developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Looking for a Victor Fox photo or drawing...  (Read 14565 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Looking for a Victor Fox photo or drawing...
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
Yeah, tax time - lots of fun.  *sigh*
Very much looking forward to seeing your article some day David.
Please be sure to let us all know here where and when it will appear!

Thanks for the latest.  I recall reading about this run-in with the AAG about poor stock tips.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Glass House Graphics Writer Page
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
From a directory of CA real estate brokers and salesmen from 1951.  Unfortunately it's just a snip from Google books but this would fit with the time frame of Fox's final departure from the comic book scene.  The entire book does not appear to be available online anywhere, but I'm not at all sure it would have any more information.

And Fox's widow and daughter both eventually ended up in CA, though they were in CT at least into the early 1960s.

Just a possibility, though I've no real idea how to dig deeper into this one.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Interesting!
Thanks David.
:)

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:44 AM »
Geez...has it been 5 months?

Things have been quiet on the Victor Fox front but I've found a new tidbit.  A summary of Fox's 1918 military service.  It gives his posting, Camp Humphreys, Virginia, where he trained in an engineer regiment; his dates of service, July 26 to December 24; and his rank, Private.  the last is significant as it dispels the rumors that he may have been an officer.

Funny...this thread may actually be the best Victor Fox resource in the world.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
Wow, thanks for another wonderful piece in the Fox puzzle!
Yeah, fun how this topic has evolved.  :)

Offline KaineZ

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »
Thanks for the history lesson, guys!  I've enjoyed reading these 5 pages and going off on the tangents in the links.  I've never had any particular interest in Victor Fox or the comics he produced and never knew about any of the topics discussed here.  As an outside observer though I thought I'd toss in one small tidbit as it appears that no one has picked up on it (or at least I didn't see it in the thread).  It was mentioned that Eisner used the name Reynard as a thin disguise for Fox in a story and that Fox himself had a company called Renard Investments.  Someone speculated (I think) that Eisner perhaps knew of the investment company and hence perhaps used that as the source for the Reynard character name.  I'd like to point out in case no one else was aware that Reynard is the name of a classical character from European animal stories: Reynard the Fox.  I find it oh so ironic that the name Reynard was later dredged up and associated with Victor Fox.  The fox Reynard from the old French stories was a wily character used as a rhetorical "wicked" moral structure for children.  He was like Wile E. Coyote in some regards, always with the grand schemes to catch the Roadrunner, but with nothing but failure in the end because of his deceitfulness.

I'm sure Eisner was familiar with the animal character when he wrote his story and obviously Reynard was known to Victor Fox as it would be simply too coincidental for him to name his own company Renard Investments and not know.  I have to say though that perhaps the subtleties of Reynard the Fox were lost on Victor Fox.  Or, perhaps, he knew EXACTLY what Reynard represented?

Thanks again, guys!

Greg

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
Thanks Greg.  Renard Investments is mentioned in one of the clippings somewhere.
There is one site now showing a picture of Victor Fox but no explanation of it's origins.

http://www.comicvine.com/victor-fox/4040-49436/

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Is anyone a member of ComicVine who could send him a question asking the source?

Stardust-Yoc. Yocdust.

Thanks Greg.  Renard Investments is mentioned in one of the clippings somewhere.
There is one site now showing a picture of Victor Fox but no explanation of it's origins.

http://www.comicvine.com/victor-fox/4040-49436/

Offline turoksonofstone

• DCM Member
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »
I am a member of Comic vine and also the one who posted (and cropped) the photo. I had been searching a bit and came across the same set of Fuchs-Fox family pictures that appears earlier in this thread. The Photo I used is from that same group appearing toward the bottom of the page and was taken in California circa 1940 if I recall. I cannot find the original full size Image which I believe included an much older Celeste Fuchs on his arm. I am not sure how I concluded this was him this was back in May but I was pretty sure at the time it may have been tagged Victor S. Fox hope that helps. Will/try to find post the full image.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Hi Turok.
I'm fuzzy on this but I believe David might have already figured out that was 'our' Fox.  David, correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 02:00:21 AM »
https://picasaweb.google.com/105472361420541432574/PicturesFromMargaretKearns?noredirect=1#5394091233380527458

It is amongst quite a few others https://picasaweb.google.com/105472361420541432574/PicturesFromMargaretKearns
I think there are two different Victors in this collection.

It is quite simple if there is a Celestine floating around the family then you have your man if not you don't!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
David found 'our' Victor in the census and could tell us.
I was never able to spot him.

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 12:25:36 AM »
I don't think the Celestine Fox/Fuchs pictures figure into Victor Samuel Fox's family tree.  1940 finds Victor in Manhattan, sister Frances Persky in Ashville NC, sister Janet Sondheim (mother of Stephen!) also in Manhattan, sister Marianne Stutz in Hartford CT.  Parents Joseph & Bessie are both deceased by that point.

None of the names associated with these photos are attached to any members of the Fox family tree that I have discovered.  And given how distant Fox appears to be from his own family that even if he had some relatives in CA it's tough to picture Victor paying them a visit.

I can't guarantee that is not Victor Fox of Fox Publishing but I think it highly unlikely.  And certainly unproven.  I think that a well meaning poster got excited and jumped the gun.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:29:38 AM by David Lawrence »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »
Thanks for clearing it up David.
We still wait in hopes of someday seeing such photos our 'our' Fox.

-Yoc

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Still no photo of Victor...but I have found what appear to be photos of Fox's wife and daughter, apparently circa 1983.  They are from a public family tree at Ancestry.com and the info in the tree matches the known info about Carolyn & Victoria.