developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Has anyone had any interesting stories of meeting Comic Book artists?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Has anyone had any interesting stories of meeting Comic Book artists?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
Again, I'm guessing that the answer is generally no (because you didn't contract to buy those rights), but usually nobody cares about seeing a (sorry, "yet another") picture of Batman running in a void offering best wishes to John Q. Fanatic besides Mr. Fanatic, so I don't imagine it's often an issue.

More confusing:  If you had a lot of input into what was drawn and how, you might arguably own part of the copyright, too.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
Hi Roy,
SURE, please do.  I think I could make it work with the DCM logo.
BTW, that King-Size Sentinels by Michael Maikowsky commission is AMAZING!!

I was never sure if a person paid for a convention sketch could that sketch then be published or used in any other way without the permission of the artist?

-Yoc

Fred Said:
   from   Fred Hembeck <fred@hembeck.com>
to   me
date   Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM
subject   Banner news!
hide details 4:48 PM (17 minutes ago)
Roy

Go right ahead!!

(I hope that'll take some sting out of the fact that there's been no progress as of yet on your most recent commission. Eventually, promise...)

Fred

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
Oh wow, that's GREAT news!
I wonder if Fred knows anything about DCM?
I'd love to have him as a member.

Thanks very much to both of you.  I'll look into creating a banner from it.
I'll send you a PM Roy.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »
Oh wow, that's GREAT news!
I wonder if Fred knows anything about DCM?
I'd love to have him as a member.

Thanks very much to both of you.  I'll look into creating a banner from it.
I'll send you a PM Roy.

Well, I'd sent him a link to describe what we wanted it for. He can be contacted directly via his website. Sadly, he appears to have a life outside of comics, so you never know. ;-)

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »
Here's what I can tell about Jack Kirby:  the first time I met him, IIRC, was in San Diego just after he started collaborating with Steve Gerber on DESTROYER DUCK.  When I met him, his intro was, "I draw destructive ducks."  I said, "I know, sir," and tried to see about doing an interview with him.  He put a fatherly hand on my shoulder and said, "I live in Thousand Oaks.  My number is in the telephone book."  Dave Kraft wasn't eager to get him, though, as he had already treated him in COMICS INTERVIEW.  A little later at the con, Jack was at the Eclipse table along with Dean Mullaney, Jerry Siegel, and Joe Shuster.  Dean insisted I get a photo of them all together.  I thought they looked like a sports team, which was underlined by Jack wearing a New York Yankees cap.  I remarked that the cap reminded me of Steve's story for HAUNT OF HORROR #1, which was about a maniac dressed in such a cap.  Steve just about fell out of his chair laughing.

At a Chicago con, Mark Evanier, one of the nicest guys evar and my good friend of some 20 years running, invited me to Jack's surprise birthday party.  I didn't have anyplace to put the big armful of comic books I bought, so I was talking to a lotta pros with my arms all full of comics until a desk clerk gave me a place to stash them.  Jack and Roz were lured down to the room on some pretense and when they got in, we all hollered, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACK!"  I had my trusty Polaroid along and got a pic of him slicing the cake.  Tried to get him to autograph my invitation, but Roz intercepted me and signed it instead.  I didn't mind.

I interacted with Roz after that, trying to see if I could get an interview with Jack on the phone about the battle with Marvel over his art, wanting to do my part.  But it never got arranged.  Then he was gone.

