developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Comic Art Commission  (Read 107984 times)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: Comic Art Commission
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
That's a good one, Geo,
you didn't have time to see even a fraction of what I've got lying around here. I keep surprising myself, more often than not, with what I stumble over. I didn't show you my original Alex Toth page from Rip Hunter #6 with the Giant Robot or my original Harry Rountree illustration from the 1911 Strand Magazine first appearance of Conan Doyle's The Lost World, either (the story of how I ended up with THAT is a real doozy). It's scary just the extent of what's sitting in piles (well, you saw some of them...) here.

I guess I need to display the Alcala piece more prominently - I'm certainly tickled pink to have it. Likewise a beautiful Charles Vess original from Stardust and a gorgeous William Stout troll piece, both of which Karen owns and really need to be framed and hung. We're celebrating 40 years of living together next week (The IDES of March, 1971 is when we moved in together) and perhaps I should take it upon myself to do that for her.

Thanks for making me think of this. I've been wondering what I could give her...

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
Sounds like a perfect gift Jim.  A professional framing job can really make a wall 'sing.'

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
And it just so happens that I have a niece who is a professional framer, Yoc. So I'm going to get her to frame both pieces. MAYBE she can get it done by the IDES.

Not really Comic Art, but a commission of sorts.

And thanks again to Geo for fostering the thoughts.

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »
Hey Roy,
Here's a link to a fellow art collector with a very extensive collection of commission artworks.
His GA Bombshell theme is fun.

http://tinyurl.com/3rrr6zm

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
Hey Roy,
Here's a link to a fellow art collector with a very extensive collection of commission artworks.
His GA Bombshell theme is fun.

http://tinyurl.com/3rrr6zm

Thanks Yoc, I've got a few ideas in the works. I actually set a budget to follow, so that tends to slow things down - stupid money. "Oh, I need a roof over my head. I need to eat." - whine whine whine.

I do have something being inked/colored that some people might find interesting - I'll let y'all know when it's up on CAF.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
Hi Roy,
I just read a short interview with Ralph Reese.  Sounds like he's been in some hard times for a while now.  He does commission work and I thought you might want to know.
The interview, mainly about his time in the 70s working with Neil Adams, can be found here:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/silverager/CSHTML/sas.shtml

-Yoc

Offline brush

• DCM Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
Hi Roy,
I just read a short interview with Ralph Reese.  Sounds like he's been in some hard times for a while now.  He does commission work and I thought you might want to know.
The interview, mainly about his time in the 70s working with Neil Adams, can be found here:

-Yoc

The fate of a comic artist in his golden years!!  This is quite demoralizing for neophytes ...

Artists must become better businessmen!!

Warren

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 06:04:56 AM »
It's not exactly "Golden Age" and the characters certainly aren't public domain, but here's a new one:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=750453&GSub=108696

The original artist/co-creator of the LSH, Al Plastino, drew this for me.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
Nice, and the others on your page are pretty cool too Roy.
Especially the 'My Heroes Portrait' by Mitch Ballard.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
Nice, and the others on your page are pretty cool too Roy.
Especially the 'My Heroes Portrait' by Mitch Ballard.

Yeah, I'm a nerd, what can I say.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
Hi Roy,

-Yoc

Another "good" reason for people to join the HERO Initiative and help out creators in need.

cross post from http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2556.0.html

I recently became a member of the HERO Initiative:
The Hero Initiative creates a financial safety net for comic creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Since inception, the Hero Initiative has been fortunate enough to benefit over 40 creators and their families with over $400,000 worth of much-needed aid, fueled by your contributions! It's a chance for all of us to give back something to the people who have given us so much enjoyment.

We can talk all we want about how much we value the old comics and, presumably, the people who created them, but we can actually do something about it directly. You can become a HERO member for as little as a $30 donation. I would urge anyone who isn't a member to join today and help out those in need.

Plus, you get a neato membership card!! Sadly, my member number is in the mid hundreds - there should be thousands of members.

End of preaching.

Anyway, for more info, check out http://www.heroinitiative.org/

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
Errr...Reese does commissions if you can navigate through the labyrinth, avoid the minotaur, and decipher the hidden message explaining how to contact him?

Not that I have work for him right this minute, but it's very difficult to do anything about it if/when I do, if I have to go door to door looking for him.  Or fight that damned minotaur again.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
Errr...Reese does commissions if you can navigate through the labyrinth, avoid the minotaur, and decipher the hidden message explaining how to contact him?

Not that I have work for him right this minute, but it's very difficult to do anything about it if/when I do, if I have to go door to door looking for him.  Or fight that damned minotaur again.

John

I sent you a PM with his contact info. I think their website just wants to discourage email phishing and spam, hence the minotaur.

In case anyone is interested, Mr. Plastino is expensive, but available and can be reached through his website (!).

I found tracking down a lot of artists surprisingly difficult; I just assumed everyone had a website - not so. But a bit of Googling can work wonders.

The Golden Age still has some representative kicking (which reminds me - I need to ask Sheldon Moldoff for something Batman-y), Silver Age same, but even the Bronze Agers are going (Jim Aparo, Dick Giordano, etc.). Act now before they're gone :-(

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »
Wow, some sweeeeeeeeet works there Roy. 
Bing Cansino's, grim but very nicely done and Al Plastino's Dynamic Comics... wonderful!
I especially like your write-up with it.  Very informative.  I wish others would tell as much about their own commissions!