- +

Author Topic: Your Top Ten Most Wanted Comics on DCM  (Read 36064 times)

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Your Top Ten Most Wanted Comics on DCM
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:23:33 AM »
Just curious what the ten "holy grail" comic book titles or issues that you'd love to see on the site would be, if you had the choice. Mine would probably be the following:

The Eagle #1, #3, and a complete #4 (Fox Publications) starring the Eagle and Buddy
Weird Comics #18 and #20 (Fox Publications)
Blue Beetle - the remaining issues not posted (Holyoke/Fox)
Black Cobra Comics #3 (Ajax-Farrell)
Yankee Comics #2 (Chesler)
Banner Comics (Ace Comics) featuring The Lone Warrior. #3, 4, and 5 -- and Captain Courageous #6 (Ace Comics)
Black Terror (Nedor; any remaining issues)
Prize Comics (all remaining issues)
Cannonball Comics #1 (Croydon)
Dynamic Comics (Chesler)
 ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:07:23 PM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

Your Top Ten Most Wanted Comics on DCM
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:23:33 AM »

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Your Top Ten
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:21 AM »
Listed in the order I thought of them:

Fantoman 3
The Comics Magazine 2
Amazing Mystery Funnies (any)
Stars & Stripes Comics 6 (c2c)
Amazing Adventure Comics 1 & 2
Masked Marvel (any)
Detective Eye 1 & 2
The Arrow 1 & 2
Keen Detective Funnies 23.  I'ld also like to see an update to Keen Detective Funnies 24 that included the missing Dr Darkness story.
Champ Comics 19 (last appearance of The Wasp)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:15:35 AM »
Could not limit it to ten. These are the top limited runs that I would like to see completed. I would follow this by completing the Centaur and Chesler superhero books.

Green Giant 1
Colossus 1
Mad Hatter 2
Farmer's Daughter 3
Hyper Mystery 1,3
Kokonuts if it exists
Bang-Up 2-3
Superworld 1-2
Bomber 1-4
Challenger 1-2
Key Ring Comics 1

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:32:15 AM »
Green Giant 1

I forget where I saw it at the moment, but someone on the internet somewhere posted a small fiche image from the interior of this book to show how Green Giant's costume differed between the cover & the story.  So, there's something out there somewhere that someone has had access to.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »
Green Giant 1

I forget where I saw it at the moment, but someone on the internet somewhere posted a small fiche image from the interior of this book to show how Green Giant's costume differed between the cover & the story.  So, there's something out there somewhere that someone has had access to.

I see your skills are similar to mine ... "someone on the internet somewhere" is usually my level of recollection.  ;)

Bookmark, bookmark, bookmark is the lesson.

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
I'd love to see the Chesler superhero titles completed as well, especially Dynamic Comics.

Regarding the Green Giant, I found this on the net:

"Less than a dozen copies of this incredibly-rare comic, which was distributed only in the New York City area, valued at several thousand dollars each, are thought to still exist!"

I guess that makes his first issue one of the holiest of grails (and a heck of a lot more rare than any of my choices). Wonder if the owner of one of those rare copies would ever scan it for everyone. At least, beyond the fiche image owner that bchat mentioned. At least we can dream. How different was Brent Wood's costume of the interior pages versus what he wore on the cover?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:57:36 AM by krankyboy »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Regarding the Green Giant, I found this on the net:

"Less than a dozen copies of this incredibly-rare comic, which was distributed only in the New York City area, valued at several thousand dollars each, are thought to still exist!"

I posted this on the Public Domain Super Heroes site http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Giant :
According to the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide (2000), Green Giant Comics #1 was an experiment to determine if the company could profitably manufacture and distribute comics with their otherwise idle printing presses. The Moreau Publishing company believes the book was never released to news stands.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
Green Giant 1

I forget where I saw it at the moment, but someone on the internet somewhere posted a small fiche image from the interior of this book to show how Green Giant's costume differed between the cover & the story.  So, there's something out there somewhere that someone has had access to.

I see your skills are similar to mine ... "someone on the internet somewhere" is usually my level of recollection.  ;)

Nah, the image was a very blurry cropped image of Green Giant, not worth taking note of where I saw it.  I usually bookmark pages whenever I plan to go back to them, and that particular page wasn't worth bookmarking.

The Golden Age Hero Directory has a "micro hero" image of both costumes, which are as accurate as they're going to get.   Here's the image I saw compared to the cover image:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kZwgYcSrHR8/TMHFwUEMLwI/AAAAAAAACAk/u_y3_VJWqrE/s800/001.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kZwgYcSrHR8/TMHGfYSWaYI/AAAAAAAACBA/SWooknBXLd0/s288/000%20green%20giant.jpg
I've seen Green Giant's real name listed as Ralph Brentwood, Mr Brentwood & Brent Wood.  It'ld be nice to see the actually story one day to find-out which it is.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:18:47 AM by bchat »

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »

Mad Hatter 2

By the way, Narf... isn't this available here at DCM? And was there a #1 issue?

One thing is for sure, the art is pretty nice. And I dig the character.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:01:30 PM by krankyboy »

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info on GG, bchat and Roy.

I've got this sinking feeling we might not be seeing a complete issue for a while.  :'(

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
Green Giant 1

I forget where I saw it at the moment, but someone on the internet somewhere posted a small fiche image from the interior of this book to show how Green Giant's costume differed between the cover & the story.  So, there's something out there somewhere that someone has had access to.

I see your skills are similar to mine ... "someone on the internet somewhere" is usually my level of recollection.  ;)

Nah, the image was a very blurry cropped image of Green Giant, not worth taking note of where I saw it.  I usually bookmark pages whenever I plan to go back to them, and that particular page wasn't worth bookmarking.

The Golden Age Hero Directory has a "micro hero" image of both costumes, which are as accurate as they're going to get.   Here's the image I saw compared to the cover image:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kZwgYcSrHR8/TMHFwUEMLwI/AAAAAAAACAk/u_y3_VJWqrE/s800/001.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kZwgYcSrHR8/TMHGfYSWaYI/AAAAAAAACBA/SWooknBXLd0/s288/000%20green%20giant.jpg
I've seen Green Giant's real name listed as Ralph Brentwood, Mr Brentwood & Brent Wood.  It'ld be nice to see the actually story one day to find-out which it is.

FYI, I just added the blurry fiche image to the PDSH site.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »

Mad Hatter 2

By the way, Narf... isn't this available here at DCM? And was there a #1 issue?

One thing is for sure, the art is pretty nice. And I dig the character.  :)

Yeah I meant 1

Offline Guardian7

• DCM Member
  • Solarman
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
My list absolutely mirrors BChats list... except for the last one... which would be AMC #7 (as I don't have the complete story to Dinosaur Forest).

G7/Les
Huge HUGE fan of Centaur stuff

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
Hmmm, let's see...

ALL HERO COMICS #1 (Fawcett)
JUMBO COMICS #1 (Fiction House)
TOPS #1 and 2 (Lev Gleason)
BLACK CAT COMICS #2 (Harvey)
CAPTAIN MARVEL STORY BOOK #3 (Fawcett)
GREEN LAMA COMICS #6 (Spark)
KID ETERNITY #14 (Quality)
NYOKA #63 (Fawcett)
BARKER #13 (Quality)
CRIME SMASHER #1 (Fawcett)

...for starters.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
My big wants would be Peter Wheat & Peter Wheat news.  Big surprise there, huh? :-)

It's worth noting that there are more than a few titles I wanted when I first discovered GAC that have been filled in- Animal Comics, Fairy Tale Parade, and Phantom Lady (both Fox and Ajax runs) are all up now, for example.