- +

Author Topic: A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...  (Read 9568 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
This is pulled from GAC's forum.  We should have done this on day one.
Sorry for the delay.
-Yoc

To see an example of a JVJ Index card look at the following link -
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=9670

===================

Having just mailed a box of comics to OtherEric and included some art notes, I think it's important that people realize what all the dots and stars and pencil marks mean. These cards are working notes that have been compiled over a period of 35 years by me and Hames Ware. They are by NO MEANS to be taken as gospel truth - we've learned an awful LOT over that span and some of the notes have not been updated in decades. Plus, the cards range from neat and clear to rushed and cryptic. Please take them for what they are - the state of the knowledge of two people over a span of time. And here's how to interpret the symbols we use:

1. an * indicates a signed story (could be initialed or just first or last name)

2. an n (a small n by the name) indicates that name was sneaked somewhere in the story

3. no notation, just a name in ink, means that we have no doubts that that is who drew the story. YOU may have some, and that's perfectly okay, but we feel confident that we have identified the artist. Since WE knew who we were talking about, sometimes only a last name is used. I'd suggest the Who's Who for further info or just ask me and I'll try to respond.

4. a ° (a small circle next to the name) indicates that this person is our BEST GUESS as to the artist who drew the story.

5. a ? indicates just that: there is a possibility that this person drew all or part of the story, or that the style reminds us of said person. It's a guess, that's all.

6. if a name is in pencil then we are less confident than if it's in ink.

7. Hames and I often "bicker" back and forth about IDs in our search for something concrete, so occasionally you might encounter the remnants of our discussions. I'm not "prettying up" the cards before sending them, so please don't feel too confused if you see signs of our disagreements.

8. a small w will indicate (usually) a writer credit, but long ago we used it to label a Wild Guess. Hopefully you will be able to sort out our meaning from the context of the usage.

9. inkers are indicated both by an ampersand (&) and a slash (/). We weren't very consistent. Sorry.

I hope all that helps you decipher the information. These were never done with the idea that anyone other than Hames and me would see them, so we didn't invest a lot of effort in them. They were just one way of keeping track of the data we'd gathered over the years. Hames has a completely separate and distinct way of doing it that would probably make us all faint. Trust me, the cards might be inconsistent and messy, but they capture the work we've done and should prove to be of some help to those wanting to learn more about the artists in the comics that they are downloading.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
Please NOTE
To the kind souls who are adding data from my cards to GCD:
It's pretty important that the pencilled-in entries are entered in GCD with a QUESTION MARK. (Please see item #6 above.)

Remember that the information on these cards have been input over a span of 40 years and were created as notes to myself. I'm happy to share the info, but only if I'm "quoted" properly.

Thanks. Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: A JVJ book scan - how to read the index cards for each...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »
Jim, nonetheless, this is a wonderful work.
I mean, despite of its accuracy or intended scope, it is done pretty systematically and is especially precious for non-US readers like me, which could have serious difficulties in identifying the artists.
For example, I would have never expected a very young Gil Kane drawing "Sky Wolf" on Air Fighters Comics.

As I think it’s pretty in-topic, to which artist would you attribute early Airboy stories from the same title?
I know Charles Biro conceived the character and is credited as writer, while Al Camy is credited as the artist (at least for the first episode), but I have read somewhere else that both Biro and Camy worked on the art (which seems appropriate, looking at the drawings of issue #1 and to other Camy works: the first Airboy tale has Biro’s layout dynamism, and many poses are obviously his). I think they collaborated on both pencils and inks, but it’s just an impression. What do you think? :)