- +

Author Topic: Professionals Obituaries  (Read 67246 times)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Obituaries
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
Very sad news Jim to hear. My condolences to his family & friends.
He will be sorely missed.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
News just out that Joe Kubert is gone.

Sad.

(|:{(>

I'm sorry to learn that Joe Kubert is gone. He was my favorite artist when I was twelve. I feel like a part of my childhood is gone.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »
This one came as a shock.  Even though we knew his age he still seemed so vital when doing new material.  And unlike many others, he never really stopped- a new Joe Kubert project was always a treat but it wasn't a surprise; of course he was doing new work just like always!

I think I'm going to go read my stack of Star Spangled War Stories with Enemy Ace again.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »
News just out that Joe Kubert is gone.

Sad.

(|:{(>

Sad news. Unfortunately, I had a feeling this would happen soon, as Mr. Kubert was scheduled to appear at a local convention a couple of weeks ago, but had to cancel due to "personal reasons".

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Joe & Adam Kubert 2002 interview by Blake Bell
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
Transcript of my 2002 "Joe & Adam Kubert" panel
by Blake Bell

"In memory of Joe Kubert, I've just posted on my blog the transcript for my 2002 "Joe & Adam Kubert" panel at the Toronto Comicon. 8000+ words about Joe's career, raising his artist sons, and Adam's emergence as a star himself. I also talk a bit about including Joe and his wife, Muriel, in my 2002 "I Have To Live With This Guy!" book..."

http://blakebellnews.blogspot.ca/2012/08/joe-kubert-my-memories.html

----

The 1994 Comics Journal interview is also online here:
http://www.tcj.com/the-joe-kubert-interview/

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Harry Harrison - 03.12.1925 to 08.15.2012
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 08:16:52 PM »
I'm very sad to say Harry Harrison passed away a couple days ago.
Here is a link to his official blog - http://harryharrison.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/harry-harrison-1925-2012/
Most famous for his 'The Stainless Steel Rat' novels he had a connection with golden age comics as well.

He was once an editor for STORY COMICS, well represented here on DCM.

Harry was interviewed about his time in comics in Graphic Story Magazine #15, (Summer 1973)
You can read this fascinating interview at the link - I  highly recommend members here read it!  Especially those interested in the Pre-Code Horror Comics we are hosting on DCM.

http://www.michaelowencarroll.com/hh/comics-gsm-interview.htm

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Martin Filchock has passed away
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
I hate adding to this topic.
Martin Filchock, Centaur Comics artist has died.
Here is a link to an online obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/knoxnews/obituary.aspx?pid=159681557#fbLoggedOut

He wrote in Roy Thomas' Alter-Ego as well.
http://mi-cache.legacy.com/legacy/images/Cobrands/KnoxNews/Photos/137165_09072012_1.jpg
1912-2012

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Marcus Swayze has passed away
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
Another GA artist has passed away - Marcus Swayze.
Long time Fawcett artist and regular columnist for Alter-Ego.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20121015/NEWS01/210150309?nclick_check=1
(lovely picture of him here)

I always enjoyed Marc's column in Alter-Ego.  He painted a vivid picture of our favourite era.

-Yoc

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Marcus Swayze has passed away
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
Another GA artist has passed away - Marcus Swayze.
Long time Fawcett artist and regular columnist for Alter-Ego.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20121015/NEWS01/210150309?nclick_check=1
(lovely picture of him here)

I always enjoyed Marc's column in Alter-Ego.  He painted a vivid picture of our favourite era.

-Yoc

Swayze's "We Didn't Know It was the Golden Age" was an excellent feature, Yoc. I hate to see people like Swayze go.

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
Just came up from Last Gasp on Facebook:

It is with great great sadness that I tell you that the wonderful cartoonist, artist, and story teller, Spain Rodriguez, passed this earth this morning of complications of cancer. He had just started home hospice and his wife and daughter were with him. Services are yet to be announced. He passed at the same time the prenumbral eclipse was happening, and like the earths shadow on the edges of the moon, his shadow was at the edges of the art world for over five decades. He changed and challeged the art and social world as we know it. More info to come.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:35:09 PM by Yoc »

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:47 PM »
Just came up from Last Gasp on Facebook:

It is with great great sadness that I tell you that the wonderful cartoonist, artist, and story teller, Spain Rodriguez, passed this earth this morning of complications of cancer. He had just started home hospice and his wife and daughter were with him. Services are yet to be announced. He passed at the same time the prenumbral eclipse was happening, and like the earths shadow on the edges of the moon, his shadow was at the edges of the art world for over five decades. He changed and challeged the art and social world as we know it. More info to come.

I really liked Rodriguez's work in the "underground comics." His Trashman character was a bastard son of conventional comics, but his real genius came out in things like "Captain Pissgum and his Perverted Pirates. He was an original and I doubt we'll see another like him.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:33:05 AM by Yoc »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 11:09:53 AM »
Maybe a little further afield than usual, but since SOPA/PIPA, the Internet Archive (where RECAP is hosted), and other issues are wrapped up in here (and the political prediction is a great read), it's worth mentioning that Aaron Swartz committed suicide last night, age 26.

http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html

I had no idea all those projects were connected by one person, shockingly young (I always dismissed him as "that Reddit guy," myself, and I totally don't "get" Reddit).  And that he was apparently hounded for the past months over making public domain content available to people should give us all a little pause.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 08:17:33 AM by Yoc »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »
Before this obit I did not know who Aaron Swartz was. Now he is a hero. What he would have accomplish could have completely upset the good old boy corrupt government system. The powers that be will not allow major changes. Just look at how they sunk Ross Perot and Herman Cain when it looked like they might have a chance. Regardless of your political bent, everyone knows that either of these two would have radically upset the system. We the people keep getting screwed. Swartz was on our side.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
I'm less sure about Cain (he was too "homespun" for a major party to take him seriously, and I think he was chosen specifically to make the other clowns seem more electable; not to imply a racist agenda, but it seems like the Democrats usually use Jesse "Marble Mouth" Jackson or Al Sharpton for the same purpose), but that's a debate we can have in private if you want, and I largely agree on (any) third-party candidates.

I should mention, by the way, that if he did it, Swartz almost certainly should have been punished for what amounts to criminal trespass or breaking and entering into the room where he plugged his computer into the network.  But we shouldn't be talking about years in legal Hell to bankrupt him before the case starts, plus a lifetime of incarceration hanging over his head if he loses.

But yes, "hero" works on quite a few levels.  On top of disruptive politics, as stories come out, I'm finding it surprising how many tools I use (Markdown, for example, which if you need to do any writing, I recommend looking at it and Pandoc) were at least strongly influenced by him.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »
But Cain was shaking things up and getting noticed. I really think it was the Republicans who sunk him not the Dems