DCM Download Site > What you can upload

John Buscema's Work on Dell Four Colour

(1/5) > >>

Alessandro Bottero:
hi. another of my questions. :)

i saw in wikipedia that JOhn Buscema did 11 issues on Dell Four Colours, and precisely
DellFour Color:#684: Helen of Troy (1956), #762: The Sharkfighters; #775: Sir Lancelot and Brian, #794: The Count of Monte Cristo, #910: The Vikings, #927: Luke Short's Top Gun (adapted from novel Test Pit by Luke Short), #944: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, #1006: Hercules, #1077, 1130: The Deputy, #1139: Spartacus

they were comic book adaptions of some movies from 1956 till 1960.
Since the Dell-Four colours situations is very complex, i was wondering.....do you believe these issues are in Public Domain, or not?
they were interesting, because they were Buscema pre-Marvel work, and they show some hints of the future works (particolarly the Vikings and Hercules)
if someone could help me, i was happy, and i could think translating some of these issues in my upcoming Project Golden Age.

JonTheScanner:
Even if the comics' copyrights were not renewed, I'm pretty sure the comics would not be in the public domain if the copyrights on the movies themselves had been renewed.

Geo (RIP):
At this time it's been very hard to know for sure which issues of the Dells are in PD status or not. Maybe at a later date a lot of these will be cleared up one way or the other. So at this time we are putting a hold on most if not all Dell issues just to be safe.

Geo

josemas:

--- Quote from: Alessandro Bottero on February 10, 2011, 04:23:58 PM ---
i saw in wikipedia that JOhn Buscema did 11 issues on Dell Four Colours, and precisely
DellFour Color:#684: Helen of Troy (1956), #762: The Sharkfighters; #775: Sir Lancelot and Brian, #794: The Count of Monte Cristo, #910: The Vikings, #927: Luke Short's Top Gun (adapted from novel Test Pit by Luke Short), #944: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, #1006: Hercules, #1077, 1130: The Deputy, #1139: Spartacus

they were comic book adaptions of some movies from 1956 till 1960.
Since the Dell-Four colours situations is very complex, i was wondering.....do you believe these issues are in Public Domain, or not?
they were interesting, because they were Buscema pre-Marvel work, and they show some hints of the future works (particolarly the Vikings and Hercules)

--- End quote ---

I recently picked up a copy of Dell's adaptation of The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and its being a sword and sorcery story makes it a real precursor to Buscema's later work on Conan.

Best

Joe

josemas:

--- Quote from: JonTheScanner on February 10, 2011, 04:32:19 PM ---Even if the comics' copyrights were not renewed, I'm pretty sure the comics would not be in the public domain if the copyrights on the movies themselves had been renewed.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure one doesn't affect the other.  The adaptations are different from the movie.  Always condensed and sometimes at variance from the movie.  This is one reason why they had their own separate copyright in the first place.  Different, if similar material, requiring a copyright all its own.

Best

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version