developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: 1946 Circulation figures  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
1946 Circulation figures
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
Found this in Jess Nevins's "Slouching · Towards · Bethlehem" blog here:
http://ratmmjess.livejournal.com/236679.html

"The state of comic books in 1946."
An article on comics, "Comics Are A Serious Business," from the July 1946 issue of Advertising & Selling.

Drusilla Lives! will want to check this out for sure.  Some interesting numbers shown.

Note Superhero books were nothing special back then and far more female readers existed than I ever expected!

Enjoy,
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

1946 Circulation figures
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: 1946 Circulation figures
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »
Fascinating just how big comic books were in the 1940s. There was no television then which is probably a big factor in their slow decline. I got into serious collecting around the age of 12 in 1973/1974. There were no comic book stores where I lived then but there was a rack of comics in every supermarket, drug and convenience store and by age thirteen, I had figured out the day of the week the new comics arrived, identified the delivery truck, and followed it on my bicycle from on it's route in order to get every title I wanted. I subsribed to the Comic Reader so I knew exactly what was coming up. I also had a paper route to pay for my comic book habit.

Nowadays, there are no comic books for sale in any of the supermarkets, convenience or drugstores where I live and no comic book store either. The only comics distruibited locally are digest size Archies that are stuck in with the National Enquirer and People Magazine in front of the check out stands of our local supermarkets. Ironic that Archie would be the lone survivor from the Golden Age on the modern american news stand.

Offline darwination

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: 1946 Circulation figures
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:34:10 PM »
Killer info, thanks for passing it along, Yoc, and big thanks to Jess for putting it up.  Nice to see these numbers along with the survey, even if they are from the publishers themselves.  Golden age of comics, indeed.  :)