- +

Author Topic: Your interest in GAC stems from??  (Read 3151 times)

Offline comicOD

• DCM Member
Your interest in GAC stems from??
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
I'm sure there are a number of different reasons why people download GAC's off
this site, and others.

What started you off, with your fascination with golden age comics. Does it
stem from enjoying them from your childhood or adolescence? Was there
something in particular that just drew you to this site?

I'm in my late 30's, but always loved comics. I have a good collection of superhero
comics from the late 60's-  late 1980's. I had eventually found goldenagecomics.co.uk
and became fascinated with the pre code horror, thriller and crime genres.

What's your story?

Digital Comic Museum

Your interest in GAC stems from??
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Your interest in GAC stems from??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
In the late 70s I read the Batman origin in a Big Little book b&w reprint that left a big mark on me after years of Scrooge and Archie comics up to that point.  By the early 1980s I was collecting Marvel and eventually bought an Overstreet Price Guide (LB Cole cover) and drooled over the colour cover sections.  Silver Streak Comics 6 became a holy grail for decades along with MLJ books.  20 years later I finally got to read them as scans thanks to the internet.
:)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »
First GA book I remember seeing was a Doll Man my cousin had. It took me be surprise as I thought I knew all the comics out. It was cool. First book I ever bought was Exiting 40 with Black Terror. I picked up some IW reprints and was introduced to some interesting characters. I am not sure how I managed to get an Amazing Man coverless #8 and scanned and put it online. Bill Nolan said it encouraged him to start Pure Excitement

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »
I am not sure how I managed to get an Amazing Man coverless #8 and scanned and put it online. Bill Nolan said it encouraged him to start Pure Excitement

Wow, so You are the one to thank! 
There is a direct connection between Bill's site and DCM through it's members/fans.
Thanks to Bill, Steve Rogers, and Mr Goldenage Richard B - GAC/DCM wouldn't be here without you!
:D

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
Covers from the Overstreet Price Guide ("Cat-Man" WTF?)and having too much time on my hands. ;)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:27 PM »
I think I called it the Good Guys and Gals of the Golden Age or something silly like that. I changed internet providers and lost the site.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
Good Guys and Gals went offline eventually.
Bill's Pure Excitement is still alive but not updated for years.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
What started you off, with your fascination with golden age comics. Does it
stem from enjoying them from your childhood or adolescence? Was there
something in particular that just drew you to this site?

Growing-up, I'ld seen Golden Age heroes in various books from Marvel & DC, but it was Malibu Comics' "Protectors" series that really got me interested in Golden Age comics & heroes, and the "Centaur heroes" in particular.  From there, I started getting AC Comics' "Men of Mystery" books and various reprints from The Big Two, but never bothered to buy any original Golden Age books as I don't remember any of the local shops of that time having any that caught my eye.  I passed on whatever few GA comics I saw at conventions that I went to during that time period due to their high prices (I was spending big money on another hobby at that point).

I think it was around 2001 when I found "Pure Excitement Comics" online, and it was cool to see the original stories in color, as opposed to AC's B&W reprints.  My interest in GA comics waned for a few years but was rekindled when Dynamite Entertainment started their "Project Superpowers" line (which I've since given-up on).  From a link on a some blog, I found GAC in 2008, which eventually led to my being a member here at DCM.

