developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: "DANGER" artists: DON HECK and PETE MORISI  (Read 3329 times)

Offline brush

• DCM Member
"DANGER" artists: DON HECK and PETE MORISI
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »
Hi all,

I've been perusing some of the early issues of the comicbook "DANGER" (published by Comic Media) - Pete Morisi's and Don Heck's Golden-age output is a revelation! The early work of these two artists have escaped my radar for quite some time.

Pete Morisi's Golden-age "style" seems to have been influenced by George Tuska; a style that's perfectly suited for "comic noir" - i.e., dark and moody!

I'm somewhat familiar with Don Heck's Bronze-age work for both Marvel and DC - admittedly, I've never been a big fan of Don Heck, and I've often questioned the veracity of people who lavished praise on the artist. Undoubtedly, his Golden-age output deserves all the lavish praises! :)

Here's a link to an early issue of "DANGER" featuring some great artwork/storytelling by the duo!

(DANGER #003 - 1953; cover by Pete Morisi)
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=11987

jmho,
Warren

Digital Comic Museum

"DANGER" artists: DON HECK and PETE MORISI
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
Re: "DANGER" artists: DON HECK and PETE MORISI
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
Pete Morisi was definitely influenced by George Tuska.  IIRC they even shared a studio together briefly.

Heck is out of the Caniff/Sickles school and I find much of his 1950s and early 60s work wonderful.

You'll find more of both artists in other Comic Media titles.

Best

Joe

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »
I'll lavish praise on Don.  His work on a comic story of mine was one of my favorite jobs ever.

Offline brush

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
I'll lavish praise on Don.  His work on a comic story of mine was one of my favorite jobs ever.

Hi Joe,

When comparing Don Heck's Golden-age work to his Bronze-age output - it's hard to reconcile the fact that they were drawn by the same man (or hand)!! What the 'heck' happened?? ???

Moreover, if anyone is intrigued (like myself) by the output of the artist Pete Morisi - visit the link below for a checklist of his work.

http://www.ramonschenk.nl/charltoncomics/creators/petemorisi.htm

cheers,
Warren

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 04:58:52 AM »
Pete Morisi did one of my favourite comcs, Thunderbolt.  A title I loved when it came out but could never complete and my mother chucked my comics out anyway.  Now I've got the set and some Kid Montana (and Montana Kid - never did quite understand that.  Just Charlton messing around again?) and a few other examples.  Great stuff.
Back in the '60's, I never really got into Heck or Tuska but more recently I've found some of their earlier work and, I'm quite excited about it.  Much more research and reading for me to do.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:23:25 AM »
In spite of an irrational dislike of male heroes with bare legs (Robin, Plastic Man, etc.) I really loved Morisi's 'Thunderbolt' - especially the 'Lost World' issue with all those dinosaurs. It's a shame DC have never seen fit to print the 'new' origin he drew for them after they bought the rights.

On the other hand I'd have to say that the best-ever version of Peter Cannon appeared in those issues towards the end of the Charlton run that were drawn by Pat Boyette!

- Phil Rushton

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:10 AM »
Woo, Phil, you know, you've given me a reason, if any were needed, to dig the set out for a re-read. All this sort of echoes some of the comments recently on comics UK.
Bare legged heroes, I hadn't thought of that. More to check.  Keep it up.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
One thing I just remembered about Morisi was that sometime in the 1950s he became a NYC police officer.  His comic work from that time on was signed as PAM (his initials).

Best

Joe

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
On Heck, it's said that depression over the loss of his wife had a lot to do with the noticeable deterioration in his artwork during the 1960s. According to Neal Adams he was barely 'hanging on by his fingernails' at one point, yet he remained a consummate professional in spite of everything.

What's more, he still managed to produce some outstanding images. Knowing Paw Broon's love of Lee Falk I'm sure he remembers this memorable cover for King Comics' Mandrake the Magician no.1 from 1966.

http://i52.tinypic.com/8w0ae0.jpg
- Phil Rushton

Offline brush

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
Fellas,

Here's a link to a fascinating article:

"Don Heck in His Own Words"

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2011/05/original-art-stories-don-heck-in-his.html

Warren

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Thanks, for the link.  Noticing the Iron Man introduction reminds me that I always preferred the huge metal suit to the later slimmed down editions. 
Not only do I remember that Mandrake but I have it and the rest of the series. And there is a 4 page Phantom story in the middle of this issue.  Doesn't get much better.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
I always liked the fact that you never knew who was going to turn up in a King Comic. For example, one issue of The Phantom actually featured Wally Wood's only Flash Gordon story beyond his famous Mad spoof (at least the only one I'm aware of) - and what's more it included a 'Dan Dare' spaceship swiped from Britain's own Frank Bellamy!  :)

- Phil Rushton

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
One thing I just remembered about Morisi was that sometime in the 1950s he became a NYC police officer.  His comic work from that time on was signed as PAM (his initials).

It may have been an editor having some fun with the audience, but at least twice when I read through the letter columns, there was a strong impression given that nobody at Charlton even knew who PAM was or how to contact him.

Mind you, it's Charlton, so it may have been not so much of a secret identity as them having had his name written on a Rolodex card that was later used to make a comic or disintegrated from someone looking at it too hard.  But I rather like the idea of an artist sending confederates with secret hand signals to pick up his paychecks...

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
As I recall, the letter column said something more along the lines of PAM prefers to keep his identity secret.  No implication that Charlton didn't know, though I suppose you could read it that way.

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure Dick Giordano knew who PAM was, and understood his reasons for remaining anonymous (ie the worry that his employers in the NYPD would take a dim view of one of their officers having another job).

- Phil Rushton