developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Publication Quality Scans?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Publication Quality Scans?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »
Slabbing has some very specific value in special circumstances, I'll give it that.  I can't fault the slabbing of the 9.0 Action #1, for example.  But there is way too much slabbing going on; and on a lot of books that don't deserve it.  Never mind that the CGC is of variable quality on how accurate they are.  (On another forum there's some discussion of just how overly generous their grading of a recent find was.)

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »
And don't forget that story of the CGC damaging a pricey GA book and not compensating the customer.  (a DC book, I forget the details now.)  THAT is the most shocking thing I'd heard about them since the 'restoration' bruhaha.

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
I just wanted to add, that 150 dpi scans CAN be scaled up, and provide acceptable results for printing with a little work. Here's the first page of Daredevil Battles Hitler #1 from this site, that I upscaled, and was printed (in B&W) on page 46 of Alter Ego #103:

Sorry, but I missed this before.
@srca1941: May I ask you how did you edited the image? Not about the upscaling, but since you said it has been printed in Alter Ego (and thus, I suppose, in four-color): did you edit it to separate the black of the artwork lines from the color part, and then re-paired the files afterwards? Having high-resolution scans (more than 300ppi) is needed if you wish to work on an actual restoration of the original line art/black.
For example, I scanned italian newspaper-sizes comic publications of the 1930s and 1940s at 600ppi, but to have a proper rendition of the linework, if you wish to restore it, and re-pair it afterwards with the other color plates, you’d need to scan at 1600ppi (or even more). I am still studying the thing, but 600ppi was a forced choice, since the Canon color copier I used had that as a maximum resolution.

This explains also the nature of the question I posed to rangerhouse: as qualitatively high as they may be, generally book scanners does not seem to go beyond 600ppi. That’s why I thought mostly of flatbed scanners.

Offline nweathington

• DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
I'm looking for hi-res (at least 300dpi) scans of the following stories for a book I'm working on. Can anyone here help me out?

Phantom Lady #13, “An evil tree bears bitter fruit...”
Phantom Lady #14, “Scoundrels and Scandal”
Phantom Lady #15, “An Army of Walking Dead”
Phantom Lady #17, “The Soda Mint Killer”
All-Top #13, “Fire Fiend”

Two alternate choices:

All-Top #9, “Killer Clown!”
All-Top #12, “Subway Slayer!”

Thanks!

Eric Nolen-Weathington

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
Sorry, no.
They are still unknown titles to me: I’m pretty a "newbie". :)