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
My interest in GA comics started with the first comic I ever owned, a Walt Disney's Comics & Stories with a Barks reprint my grandmother bought me in 1970. I was 8 at the time and continued to read and buy the Gold Key reprints until I discovered superheroes around 1974 with a DC 100 page Detective Comics with a good Batman Story and the first episode of Archie Goodwin & Walt Simonson's Manhunter and the rest filled with reprints, most of them GA. I bought every issue of Detective afterward and every 100 page spectacular that I could get my hands on. I also got into DCs Shazam and got to know the Marvel Family. Next on the list was The Spirit which I discovered through Warren's B & W Spirit Magazine which came out in 1974 and I just happened to buy the first issue at a local drug store. My mom was initially very skeptical of my interest in comics but as it progessed started to be supportive and buy me big hardbound books on the history of comics and comic strips which I got every Christmas. By 1975, I was serious about comics, I subscribed to the Comic Reader and bought just about everything Marvel and DC put out and both bought and sold at a local comic book swap meet that happened every month. I started to collect by artist and my favorites were Kirby, Ditko and Eisner on the GA & silver age side and Jim Starlin, Neal Adams and P. Craig Russel on the 1970s side with a lot of others as well. By age 16 or so, I'd moved on and still bought and read comics but not so fanatically. I pretty much stopped buying comics by my late 20s but almost all of the comics I bought in the 1980s were GA reprints of comics I wanted in my teenage collecting days but could never afford even at 1970s prices. I still have my collection, pretty much in the state I left it in as a teenager. I love reading GA scans. I always loved the GA comics and only got them in small doses when I was collecting and it is just fantastic to read the comics of collectors like JVJ who were on the scene when I was too young to even dream about it and got to collect GA comics like Fiction House which was not even talked about much in the 1970s.

Offline remz

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:34:53 AM »
My interest in GAC also comes from my first experiences with comics in the mid-to-late 1950s. Relatives had been buying me licensed Dells and St. Johns comics for several years, but the real eye-opener for me was visiting my cousin who had a very near-complete collection of EC comics. Healthy or not, those covers and stories stayed with me, and I avidly sought out every crime and horror comic I could find in the mom-and-pop second hand stores. I was buying the Atlas line of supernatural and mystery comics new and got interested in superheroes with their introduction of the Marvel characters. Getting the opportunity to reacquaint myself with all these books on this site has been a wonderful source of nostalgic joy for me. My interest in comics was unflagging until my late teens at which time I discovered a new interest: Pulp Magazines! But that's another story ...

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 06:29:39 AM »
My interest in GAC also comes from my first experiences with comics in the mid-to-late 1950s. Relatives had been buying me licensed Dells and St. Johns comics for several years, but the real eye-opener for me was visiting my cousin who had a very near-complete collection of EC comics. Healthy or not, those covers and stories stayed with me, and I avidly sought out every crime and horror comic I could find in the mom-and-pop second hand stores. I was buying the Atlas line of supernatural and mystery comics new and got interested in superheroes with their introduction of the Marvel characters. Getting the opportunity to reacquaint myself with all these books on this site has been a wonderful source of nostalgic joy for me. My interest in comics was unflagging until my late teens at which time I discovered a new interest: Pulp Magazines! But that's another story ...

And so, upon reading the EC Comics, you became a juvenile delinquent and serial killer, right?

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
One of the books my mom bought me had a section on the comics contraversy of the 1950s which mentioned Dr Werthem and Seduction of the Innocent and there was a copy of SOTI in our local public library which I checked out and read at age 13 and and it made me lament being born in the post code era and I really wanted to read every comic mentioned in it. There were some EC reprints out in the 1970s that I read and I managed to buy a collection of underground comix later--like maybe 15 years old--which went far beyond anything Wertham ever dreamed about. Nothing like a little censorship to spike interest in something. Anything that says "adults only" on it is going to be a hot item among teenagers.

The irony of this is that my appetite for comics far exceeded my allowance and I had a paper route by age 12 to pay for all the comics I bought so instead of turning into a juvinile delinquent, I was gainfully employed at a young age to be able to afford my comics.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »
Working at 12. That is child labor which a violation of the law. Forced into a life of crime by comic bookis  ???

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
Working at 12. That is child labor which a violation of the law. Forced into a life of crime by comic bookis  ???

Hey, narf,
I had a paper route when I was 11 delivering the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. I started JUST after I turned 11 in a 10 degrees BELOW zero blizzard. That must have been about 1957 and I wasn't even interested in comic books. I probably used the money to buy candy. Gasp! Times has changed. I had to WALK around my route and every paper had to be placed inside the screen/storm door - none of the namby pamby throwing it on the sidewalk or driveway (actually ALL of the driveways were behind the houses there). Child labor, forsooth. Heck, a year later when we moved to California, I had TEN WHOLE DOLLARS to spend along the way thanks to my paper route. That was cool! I had never even SEEN a ten dollar bill prior to cashing in my savings. Different times.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »
ps. The route was uphill BOTH ways.

;D