developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Jeff Cannell Scans  (Read 6368 times)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Jeff Cannell Scans
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »
I think Marie Severin said she kept the paper in mind when coloring for EC.

-Eric

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »

I can't cite the quote, but I believe it was in response to some of Marvel's Masterworks series where the silver age coloring schemes seem off putting on the high gloss white paper.

I seem to remember an artist discussing the pink used for Caucasian skin becoming more flesh-like on pulp. I'll do some googling to try to find the source, but I could just as easily be mistaken.

Certainly have been lots of controversies and opinions about old comics and coloring and paper and scans, and I'm sure that will continue forever. And I am also certain that many artists have had strong opinions on the subject.

I read your comment to indicate that someone stated that the coloring used on pulp paper had an influence on how artists drew their strips, which I had never heard before. I have heard about using color for things like "holds" (like Powell did with his Shadow stories) and such and leaving out lines for colors to imply them, but never heard that the paper had anything to do with it. I'm not claiming that no one said what you quoted, just that I'd love to know the source.

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
I think Marie Severin said she kept the paper in mind when coloring for EC.

-Eric

I'm positive she did, Eric, but did she keep it in mind when she was drawing? That's the question, or the quotation I'm trying to source. Were artists pre-1970s influenced by the color of the paper?

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
I can't see where the coloring of the paper would have any influence on the drawing. Now the TYPE of paper, that's something else. I seem to recall reading something a few years back from either Carmine Infantino or Joe Kubert about having to adjust their work early on so it would reproduce well on newsprint where the ink would bleed.

-Eric

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 06:08:54 AM »
Here's three things related to drawing, printing and coloring that I can remember Joe Kubert telling us when I had him for a teacher (1979-82) at the Kubert School.  These all were in regards to the way comics were printed back then on newsprint.

1. You should draw to avoid dropout and bleeding so don't use too fine of a line and don't bunch your hatching too close together as the first will quite likely drop out and the later turn into a black blob when it's printed.

2. You should draw so that your black and white work will hold up on its own as you often had no control over the coloring either in the color guide making or in the color printing.  If your art was solid though it would stand up better under a weak coloring job and poor color printing.  In other words don't depend on the color to help your art and consider the fact they it may hurt it to some degree.

3. You should keep in mind that the color guides you prepared with Doc Martin dyes (which were rather bright colors) on white paper would look more muted when printed.

Best

Joe

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 07:55:29 AM »
There is also to say that the printed quality (paper+print) of 1940s comic books, up to the early 1970s I would say, is a lot better than what has come afterwards. For example, there are Doctor Strange stories drawn by Rudy Nebres (I have a Rudy Nebres original) or Tom Sutton, which were drawn and inked with high detail, a wonderful rendition which got almost completely "massacred" by the bad printed quality of 1970s.

Said this, Marie Severin is simply great.  ;)

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 08:13:30 AM »
Fantastic-- I have number 9 as well,

Sidenote-- I emailed N. Chris Couch who works with Jerry Robinson about my London Scans, Jerry does not have any of these issues, but according to Chris, DarkHorse might do a London VOlume, So be sure to hold on to the raw 300dpi tiffs of the London story in issue 8. It would be great if the DCM could help Jerry put this volume together!!

I have never been a Batman reader, but as we were talking about this, I see Jerry Robinson just passed away, and I’m very sad.  :'(
Jeff, now it would be really great if we could help in that reprint. Do you know how long the "London" feature lasted? I have not looked at all the early digital Daredevils yet.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
There is also to say that the printed quality (paper+print) of 1940s comic books, up to the early 1970s I would say, is a lot better than what has come afterwards. For example, there are Doctor Strange stories drawn by Rudy Nebres (I have a Rudy Nebres original) or Tom Sutton, which were drawn and inked with high detail, a wonderful rendition which got almost completely "massacred" by the bad printed quality of 1970s.

Said this, Marie Severin is simply great.  ;)

While I've seen plenty of miserably printed comics from the Golden Age (were Charlton's ever decently printed?) I suspect you're right that comic book printing had deteriorated by the 1970s.  Much of that I would probably blame on the cost-cutting introduction of plastic printing plates at the time.

Still, it was that "high detail" work that was exactly the kind of thing Kubert was telling us not too get too enamored with as it would be the first thing lost in the comic book printing process.

Best

Joe

Offline jeffcannell

• Scanner and Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »
I have never been a Batman reader, but as we were talking about this, I see Jerry Robinson just passed away, and I’m very sad.  :'(
Jeff, now it would be really great if we could help in that reprint. Do you know how long the "London" feature lasted? I have not looked at all the early digital Daredevils yet.

Heartbreaking news on so many levels... Robinson was one of the greatest class acts in the history of the medium. London went from issues 2-9 I believe.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:06:08 PM by Yoc »

Offline jeffcannell

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Silver Streak 11 has been posted via FTP!!
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »
Silver Streak 11 has been posted via FTP!!

more fiche than I would like, but the DD Claw bit and the Silver Streak Bit are completely paper!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »
Now up! 
It has 12 fiche but as Jeff said, the key features are in paper.
Thanks very much Jeff, you've made a big splash on the site.  We're loving these!
:)

Offline jeffcannell

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 07:26:44 PM »
I somehow deleted two of the pages that I had scanned, but I already shipped the issue out to an ebay buyer. I like the Captain Battle Stories (especially the fact that they had a strong continuity between them) I wish that I could have contributed a complete Captain Battle Paper Scan.

Awhile back I bought a number of Lev Gleason and Columbia books in hope to scan and distribute them, but life got too busy. During Thanksgiving and Christmas time I hope to scan and edit my books, until all of them are uploaded. Unfortunately current budgets do not entail getting ahold of more Golden Age stories. So my max contribution to this site will probably be 75 books!!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
That's a healthy number of books Jeff.
If you see any that are already on the site please check the existing scan.  Many are incomplete and for sure wont be at the 300dpi setting you have been using.

Looking forward to future shares by you,
-Yoc

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
That’s just great Jeff.  ;)
Everyone's contribution is precious, no matter how little, especially for us non-United States not-English native speakers, which have never had the opportunity of reading the majority of the Golden Age stories, except for the occasional reprints, mostly by Marvel and DC.

Is there a list, more or less complete, of all the books which are now Public Domain?

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
That is not little amount Jeff. We can surely use more Big Shots if you have them.