- +

Author Topic: John Buscema's Work on Dell Four Colour  (Read 7989 times)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: John Buscema's Work on Dell Four Colour
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
I am in the same camp as Jon. I have a different problem than most people. I get bored with too much of the same thing. You will not find me getting a collection of any particular artists work. I prefer variety even of uneven quality. Too much exposure and I start liking it less. Yes I am strange but yes I am strange  :(|(  Al Williamson or Russ Manning might be exceptions, but I do not want to get a collection of their work and take of chance of not liking him as much. So far I have not seen anything of theirs that was sub par. My tastes also change regularly. Don't ask me my favorite movie or musician or group because I like what I like at the time.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
"Casual fans" it is, John.
It's funny just how different our experiences are. The very first comic I ever bought, I bought for the art and immediately wanted to know WHO drew it. It was an instantaneous artistic attraction. The story kept me coming back for more, but it was the art that hooked me. I can STILL remember later showing a coverless DC with a Frank Frazetta reprint in it to a comics friend of mine and being ASTONISHED that he didn't know who drew it. I honestly thought he was pulling my leg. I'm COMPLETELY on the visual side. Always have been.

And I have a deep and abiding interest in the history, too. Which is, as you point out, unusual. Still, one hopes that some few others will care, too. And, as you also point out, I AM discouraged by what passes for comics history in most cases - to the point that don't even read most of it. It just elevates my blood pressure. I should stay off that subject...

I think a better baseball analogy would be for a "fan" not to have heard of Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb or Willie Mays or Reggie Jackson. It's not a "huge failure" but it lessens their claim to being a fan.

I'm in perfect agreement with the "no favorites", narf,
I like way too many artists (both comic and musical) to ever limit myself in any way. You know how many comics I have - well think an equally diverse and extensive selection of music on my computer - nearly 38,000 songs in iTunes.

On the other hand, I can't get too much of any particular one. Unfortunately (or very fortunately - depending on how you look at it), I think I've seen almost all of Williamson's and Manning's comic work (though not their strip stuff, which I find somehow constrained and less-interesting). The new series of AW Sketchbooks from Flesk is a real and unexpected joy.

Personally, I hate to admit it, but I find most comic book stories to be exceedingly jejune and silly. It's the exceptions, when I find them, that are so very informative of the medium. I was looking at some Russ Manning Dale Evans from Dell the other day, and his artwork just MADE me read the story - which turned out to be decent. That's not a common experience for me, which is one reason why I much prefer just looking at the art.

Everyone here, I believe, is a comic reader, like you and John. I just don't fit into that category. I read them assiduously for about ten or fifteen years and then eventually out-grew them, I guess. I find it nearly impossible to approach a modern comic book as they are mostly visually repulsive to me. GAC and DCM are the perfect vehicles for both points of view. You guys get to read the old books that we can't afford and I don't have to look at the new stuff.

It Works out well for all of us.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 05:46:39 AM »
And I have a deep and abiding interest in the history, too. Which is, as you point out, unusual.

I've come to appreciate the history, probably through your exposure, but I don't really connect it to the comics themselves, oddly enough...

I like way too many artists (both comic and musical) to ever limit myself in any way. You know how many comics I have - well think an equally diverse and extensive selection of music on my computer - nearly 38,000 songs in iTunes.

iTunes (the software) bugs me to the point where I've never successfully used it.  However, after a minor collapse in my house, I've been ripping my CD tracks while I figure out what to do with the...five hundred CDs.  Maybe five of them are pop or rock, so...it's a weird collection.  I feel your "pain."

Personally, I hate to admit it, but I find most comic book stories to be exceedingly jejune and silly.

Nothing to hate about it.  Most of it IS garbage, the same as any field.

(Funny thing, I've never been fond of artists like Frazetta and Kubert.  I understand the attraction intellectually, but their work just seems extremely busy to the point where it distracts from the storytelling it's supposed to cooperate in.)

