developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Comic Art Commission  (Read 108817 times)

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
Re: Comic Art Commission
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:21 AM »
but trying to figure out someone who is the equivalent of Johnny Thunder is tough. The best I can do is Mystic Moot, and I don't think it works.

What about Zongar?
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:21 AM »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »
but trying to figure out someone who is the equivalent of Johnny Thunder is tough. The best I can do is Mystic Moot, and I don't think it works.

What about Zongar?

Oooh, I like it.

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Justice_League_of_America_Vol_1_124.jpg

I totally had that issue when I was a kid!

I've figured out the substitutions for all the characters, except:
Wildcat, Johnny Thunder, and Hourman.

Wildcat could be Cat Man, Black Lion or even the Fox.  I've always thought that Liberator was a lot like Hourman, in that he has to take his Lamesis potion regularly to have powers.
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure I still have it. I recently got all my old comics, reboxed them, put them in bookshelves and then gave up on integrating new and old.

At any rate ...

Hmmm ... I think I'm going to use an adult Kid Fury (Chuck) or Kid Terror (Tim) to replace Robin, so Black Lion may not work here. But CatMan seems a good choice.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Justice_League_of_America_Vol_1_124.jpg

I totally had that issue when I was a kid!

I've figured out the substitutions for all the characters, except:
Wildcat, Johnny Thunder, and Hourman.

Wildcat could be Cat Man, Black Lion or even the Fox.  I've always thought that Liberator was a lot like Hourman, in that he has to take his Lamesis potion regularly to have powers.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
Just to open this topic up a bit, why not say who you think should replace who and why ....

JLA:
Batman -
Flash -
Aquaman -
Hawkman -
Green Arrow -
Black Canary -

JSA:
Wonder Woman -
Dr. Mid-Nite -
Robin -
Wildcat -
Hourman -
Johnny Thunder -

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »
Hmmm, I'll do the ones I know off the top of my head for now.

JLA:
Batman - Blue Beetle (Fox - gadgets, etc) or Catman (Holyoke)
Flash - Quicksilver (Quality - or any super speedster of your choice could go here)
Aquaman - The Shark (Cent - cause I love him but Hydroman works too)
Hawkman - Airman or The Eagle (both Centaur) but there are many to choose from otherwise
Green Arrow - The Arrow (Cent) or Alias the Spider (Quality) - either work
Black Canary - Madam Fatal (Quality - cause she's so opposite it makes sense!)

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
Just to open this topic up a bit, why not say who you think should replace who and why ....

JLA:
Batman - I'm of two minds.  I think that, from the point of view of character "feel", Ace's Raven is the one I'd most associate with Batman, but Black Terror also capitalizes on that "I have a kid sidekick" aspect.
Flash - Silver Streak.  I don't think there are enough Golden-Agers with "just" super-speed.  They all have lighting bolts or super strength in the mix, too, it seems.
Aquaman - Barry Kuda!  Even has some visual similarity to Aquaman.
Hawkman - I like Airman -- for some reason, his costume strikes me as nifty (in a cheezy way), even though the stories are rather lacklustre. 
Green Arrow - Arrow seems like the obvious choice, but maybe mix it up with Swiftarrow or Red Panther?  Swiftarrow has the advantage of being a bit more visually distinctive
Black Canary - I think that Lady Blue keeps up the bird motif, even though the powers are very different.

JSA:
Wonder Woman - There aren't many good PD characters who are enough like Wonder Woman.  Amazona is one (but a truly bland costume).  Moon Girl is another (although some are a bit scared by her EC origins) .
Dr. Mid-Nite - Nightro is my favourite, here.  Similar look (goggles); similar schtick (blind, but can see in the dark)
Robin - I think Kid Terror is the way I'd go (similarity with the mask, plus a striking insignia), but I could also see someone like Eaglet, here -- the bird association is nice, but I think that Eaglet might be harder to recognize.

