General Category > Artist Spotting

Art Spotting in general

(1/22) > >>

srca1941:
Your work is very much appreciated Jim. I've been attempting to learn/teach myself art spotting for years, ever since Jerry Bails educated me about the Cazeneuves and Pierce Rice, and pointed out a few spotting tricks to me. Who's Who, and this site as a reference (to double check my identifications against known samples), are invaluable to me. I'm confident enough to make "best guess" attempts with each scan I do, but it is indeed nerve-wracking at times simply because I don't want to accidently contribute to the glut of misinformation already out there. I always try to mark with a question mark when I'm at all uncertain about any I.D., and leave credits as “unknown” when I am really uncertain about something. I know that if I'm not careful I might lead others to bad identifications in the future.

It's always a pleasure to hear from more experienced spotters like yourself, and reassuring when I see you reach the same conclusions I have made, or would make. So it can't be said enough Jim, thank you VERY much for ALL of the contributions you have made to this site, and to fandom in general.

-Eric

tilliban:
I agree with scra1941 - art spotting can be a nightmare!
But it is just hard routine.
Jim trained me to spot two dozen ACE artists. I enjoy this very much.
The frustration sets in when you realize that there are hundreds of artists out there.
So every little bit of training helps. The internet helps. GCD and DCM help.
We should open up an "Art Spotters Guild" of people who can recognize "their" artists.
Some specialize in spotting Charlton art, Harvey art, Quality art and so forth...
A list of people and their spotting abilities might help to get in toch with each other.
Imagine sample pages of unknown art being sent around through a mailing list and an international community of spotters taking their shots at it.
This could be fun!

Yoc:
An art spotter league is a great idea T!
The Timely/Atlas gang were just lamenting the lack of Harvey spotters the other day.

srca1941:
Sounds like fun to me, and a great way to learn to spot more artists!

Personally, I'm best with superhero artists. My weaknesses are humor/funny animal books, and spotting inkers unless they have a really specific style or are associated with pencillers I know well. For instance, I can pick out a few inkers who often worked on Ken Battefield's art at Nedor.

-Eric

srca1941:

--- Quote from: JVJ on December 04, 2011, 09:45:31 AM ---It's already (as Tillman will attest) getting harder and harder to dredge up the names that go with the styles - and there's no "reference" books that will take you from a style to a name. Sigh...

--- End quote ---

There may not be a style to name guide, but an artist database (kind of like Who’s Who, but not focused so much on credits) with JPGs of known samples and spotting tips would be possible, and very beneficial. A Wikipedia of comic book artists built by spotters. It would focus on artists' stylistic distinctions, little habits they may have had (like Curt Swan's tendency to draw the middle and ring fingers together), and general ways to spot an artist’s work. Hmm, this could have possibilities…

-Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version