- +

Author Topic: Has anyone had any interesting stories of meeting Comic Book artists?  (Read 4544 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
I have none. Way up here in northern Minnesota we are to far off the beaten track.

I would love to hear some personal stories that anyone of you may have of encountering those people that created the work we all love.

bminor

Digital Comic Museum

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Has anyone had any interesting stories of meeting Comic Book artists?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
At Heroes Con I met Irwin Hasen a couple years ago. Very nice guy also there was Don Sherwood. I must say I did not like Don's Charlton work. But he did the Fintstones comic strip and it was good and I bought an original drawing of Fred from Don. I bought a Hasen print.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
Well I attended the Kubert School from 1979-1982 and several of my teachers were great artists-among these were Joe Kubert, Irwin Hasen, Tex Blaisdell, John Belfi, Hy Eisman, Johnny Costanza, Sal Amendola, and animator Milt Neal. I have great memories of all these gents!

We would also get occasional guests at the school.  Gray Morrow, who lived not far from the school, came by now and then as did former GA publisher Harry Chesler, just to drop in and say hi and check out what the students were up to.  Chesler had a group of us come visit his house when he learned we were interested in illustrators.  His walls were covered with many paintings -wonderfully garish pulp covers hanging side by side with the  grandeur of  J.C. Leyendecker Saturday Evening Post cover paintings!

Then there were guests who would just drop in for special visits.  I particularly remember visits from Will Eisner (who was gracious enough to sign my copy of his then new graphic novel-A Contract With God- still seating proudly on my bookshelves), Sergio Aragones (who was continually goofing on Big Joe behind his back) and who drew many large sketches for students, and the day when both Al Williamson and Roy Krenkel came to visit.  Joe offered them both a job teaching.  While Al deferred (although he would eventually take up the standing offer a few years later) Roy was really game and we expected him to be one of our teachers for our final year at the school.  Unfortunately he came down with the brain cancer, that eventually killed him, a short time later and such was not to be.  One of my fellow students did have the hutzpah to finagle Al Williamson into having a few of us students come visit him at his home in eastern PA and that day of hospitality at Al Williamson's home, viewing his great collection of original art, having lunch with the man and chatting about comics, movies, illustrators, etc.. is a fond memory I will carry for the rest of my life.

I guess you could also include my fellow students among Comic Book artists I've met.  Former students like Steve Bissette, Rick Veitch, John Totleben, Tom Yeates, Jan Duursema, Tom Mandrake, Kim DeMulder (and some others I surely forgetting) were still popping in and out of the school for visits while I was there.  Some, like Tom Yeates, I got to be pretty good friends with.   Timmy Truman was in the class ahead of me and I used to watch and marvel at his work even when he was a student. 
In my own class were a few names you might recognize- my former room-mate Rex Lindsey (who has been drawing Archie, Jughead and the gang for a quarter century now), Kirk Tingblad (who went on to a career in animation (Johnny Bravo, Pinky and the Brain, Scooby Doo), Stan Woch (who left before graduating to assist Gray Morrow on the Barbara Cartland Rromances and Buck Rogers strips and who later drew Batman and Swamp Thing for DC) and Bob Orzechowski (who also went on to assist Gray Morrow on those aforementioned strips and who did work for humor mags like Cracked).
In the classes coming up behind me were such talents as Eric Shanower and Adam and Andy Kubert who are all pretty well known now-a-days. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others but the above is a pretty good list.

Best

Joe

PS- Almost forgot.  The very first comic book artists I met were at a comic convention in Phoenix in 1972. They were-
C. C. Beck- who wasn't doing any comics then but would be back drawing Captain Marvel -the Big Red Cheese- for DC before long, and-
Don Newton, a fellow Phoenician who was then teaching art classes to school kids and drawing for fanzines while trying to break in to the big time.  That break would eventually come a few years later when he began doing work for Charlton and then eventually DC.
Bruce Hamilton, who had previously written for comics and who would eventually publish them, was the main man behind that convention and I enjoyed listening to his stories too.

