developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Any plans for a Phantasmo collection?  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Mr. Izaj

• DCM Member
Any plans for a Phantasmo collection?
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
 Since you can't upload any issues of The Funnies after issue #29, are there any plans to do a collection of the Phantasmo stories that appeared in The Funnies #s 45-63. I ask that because of the recent collections of the Owl stories published in both Crackajack Funnies and Popular Comics. I know because of the John Carter of Mars feature that started in issue # 30, no issues after issue #29 can be uploaded, I wonder if it is still possible to collect all the Phantasmo stories from The Funnies #s 45-63 and upload them as a seperate collection?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:44:35 PM by Mr. Izaj »

Digital Comic Museum

Any plans for a Phantasmo collection?
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

Offline Dell4c

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Any plans for a Phantasmo collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
the large feature reprint of Phantasmo has been scanned and due to price its really slow going scanning the rest of the Funnies issues. The intent is to get them all but I expect it to be a slow process.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »
Just remember Dell, that modern reprints can't be hosted here, ever if it's of a feature in the public domain.
As long as the scans are from original books we can host them.
Thanks for the suggestion Mr I.  :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
I'd also encourage a Fearless Flint collection with art by the always fun and unique art of HG Peter of Wonder Woman fame!

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
I'd also encourage a Fearless Flint collection with art by the always fun and unique art of HG Peter of Wonder Woman fame!

I would like to marry Jennifer Aniston, Yoc.  ;)

Yeah, I think betwen DCM and GAC, we have maybe 2-3 Fearless Flint appearances. I've not had luck finding more.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
I hear she's high maintenace Roy.  No time for comics with her I bet!
;)

Just dreaming out loud - If dreams came true in scanning - an HG Peter set collecting all of Man O' Metal and Fearless Flint would be a top download on DCM for years already!

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
It's worth pointing out (No, I'm not picking on Yoc, though it might be funny, since he more or less pioneered the idea) that anybody who'd "like to see" an archive of a particular character has a relatively easy way to get it and have your name in lights (err, pixels).  Download.  Collate.  (Ideally, write something interesting, but I won't hold you to it.)  Upload.  ?  Profit!

Keep in mind that the Phantom Lady archives didn't just make reading the stories easier, but the project also served the purpose of highlighting the missing stories.  There are only a few pages left unscanned, aren't there?

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »
It's worth pointing out (No, I'm not picking on Yoc, though it might be funny, since he more or less pioneered the idea) that anybody who'd "like to see" an archive of a particular character has a relatively easy way to get it and have your name in lights (err, pixels).  Download.  Collate.  (Ideally, write something interesting, but I won't hold you to it.)  Upload.  ?  Profit!

Keep in mind that the Phantom Lady archives didn't just make reading the stories easier, but the project also served the purpose of highlighting the missing stories.  There are only a few pages left unscanned, aren't there?

John, I believe they've scanned them all now, they, (the team for this project) had to buy the last issue for it to be scanned. It was a pretty pricey book if I remember right.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
The second volume of the Phantom Lady Archives has been a work in progress for Years now!  The Fox connection, his history, the semi-recent find of the DC vs Fox transcripts, have all drawn the project out by months and months.
Now perhaps it's all our own fault but Phabox and I see our collections as being more than just a collection of the stories.  We've tried to bring more to the table with extras including articles and fan fiction.  Our dream was the latest Alter-Ego turning up a photo of Victor Fox and perhaps telling us something new we'd never heard before but so far (I'm still reading 101) there's nothing new except a really cool cover.  
Ken Q's article on the DC vs Fox case is great reading as well but I'd been following that since he started talking about it on his blog.  Nice job Ken!

So sure, anyone can start a collection and the really GREAT thing Phantom Lady v1 did was help find an amazing number of to that point missing Fox Phantom Lady issues which we never dreamed would happen so fast.  We owe so much to the scanners out there and the generous providers of the original books!

If anyone wants to collect a favourite character or even a favourite artist please feel free, DCM's Archives and Collections are a great starting point for those new to the hobby or wanting to learn more about something.

-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
I prefer the beefier archives, myself (by which I mean supplemental material, since I can always find the comics the stories came from, eventually), but it's always nice to see others get involved, if only to see that someone's been busy reading up on a particular character...especially one I've overlooked.

John, I believe they've scanned them all now, they, (the team for this project) had to buy the last issue for it to be scanned. It was a pretty pricey book if I remember right.

Ah, good deal.  I don't remember the thread getting updated, so I figured there was still some left over.  But I do remember a lot of books popping up after the first archive went out along with its plea for help.  Came off pretty well, I think, especially for something that initially looked hopeless.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
Thanks very much for the kind words John.  Phabox and I put a lot work into the collections.  I'm sure he'll appreciate the sentiments as well.  In the case of v2, we've probably being overly ambitious.

I'd like to see more artist based collections but then you'd need someone like JVJ to verify the contents as well.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
The problem with artist-based collections (and I'm including writers, too) is that it's hard to know that it's ever complete, and it's also hard to know where to draw the line.  Does it count if he inked over someone else, for example?  What if someone known as an artist wrote something else?

It's a fun idea, but I can imagine it being so much more work that it's an idea probably better suited for a website.

(Actually, that brings up a problem I do have with the archives:  Indexing is murder on the comic readers.  Since there's no structure to the file and no standard metadata, finding one story in a big file is quite an adventure!  It's not a huge deal, but something worth thinking about in the distant future.)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »
Good points John.
With Phabox and myself we include a table of contents.  Using CDisplay you can jump to specific 'pages' by hitting "SHIFT-P"

Perhaps the archives/collections do work best for specific characters.  For artists I agree it might be more a headache than expected with disputes and missing material always a danger.  But it might work if you narrowed the field by say doing something like say 'HG Peter at Dell/Eastern' or 'Meskin at Nedor or Prize' that would be worth the effort.  If only we had complete collections of course.

-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »
Oh, I know, most software has a way to get to a page.  It just seems like, by this point, someone writing a comic reader would've added the ability to read a table of contents and release the format and sample code as public domain.  Y'know, include it in the comic or don't, put it in the software or don't, but things are better when everybody plays nice.

That'd make life so much easier for these things.