developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: pmackscans uploads  (Read 6814 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: pmackscans uploads
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
Wonderful to see these famously expensive books finally being scanned!
Our thanks to Narf and Pmack for sharing them.  :)

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
The elusive "Green Giant Comics"! Super-nice, thanks for uploading.

Finally, I am happy to release the long-awaited scans of two rare books, thanks to Narfstar and his fiche!

Superworld Comics 002F (Komos.Publications.1940) (c2c) (Narfstar-Pmack)

and

Green Giant Comics 001F (Pelican.Publications.1940) (c2c) (Narfstar-Pmack)

enjoy!

Pmack

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:16 AM »

After the issue we already had posted, I was highly disappointed at the total lack of genocide in this issue...

More seriously, both books are a lot of fun, and as has been mentioned, very long-awaited, and great scans, especially considering the source media.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
Agreed. Some of the best looking fiche scans I've seen. Great job Pmack!

-Eric

Offline Starman

• DCM Member
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:04 AM »

Great job Pmack!
Please , can it be possible to have a bigger scan of page 64 "Superworld Mars and his canals" to read the text under the illo (from Fank Paul ?)?
Thanks .

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:34 AM »

Great job Pmack!
Please , can it be possible to have a bigger scan of page 64 "Superworld Mars and his canals" to read the text under the illo (from Fank Paul ?)?
Thanks .
I can make out the text pretty well; here's what I think it says:

This is the view of how Mars appears from one of its moons, Deimos. Mars has two moons, the other being Phobos. The Moon Phobos is only 3700 miles from the surface of Mars; Moon Deimos is furthur distant - that is, about 12,500 miles.
      Note variegated colors on the surface of Mars. These colors, incidentally, are not imaginary but are exactly as seen through a high-powered telescope. The so-called canals, which run in all directions and criss-cross the face of the mysterious planet, are not imaginary. The canals have been seen and even photographed many times from our own Earth, notwithstanding the fact that Mars never comes nearer than 35 million miles to us.
      We do not know for sure what these canals are. The late Professor Percival Lowell thought he had proof that the "canals" are, really, not waterways themselves, but the result of vegetation growing near the waterways. Mars is a tremendously old world and has cooled down far more than Earth. Originally all planets were molten. As Mars is a much smaller world than the Earth (intermediate in size between Earth and Moon), it cooled down many millions of years ago. Today the planet has very little air, and not much water. In order to get the water over the surface of the planet, the Martian engineers ages ago began to tap the two Polar snow caps (one cap is visible at the top of this picture); then, by some means unknown  to us, the water is made to run uphill, and so irrigates the entire planet. How the Martians accomplished such a super-engineering job is one of the great mysteries which cannot be solved until an expedition from the Earth shall actually land on Mars. There is, however, no doubt whatsoever that Mars has vegetation, which is shown in the green patches illustrated here. The other spots are probably deserts. The faint pink band around the edge of Mars is its very thin atmosphere. The green star in the upper right corner is the other moon, Phobos. The planet Jupiter and bright stars are also seen in the background.
      The map of the Martian canals shown here is from photographs by the courtesy of Flagstaff Observatory, Flagstaff, Arizona.

Corrections are welcome.

Offline Starman

• DCM Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Great job :)
So there were still some martian vegetation in 1940  ;)
Thanks Snard

Offline Pmackscans

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »

Great job Pmack!
Thanks .

I tried to reply to you this morning. The best I can do is send you the raw scan, but it's 8MB and it bounced when I tried to send it to you.

Offline fan777 (RIP)

• Sadly passed in May, 2015. R.I.P.
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Hi Pmack,

Would you have time to convert some of my fiche to scans?  I have Jungle 5,7,13,14. Africa 1 (Me) All Top 18 and Jo Jo 9.

These fiches were originally purchased from P J Iacovone of New Jersey in the 80's.  They are in strips mounted in a plastic holder

Thanks
fan777

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
He sure does good work!!