The rest I've previously commented on.
I make comics!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »
Wow, I love your JSA choices BCH.  WW really is a hard one to figure out.  Moon Girl makes as much sense as anything.  Black Canary is another tricky one.  I said Madam Fatal as a joke but they both wear wigs... that not close enough?  ;)
Black Terror/Timmy sound good as Batman/Robin substitutes.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Miss Victory for WW
Nightmare and Sleepy for Batman and Robin
Nightro for Dr Midnight for sure
Microface for original Sandman just for the look.
Kismet for Dr Fate

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »
First off - thanks for all the cool input (Zongar!). If (i.e. "when") I do more cover recreations I'll hit you all up.

I neglected to mention that instead of the JLA it would be my own super-group, the Sentinels (see http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=812999&GSub=107702 ) and the Freedom Brigade (see http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=816767&GSub=107702 ).

At any rate, here are my thoughts on it for anyone interested:

JLA:
Batman - Obvious answer is Black Terror, with his old sidekick "Tim" standing in for Robin. Slightly less obvious, but even better is the Black Lion (and "Cub") as they are based on animals (like Batman and Robin) AND the ears ;-)
Flash - Silver Streak is the only way to go. Speed Centaur f'rinstance ain't happening;
Aquaman - The Shark or Barry Cuda are, no offense, super lame. I'm going with Hydroman, as I've already established him as being in the Sentinels;
Hawkman - Airman, I prefer his costume to the Eagle's;
Green Arrow - I like The Arrow, but the Spider is cool too;
Black Canary - Black Cat would sort of be the obvious one, or Blue Lady as mentioned.

JSA:
Wonder Woman - I agree that Amazona would be the best parallel, but I'm going with Nelvana of the Northern Lights. She's a chick, a demi-goddess, and has at least a distinictive costume element (the weird headband/feathers thing). Plus, also a future (past?) Freedom Brigade member (and past and future (?) Sentinels member). Whew.
Dr. Mid-Nite - Nightro, can't beat that;
Robin - As above, it would be Cub;
Wildcat - I like the Cat-Man idea, I think I'll go with that;
Hourman -  :-/ stupid drug addicts
Johnny Thunder - Zongar!!! Plus his imp for fun (maybe he's making the cloud they're in).

Here's the monkey wrench in the whole thing. Black Lion and Cub totally match, as does Blue Lady (or Black Cat). However, my current obscure faves are the Grim Reaper and the Black Orchid, so I was going to use them. And move Orchid over beside Reaper (who's filling in Batman's position), cause - they be knockin' boots, yo. Oh, and that means I was going to use a grown up Kid Terror or Kid Fury or Cub, but then ... no sidekick/hero relation going on .... damn. And Robin is the most prominent character in the image. Hmm..

That kind of destroys the parallels though. Not decided on that one. Which option will I regret less after it's bought and paid for? Who knows.

Also - the original artist, Ernie Chan, is still around and taking commissions ... and his rates aren't bad .... hmmm ....

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
Oh, and that means I was going to use a grown up Kid Terror or Kid Fury or Cub, but then ... no sidekick/hero relation going on .... damn. And Robin is the most prominent character in the image. Hmm..

I don't think that's a big deal, though.  I mean, in the original image, it was Earth-2 Robin and Earth-1 Batman.  I don't think the relationship between those two was drawn on to make the image work.

BCing you
I make comics!

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
Any other thoughts on a good Hourman stand-in. I can't seem to search on things on PDSH - who else gets their power from drugs? Liberator, Doc Strange, Great Defender ....??

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
Any other thoughts on a good Hourman stand-in.

Setting powers aside, The Clock could be a stand-in.  They're both heroes with time-based monikers, and they both have distinctive headwear!

BC
who apparently can't shut up in this thread
I make comics!

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
Mr E has his imps for a Johnny Thunder also

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
Who is Zongar and where did he appear :-/