DCM Download Site > What you can upload

Publication Quality Scans?

(1/4) > >>

RJ Bowman:
I have a question about how the archive here works.

Do the images in this archive exist anywhere in higher resolution; say 300 to 600 DPI?

I ask this because some of the really rare comics are only available to most people in digital form, but someday someone might want to reprint these books, but might not have access to originaLS. Or there might be a time when these comics will be viewed on more advanced devices that will rival print in detail and resolution. Either way, it would be great if there were a high-resolution archive of these rare books.

OtherEric:
I'm not aware of any high resolution archive.

I will say this much:  If anybody ever needs scans of books I own for publication, I would be happy to rescan the books at whatever resolution was required.  (I particularly hope somebody someday asks me for scans of Peter Wheat for just that reason!)

Yoc:
Hi RJ
Some scanners are keeping higher resolution versions of their books for posterity.  It all depends on the scanner.
There might be a handful of 300dpi scans on the site but we don't have them singled out in their own section.
DCM is a library for GA PD scans.  Each scanner chooses how and what he scans and shares.  Beyond demanding that a book be in the public domain DCM has no say on the details of the scans beyond asking for covers at the front of the file and no single files over 150mb in size.
DCM exists solely at the generosity of the donated scans and with donations towards our server bill.

Snard:
For most of my recent scans, I have saved the original raw files, which are either 300, 400 or 600 ppi, depending on the book and when I scanned it. Note that these are raw, unedited scans, before any straightening, cropping, retouching, color correction or other edits have been performed.

If anyone wants copies of these files, they are available for the cost of a blank DVD and postage (the files are quite large, because they are saved as uncompressed TIFF or PNG files. Therefore an entire book takes up the better part of a DVD-R.) I don't currently have a list of books whose raw scans I have archived, but feel free to message me if you are looking for a particular issue and I'll see if it's one that I have.

Geo (RIP):
Most, if not all my books I've put up are at 300dpi on the finished scans, you can do a search with "Geo" and it should bring up the books I've scanned here. And like Snard stated, the files for each page are very large before the finished work is saved.

Geo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version