- +

Author Topic: PS Magazine - The Preventive Maintenance Monthly  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
PS Magazine - The Preventive Maintenance Monthly
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »
Hi Gang,
At Narfstar's suggestion we took a look at this publication.
Most are already online at the VCU Libraries Digital Collections here - http://tinyurl.com/dzkoah
but we figured they were worth hosting here as well.  To learn more about the title please check the above link.

Why should you read these you ask?  
Because the great Will Eisner was behind them and they feature some very nice GGA from the great man.

And, you'll learn how to keep your gun clean and drive a tank in mud too.  How cool is that?!
;)

Our thanks to Narf for suggesting them and Aussie for uploading and adding them to the site.

Enjoy!
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

PS Magazine - The Preventive Maintenance Monthly
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: PS Magazine - The Preventive Maintenance Monthly
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
 Should keep your gun clean anyway, Yoc, and your rifle too. Eisner and friends worked on PS magazine at least through the Vietnam era, promoting PM. I can remember the first time I saw an issue of PS, in Basic Training at Fort Lewis, late in 1968. My first reaction was shock at the idea that the Army would have someone imitate Eisner's style, then even greater shock when I realised that I wasn't looking an an imitation, then frustration that I was with a hundred individuals and no one of them would know what I was talking about if I shared my discovery with everyone. The entire two years I was in the Army, I only met one person who knew who Will Eisner was and he was another draftee.

It's interesting to see how much more accessable the issues from the early fifties must have been for the troopers of the time. The brass monkey cover from 1953 undoubtedly put a lot of smiles on a great number of faces. I'm glad to see these being added. Someone could easily do a great Masters Thesis using the PS issues and the War Comics available on the site as primary texts. I personally find it interesting that it wasn't World War II that gave us war comics but the Korean War.

I digress. Thanks for adding these. I'm sure more than a few appreciate it.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jon.
Seems we've got a few veterans on the site.

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
I do not think you need to be a veteran, to appreciate the art and humour in PS magazine. I had never heard of it before someone on DC++ I think recommended them to me. An army maintenance magazine is certainly the last place I would have expected to see such gems. I never got around to getting a full set of the early ones at the time, and narfs suggestion reminded me I had enjoyed them enough to collect the rest and share them here. Sorry it is taking so long to get them up on the site, the server will not let me upload them at anything but dial up speed.

Offline rangerhouse

• DCM Facebook admin
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
    • Digital Comic Museum Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
Good grief funny to see these again..  I have hundreds somewhere..  Murphy Anderson (Superman fame) did most when I was in.  I had collected many before I retired (they where laying around everywhere in the 80s). I will post when I find.. Will also illustrated many other DA Pams on maint, safety, and training.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
I believe Murphy was doing them when I was in

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:28:05 PM »
I'm glad Aussie suggested full issues from the reaction here.
Thanks for uploading them Aussie and I look forward to seeing what you find RH.
:)

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »
Good grief funny to see these again..  I have hundreds somewhere..  Murphy Anderson (Superman fame) did most when I was in.  I had collected many before I retired (they where laying around everywhere in the 80s). I will post when I find.. Will also illustrated many other DA Pams on maint, safety, and training.

In addition to Eisner and Anderson other comic book artists who worked on the title include Dan Spiegle, Joe Kubert, Michael Ploog and Alfredo Alcala

Best

Joe

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
Murphy Anderson was doing P.S. starting in mid '66 with Eisner till about '68 sometime, before returning to DC. In '73-'83 Anderson held the contact for P.S. with a company he formed called Visual Concepts. Murphy's right-hand man on P.S. was Dan Zolnerowish, he did a lot of the background art and inks, also Frank Chiaramote did the tech art. During MA time, Connie had an added partner named Bonnie (an African-American pin-up), and Macon Sparks, a communications expert were added to the mix. Also the pin-up (cheesecake) art with toned down during this time.

Would hope that gives you folks some more info on P.S. magazine and the artist that worked on them.

I first saw some P.S. myself when I was stationed overseas in Vietnam in '68-'69, most of them were from '68 that I can remember.

Geo

PS: Would hope you enjoyed your stay in the Pacific Northwest Jon when you were here, I live in the PNW by the way.
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »
Since this seems the likely place to get the experts, can someone tell me when Will Eisner started on Army Motors? And would anyone object if we just left it to Yoc to do an archive collection for Army Motors.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
I believe but don't hold me to it that he worked, (started it?) on it when he (Eisner) was in the service in '42/'43. After this he started P.S. magazine in '51.
In fact here's a early picture of "Connie Rodd" from an Army Motors Magazine:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/9677/connie1.jpg

Sure can see the "Eisner" art in it.

Geo

PS: If this is to 'racey' for the site I'll remove this pix.
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline rangerhouse

• DCM Facebook admin
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
    • Digital Comic Museum Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
WOW I've never seen any Army Motors Magazine issues.

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
I believe but don't hold me to it that he worked, (started it?) on it when he (Eisner) was in the service in '42/'43. After this he started P.S. magazine in '51.
In fact here's a early picture of "Connie Rodd" from an Army Motors Magazine:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/9677/connie1.jpg

Sure can see the "Eisner" art in it.

Geo

PS: If this is to 'racey' for the site I'll remove this pix.

The original was much better before they chopped the guys out. I have it somewhere in my collection, will post it when I dig it up. Not having even heard of Army Motors till yesterday, it gets confusing when you read through them in one day.

Edit - It was in the May, June and July 1945 issues of Army Motors. Unlike PS Magazine they did not have all new artwork each month.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/511/armymotors1945july.jpg

Connie seems to only have eyes for her work though, or should this one be interpreted another way, devoted to the job?

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1051/armymotors1944april.jpg

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:28:41 PM by aussie500 »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »
It's amazing how enjoyable Eisner can make these things.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 04:36:55 AM »
Even without word balloons you would have to attribute writer credit to Eisner because the drawing told so much.