But I'd had my face time with him, and her, and I wasn't disappointed.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing the story DM.  I think I'd enjoy the two pictures you describe as well.
:)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
I don't know about interesting stories but I was in the fortunate position of being there close to the start of comic marts and cons in Glasgow. Then, involved with FOCK - Friends of Clark Kent, a Glasgow comics group who met every Wed evening in a pub, we started organising marts.  As time went on and 3 of us ran AKA Books and Comics in the city, we invited guests to the shop and to marts and eventually cons. So, the  list of creators who turned up is rather long and, at first was mostly Scottish and British. This was the early days of 2000AD and we formed friendships with Alan Grant, John Wagner, Cam Kennedy, Kev. O' Neil, Mick McMahon.  Lots of drink was taken.  Then Dave Gibbons turned up followed by the likes of Alan Davis.  Had a few great nights out with Mr. Davis in the early part of his career and I remember taking him to a Chinese restaurant and his reaction to his first taste of chili oil - surprised he survived.
Other guests who pitched up for shop signings or con appearances included, David Lloyd, Bryan Talbot, Alan Moore, who we also had coffee with in Angouleme - what a nice man. Some American creators appeared as we grew better known and, just to be clear, not all of them were on our invites, they were sometimes on tours organised down south. But they always seemed to want a night out in Glasgow. So Dave Sim, a couple of times ( don't recall much about those nights), Matt Wagner, Bill Sienkewicz (have I spelled that right?), and we got the great prize of Will Eisner, who was wonderful, full of stories, good company and an excellent dinner guest. And for me, even more importantly, Archie Goodwin. Such a gentleman and such a great loss to comics.  I'm sure that Marv Wolfman was at that con in the Central Hotel but I don't remember much about his visit - or am I hallucinating.
At the Angouleme con in France I had dinner with Mike Richardson, whose only ground rule was that we didn't talk about comics. I did an interview for BBC Radio 4 while at Angouleme and Dave Gibbons told me his aunt had heard it.
Back then we  often ran into Grant Morrison and, a bit later, had to chivvy Frank Quitely along and encourage him to keep going because he didn't seem to have a lot of confidence at the time. Vincent is a lovely person and so talented.
F.P. in Edinburgh had Chris Claremont up for a signing and we were to meet him the evening before. As we waited we wondered how we would recognise him as none of us had met him previously.  Can I just say that from the back, the huge X-MEN logo on the leather jacket was a dead giveaway.  That was a good night, wandering down the Royal mile for fish and chips, with a few drinks under our belts.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Very interesting post PB, thanks for sharing.
Please feel free to continue or elaborate if you felt inclined.
:)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Thanks, Yoc.  Reading it again it seemed as if I was just name dropping. Not something that comes naturally to many Scots.  But, then again, it was a great time.  We met so many people, learned so much, saw some great projects come to fruition, had some good meals and the odd wee refreshment. And DC used AKA as a sort of first point of contact for a couple of years when they were coming to Scotland.
Recently, I've had a couple of chats with Ken Barr and bumped onto Colin McNeil at the last mart and F.Q at a previous mart. And, literally, bumped into Dom Regan in the street ( he's colouring Superboy) last week.
DC got me out to L.A. a couple of times as one of their dealer thingies (sorry, I forget the term) and there I was, with Phil Clarke from Birmingham, in Paul Levitz's suite in the Universal Hilton, with messrs. Levitz and Wayne, discussing some problems the shop had had with a DC tpb. Also met a number of DC staff, most of whom were either charming or good company.  Hard work this comics stuff, especially when you are plied with good wine and seafood and have the chance to see the Batman cartoon before most of the rest of the world.
One of the highlights of being in L.A. was the opportunity to ride the bus downtown to look for Mexican superhero wrestler comics, for example Sensacional de Luchas and Tinieblas.  Success, they were everywhere. I now have a nice wee collection.
Sorry, got a bit off topic there.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
OK, here's my Alan Moore story.

Way back in the late Eighties, I was attending the San Diego Con faithfully, and one of those cons was the one to which DC brought Alan Moore.  I once asked Cat Yronwode how to recognize him and she said, "Just look for a big hairy Englishman."  Well, I did.  Alan was wearing a T-shirt and jeans, iirc, and was accompanied by his then-wife, who wore a short hairdo and a red dress.  I caught up to him around an art display and asked if I could take a pic, which he graciously agreed to.  Then I took one of Mrs. Moore, who gave me a surprised smile, because I said it wasn't fair to take his picture and not hers, too.

A little later on, after seeing a panel on which Alan (with Gil Kane and others) answered questions, I re-encountered him at the DC table, where he was enduring the ancient ritual of having a big bunch of fans stuff comic books in his face for signing.  I asked him if he was any good at discussing politics or philosophy under those circumstances, and he said he'd give it a try.  Briefly, I discussed V For Vendetta's raison d'etre with him, and pointed out that Mao Tse-Tung had done a lot of the sort of things he had V fighting against in Fascist Britain.  Alan said that he believed really there were only two kinds of politics, the fascist kind that insisted on making all people more or less alike and part of one thing, and the anarchist kind that let everybody supposedly go off and do their own thing.  He admitted he wasn't enamored of capitalism, and allowed, "I guess I don't much like anything," facetiously.  But, more or less, he agreed with me that in a Communist country, there could very well be a right-wing V For Vendetta, and that Communism was another form of Fascism.

