.

Red Spike from Image has been OK but it looks like the last issue may never come out.

FEMFORCE is a MUST get for anyone reading this. Now besides the always entertaining Femforce you get N.E.D.O.R. Agents. Taking the heroes from the classic GA and their offspring with great art by Will Meugniot. If you are not getting this call you LCS now.

Critter from Big Dog just ended her four issue run. Enjoyable old style superhero fun. Hope it comes back.
Legend of OZ: Wicked West also by Big Dog puts Dorothy on the Yellowbrick road in the old west. Excellent read I hope they get to finish it.

Orchid from Dark Horse is another one that I enjoy but is not holding up. I hope it picks back up.

John Carter books from Dynamite are starting to wear thin. I still enjoy them but too much of a good thing gets old. Same with their Green Hornet.
I still get the regular GH and Kato and continue to enjoy Kato more.

Star Trek/LSH not bad but I have to try to enjoy it on its merits because I hate alternate change the past/future stories.

Phoenix from Atlas has been just OK. Does anyone know if the Atlas Unified ever came out? It was on my list but I never got it.

MOONSTONE is hit and miss from Diamond. I may or may not get what I ask for. I have the first two Phases of the Moon but am not reading them until the third and final comes out if it comes out.

I guess I get more books that I thought. Please list your recommendations to get or avoid.

Digital Comic Museum

Your Pull List
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Your Pull List
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
Hi Jim,
I've been reading FABLES and its spin-offs since they started.
I've also enjoyed the old ABC TOM STRONG series for the fun SA feel it had.
I had OtherEric recommend PLANETARY to me which was quite impressive.  He also recommended CHEW to me which was very different but still lots of fun.
On my own I tried THE BOYS which is really out there, violent and full of sex - NOT for everyone but the concept of a group to control all the deviant superheroes is fun and the characters are very well realized.  Again, not likely one you'd like though.
I tried some EMPOWERED which is full of cheesecake and bondage with a heavy manga feel.  Surprisingly the characters are much more realized than I expected for such a book but it's the weakest of the books I've mentioned.

Finally ALTER-EGO!  How can anyone on this site Not be reading the number 1 magazine devoted to these wonderful old comics we love to collect?

Thanks for starting the topic Narf.
:)

Just finished reading ROOTS today as well.  Non-comics but a good read.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
I only have a few titles on my standing order and they are ;- All Star Western; Near Death (Image), which is rather a good idea and well told; Sixth Gun (Oni), if any more appear; Victorian Undead (Wildstorm) again, if any more appear.  And, obviously, as you say, Alter Ego.  Any thing else I buy will be off the shelf and there are fewer and fewer titles and lower numbers of those titles being stocked now in shops in Scotland.  I really need to see a copy of Previews regularly.  As for stuff that is finished but out in tpb, Planetary is one of the best.  Also, Captain Swing, the Warren Ellis story should be available in tpb and I enjoyed it. Tom Strong didn't appeal except for the meet ups with the Nedor heroes and that was highly entertaining.
Someone, somewhere mentioned Bryan Talbot (now that I think about it, it was over on Comics UK)  and I would suggest picking up Heart Of Empire, available as a tpb.  Quite excellent work.  And the other title I look out for is Jack Staff by Paul Grist. Worth a try if you haven't already indulged.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
I got Planetary but have not gotten around to reading it. Seems I need to.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
The only problem with Heart of Empire is that on one level you really should have read Luther Arkwright first, but Heart of Empire shows Talbot at such a higher level that it's almost scary.

Somewhere in storage I actually have several of the Near Myths issues with early Arkwright by Talbot and some other stories by Grant Morrison.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
To further underscore just how WEIRD I've always been (and remain to this day), In 40+ years of buying comics at comic shops, I have NEVER had a pull list at any shop. Every week I would scan the racks manually and in person and simply pull the books I liked myself. Currently I go once every couple of months and pick up my copy of Glamourpuss. It's always there because no one else buys it. Lee's Comics always carries one of each title, so I'm pretty safe. I did miss ONE issue (#18, and it's up to about 23) while I was in Paris, but c'est la vie. It'll show up somewhere eventually.

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »
I got Planetary but have not gotten around to reading it. Seems I need to.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.   Part of what makes it interesting is its reboot of some of the most popular heroes and origin stories with a modern (and slightly dark) sensibility.

BC
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »
Seems ironic how little we post about the actual comics we read.

Like JVJ, I've never had a pull list, and I'm not reading very many books at the moment.  The most recent books I've picked up are the first three collections of Ex-Machina, which I'm enjoying, but I'm not yet sure if I'm gonna stick it out for the long haul, and Darwyn Cooke's Parker books.

BCing you
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
Since my previous reply, I've added a few titles to my standing order.  Don't know if it's simply coincidence or there just happen to be a few more comics that tickle my fancy or a bit of both.  With Alan Davis drawing and Mark Farmer inking Captain America, I have to have this comic and it's odd given the edict that no foreign creators would be working for Marvel.  The art is simply gorgeous in places.
Mudman by Paul Grist is good fun and well done, so that's on.
The Activity by Edmondson/Gerads from Image is a seriously good read and I'm already champimg at the bit to see what happens next.
Finally, surprise, surprise, I enjoyed Daredevil and I think I'll stay with it for a while.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
I forgot to mention Mudman but I enjoyed it also. I did not pick up my pull from last week and should get it and this weeks tomorrow. Look forward to it.