I find it nearly impossible to approach a modern comic book as they are mostly visually repulsive to me. GAC and DCM are the perfect vehicles for both points of view. You guys get to read the old books that we can't afford and I don't have to look at the new stuff.
It Works out well for all of us.

The modern stuff doesn't do it for me, either, in any respect.  I could make a looong list of problems, but I can't think of anything I've read produced in twenty years that made interested in buying the next issue.  I try, every once in a while, but there's just so much that's uninteresting and technically poor.  Outside of the paper, I mean, which is of absurdly high quality.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
(Funny thing, I've never been fond of artists like Frazetta and Kubert.  I understand the attraction intellectually, but their work just seems extremely busy to the point where it distracts from the storytelling it's supposed to cooperate in.)

The modern stuff doesn't do it for me, either, in any respect.  I could make a looong list of problems, but I can't think of anything I've read produced in twenty years that made interested in buying the next issue.  I try, every once in a while, but there's just so much that's uninteresting and technically poor.  Outside of the paper, I mean, which is of absurdly high quality.

Wow John, those statements might get you tarred and feathered in some places.
I know I've recommended them before but I highly suggest (and I believe OtherEric is a fan too) trying the first big story arc of the Fables series.  Or the first tpb of "1001 Nights of Snowfall" which was a prequel to the series.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1001_Nights_of_Snowfall
A great combo of story and artwork that hasn't let me down more than a couple times.

I truly hope that Jim will somehow produce a book or website that contains all the facts he's collected about comics creators/publishers someday.  The thought it might be lost someday worries me.

-Yoc

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
I have to agree with Jim on most of the art today. The style usually does not appeal to me.I will say some of the covers today are absolutely awesome. Zenoscope consistently wows me. . I have found a few stories worth reading. I have enjoyed the Kato series(s) more than the Green Hornet(s) which I have enjoyed. Executive Assistant Iris and Mystery Society were both good. A series that only made it one issue that I was looking forward to the next issue was Agon. Looked like it was going to be good scifi. I recently added John Carter to my pull list, I waited to see where it was going and after issue 4 decided to take the plunge. The new Mass Effect series seems like some promising scifi.

Offline Alessandro Bottero

• DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 07:41:46 AM »
i'm happy this topc turned in such an intersting argument.
what i think you missed is the not-english spoken fan "point of view".

it's true we can access to all kind of data and info about almost everything, but you must know what you want to search.
let's think about golden age.
here in Italy, as i already said, only SOME characters from golden age Marvel and DC has been published for a larger audience in the past 20 years.
and i know it very well, because i was theone wich tranlated the first two Superman Archives for the Italian Publisher Play Press, in 1994-1995.
we have the Simon-Kirby Captain America, some of the bob Kane batman & detective stories, and (but they are SIlver age) the Marvel Masterworks.

Probably in the '60 and in the '70 some horror stories, or even sci-fi and western ones had been translated, and published in some comic book series. but WITHOUT any info about publisher, or authors.
comic books were (and for some still are) a "child's thing" and didn't deserved infos.

Offline Alessandro Bottero

• DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 07:52:33 AM »
second part......

what i mean is....if i never saw, or knew Quality existed, and if no one reprint Quality stories, giving me the opportunity to see these stories for FIRST TIME, how could i know what to find, and where to find it? that's why i said "Golden age is generally unknown in Italy". Because if i say ACE, or AVON, o FOX, of FICTION, i'm fairly sure 90% of the comic book readers don't know what i'm saying. there are some good essay, even volumes, on Fawcett, or charlton, but they are aimed to a niche, with small print run, and mostly "convention distribution", if i am clear.
and one of the biggest issues was "where to find these stories, and how could i find a way to produce good reprint?". This is why i was so happy where i found this site. Because it make possible to spread these hidden tresures here.
it's been over 20 years i worked in italian comic field, and i love comic books. of all kinds, honestly. I love old comics , and i love new ones. and i strongly believe these stories has an unvaluable historical meaning, because they show the roots of today's best works.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
And those of us who scan them and put them up are happy to have them spread throughout Italy and the world. It makes all of our time and effort more worthwhile.