Well sorry for going on so long and chewing all your ears off.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
Nice post Joe.  Thanks for sharing!
I too briefly met Al Williamson at a convention in the mid 80s.  He seemed a genuinely nice guy.
George Perez was also there.  Boy he's sure looking different since those days.
I also got Bill Willingham (Fables fame) to autograph his new that month 'Elementals' comic.
:)

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Well, I did *lots* of interviews with artists and writers, among them Bill Eisner, Murphy Anderson, Jerry Grandenetti, Dick Sprang, Jim Steranko, Dan Adkins, Gardner Fox, Alfred Bester, etc., etc.  One of my fave stories centers on Stan Lee.  He was at a table autographing copies of RAVAGE 2099.  I showed up with a Marvel comic containing one of my stories, and said, "Stan, I'll trade you one of mine for two of yours."  Natch, I'd autographed mine to him and left my address at the end of the story.  Stan was pleasantly surprised and autographed an ish of RAVAGE for me, and one of AVENGERS #4.  We were just about at the end of the signing, so I walked him back to the con, chatting with him.  I mentioned that I was favorably impressed with Ravage, but thought the hero ought to get back into a three-piece suit, because he worked so much better as a yuppie Conan.  Stan allowed that he'd be back in the three-piece suit a little further down the line, but not for a few issues yet.

And eventually, I got a letter back from Stan saying he liked the story I'd written, and that it was fun to meet another writer in Dallas.  'Nuff said.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
Here's DM interview with Al Williamson, it's in two parts, this link is to part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1BnSuKICmU

Enjoy. (Part 2 is listed on the same page as part 1).

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
DM was busy in the day with interviews and columns!
If you ever wanted to repost them here DM feel free.  Start a new topic even.
:)

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
 I've talked to Stan Lynde, who wrote and drew "Rick O'Shay" two or three times, but he isn't a comic book artist. "Rick O'Shay" was a daily newspaper strip which started in the late fifties, and ran through the sixties and seventies. He also drew and scripted another western comic strip in the eighties but I don't believe it ran for long and I cannot remembe what it was called. Lynde was born in southern Montana, grew up on ranch near Crow Agency, and now runs a small press, Cottonwood Press, which publishes volumes of Rick O'Shay and western novels which are mostly written by Lynde. He's a cowboy who had a natural talent for drawing and storytelling, and he's not full of himself. He has a good sense of humor, and his strip did too.  I know he went to one comic book convention when he had the first volume or two of Rick O'Shay read for sale, and I don't believe he ever went to another one. I doubt anyone here has ever heard of him or remembers Rick O'Shay.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Rick Norwood's Comics Revue has been reprinting Lynde's Rick O'Shay for a while now and I, for one, am enjoying it. 
His strips that followed Rick O'Shay were Latigo and Grass Roots.  Neither had long runs.  The former maybe three-four years and the later around a year-it was a panel strip.  Cottonwood Press reprinted those strips as well as the first several years of Rick O'Shay but I haven't seen any reprints from them in some years so assumed they gave up on any further efforts.

Best

Joe

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »
It's probably not an "interesting" story to anybody who isn't me, but due to bad scheduling and pouring rain keeping everybody else away, I ended up spending an entire afternoon talking to Fred Hembeck at a tiny comic shop.  Really good guy, and a good sport, considering that he basically hauled down the middle of nowhere to hang out with a high school kid in a dead shop.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »
Fred always struck me as a very unpretentious guy John.  Good to hear it so.
I'd love to see a DCM banner by him.  :)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
Fred always struck me as a very unpretentious guy John.  Good to hear it so.
I'd love to see a DCM banner buy him.  :)

Well, I had him draw this one. Do we need his permission to use it - I can never figure out the copyright on commissions.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=734285&GSub=107702

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
Well, I had him draw this one. Do we need his permission to use it - I can never figure out the copyright on commissions.

My understanding is that copyright only gets transferred by contract ("work for hire" being the obvious biggie), so if you can't figure it out, you probably don't have it.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »

My understanding is that copyright only gets transferred by contract ("work for hire" being the obvious biggie), so if you can't figure it out, you probably don't have it.

I guess. If anyone is interested, I can ask him directly. LMK

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
Hi Roy,
SURE, please do.  I think I could make it work with the DCM logo.
BTW, that King-Size Sentinels by Michael Maikowsky commission is AMAZING!!

I was never sure if a person paid for a convention sketch could that sketch then be published or used in any other way without the permission of the artist?

-Yoc