At least, he seemed to.

As I recall, we shook hands and I thanked him for the talk.  Alan Moore was a truly nice guy, although I disagree like hell with his politics and his mysticism and a lot of other things.  Later on, I read that he was truly disenchanted with the San Diego scene and swore off con appearances forever.  I hope I was one of the more positive experiences he had there.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Thanks DM.
I've only seen him speak on the Searching For Ditko tv show.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Yes, that's Alan Moore.  Lovely man but a bit "alternative".  He always did seem to enjoy meeting people, at any rate, those who didn't only say, "I'm a fan, gonnae sign ma comic", as I heard one lad at a signing session say.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
I've had at least 2 encounters in the flesh with Neil Gaiman, both of them interviews.  The first time, he'd just taken over Miracleman and I got to talk to him and John Totleben at the same time.  When I started making jokes about the gory Kid Miracleman scene in one ish, Neil leaned over and said, "I think he's saying you're sick, John!"  But Neil was a courteous and intelligent guy in that interview, and I liked talking with both of them.

By the second time I met him, I'd read his Sandman series and BAD OMENS.  Got to interview him again and before we did it, he was actually self-deprecating, admitting he had been a lousy reporter and had made stories up while reporting.  I had to get his autograph on my copy of BAD OMENS and told him it had cost me a good deal of money, on account of I had to buy two copies.  I said I'd left the first one out in my car overnight and it turned into a biography of Queen.  He took it in stride.  We did the interview and at one point, when I kept interrupting, he said, "Shut up!"  Later, when we spoke of his travails trying to do a movie script for BAD OMENS and how they required so many changes to it, I quipped, "You gotta put something in for Arnold here."  He replied, "What a concept!  Talk about casting against type...Arnold Schwartzenegger as a 12-year-old boy!"  "Yeah, he'll play him on his knees!" I said.  We had fun.

Later, back at the pro suite, Neil had me take a picture of him with my Polaroid and then warped it up with some coin rubbing and various stuff, after which he signed it.  I've traded notes with him since then and also traded comics with him.  And I still stand by what I told him once:  Brits are such courteous people, they could make you feel good while beating you up.

And Neil is a Brit.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
  I said I'd left the first one out in my car overnight and it turned into a biography of Queen.  He took it in stride. 

I don't get it.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
Darkmark, your mentioning of John Totleben reminds me of the first time I met him.  I arrived at the Kubert School a few days before classes were to begin in September 1979.  I was to live in the carriage house outside the old mansion at 45 Lehigh St. where the school was then located. 
I got settled in, along with a dozen other guys who were showing up to share digs in the carriage house, and started checking out the area. 
Late in the afternoon on one of those first few days I heard music outside the carriage house so went down to check it out. Several second year students were gathered around with some former students singing some ribald songs while one lanky fellow ably played the guitar.  A number of us newbies gathered around to watch and listen. 
I eventually asked one of the second year students who was the guy playing the guitar and was told his name was John Totlben.  I mentioned that he he played very well and must have been playing for years.  I was told that, on the contrary, John had only been playing a short time but was one of those fellows who had an uncanny ability to pick up artistic traits quickly.  I was told that he was the same way with his drawing too.
Joe Kubert was always very welcoming to all graduates who came back around the school but generally less so to those who had dropped out.  Totlben was an exception to that general rule.  he had apparently left the school before graduating but had achieved such a level of talent that he was always welcome back.
During my first year there John was working on a special commission for Harry Chesler.  Illustrations for a lavishly illustrated edition of  The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.  John used to drop by the school and show us his finished illos periodically and by the following Spring he had finished the project. 
There was a showing of all the illustrations at Farleigh Dickinson University and then we waited for the book to come out.  It never happened.  Apparently Chesler (who already seemed as old as dirt to my young eyes) fell ill and passed away without getting the book published.  I have often wondered over the years what happened to all those beautiful illustrations that Totlben did for the book.

Best

Joe