developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Upcoming Uploads  (Read 2629 times)

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Upcoming Uploads
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »
Sorry for the delay ... I promised a JET POWERS Archives and have more in line, but my computer got hit by a nasty piece of malware that it took me a while to get rid of.  I lost all the current files on my laptop and I was sweating having lost my half-a-Terabyte of downloaded comics and pulps on remote drive - but at least THAT's still intact!  I'll have to start JET again from scratch and I hope everybody likes the other archives I have planned.  My small collection of GA comics has already been scanned and uploaded long ago, but I hope to contribute like this.
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago

Digital Comic Museum

Upcoming Uploads
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Upcoming Uploads
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »
GL Moon, sorry about the trojan.
I keep a mirrored version of my C drive on a small HD for just such occasions.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
Not that it's helpful now, but I also like to keep a Live CD (NB:  Not actually on CD anymore) or two handy for recovery or at least "evacuation."  And if it's written to media that's read-only (like a CD), it has the added advantage of being incorruptable past that point.

They're used to demonstrate operating systems (like Linux) to people without making them install it, but it's really convenient to have an entire bootable environment in a drawer, whether or not you care about the operating system itself.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
On the plus side - this finally prompted me to get an external/backup drive!  :(|(

Sorry for the delay ... I promised a JET POWERS Archives and have more in line, but my computer got hit by a nasty piece of malware that it took me a while to get rid of.  I lost all the current files on my laptop and I was sweating having lost my half-a-Terabyte of downloaded comics and pulps on remote drive - but at least THAT's still intact!  I'll have to start JET again from scratch and I hope everybody likes the other archives I have planned.  My small collection of GA comics has already been scanned and uploaded long ago, but I hope to contribute like this.

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
my computer got hit by a nasty piece of malware that it took me a while to get rid of.  I lost all the current files on my laptop

Great news!  I've recovered the files!  When I tried to create new files with the same name, it asked, "Do you want to merge this with existing file?"  When I did, the new file disappeared.  I went into Control Panel and set it to Display Hidden Files and EUREKA (@SyFy channel)! everything was back.  The malware I had, DATA RECOVERY, was trying to sell me a new "security scanner;" I'll bet if I had been dumb enough to buy it, it would have simply restored the files that it had changed to Hidden.

One problem, tho: I still can't restore or set a new wallpaper.  If I try to use an online pic I get Access Denied/System Error and if I try to use one of my own pics I get Image Cannot Be set As WP/Internal Error.  Does anyone know how to restore this function?  I miss having Scarlett Johannsson to look at when I turn my computer on.
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
restore your computer to a time before the malware then run malware bytes which is free

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »
I'd give up on the wallpaper if everything else were working.  Just my opinion.

GL Moon!

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
It's a waste of a few hours, and I'll grant that I'm naturally paranoid, but I'm a fan of a scorched earth policy, at this sort of point.  Restoring might be OK (I don't know, I usually turn it off so I can have more hard drive space for old comics...), but the safest route is to copy your data and just reinstall everything.  It's hard to guess when the infection started and potentially impossible to find every nook and cranny it squeezed into.

On my machines, that usually has the added advantage of blowing away all the software I installed to try out then completely forgot about...