developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: srca1941's uploads  (Read 45891 times)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: srca1941's uploads
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »
MLJ's Super Duck Comics #42 is going up now with plenty of Al Fagaly goodness and some nice Archie house ads.

The cover (and price) attracted me to this book, having never read Super Duck before. I was a little disappointed by the first story, but the rest of the book, I thought, was fantastic! I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did!

-Eric

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 11:33:32 PM »
Eric, I had never heard of MLJ's Super-Duck before either. I'll be sure to check the issue out.

Thanks.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
Now up!
Thanks very much Eric, great to see a new scan from you.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
A coverless paper copy of Whiz Comics #7 is going up now! I've been meaning to scan this one for a LONG time because it is so brittle. (Little more than a stack of paper really.) However, because of it being brittle, I've put it off, knowing that it would take longer than usual. All pages are readable, but there is damage to the artwork in the last two stories (Dr. Voodoo and Ibis). I've included the fiche copies of those stories, as well as the IFC and IBC. Front and back covers are from Heritage.

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
Ohh, nice!  Looking forward to this Eric.
And congrats on scanning it before it turned to pile of pulp.  :)

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »
MLJ's Super Duck Comics #42 is going up now with plenty of Al Fagaly goodness and some nice Archie house ads.

The cover (and price) attracted me to this book, having never read Super Duck before. I was a little disappointed by the first story, but the rest of the book, I thought, was fantastic! I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did!

-Eric

The first story is a bit weak, but the artwork is very interesting on the entire book. Fagely was a very imaginative artist, and I enjoyed the book. I just wondered why the decision was made to use the name "Super-Duck," although I don't have a better title to suggest.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
The Mighty Mallard?  No?
*sigh*  (tough audience)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »
Super Duck started out as, well, a SUPER Duck. When Jackpot Comics became Jolly Jingles with #10, Super Duck began as a parody of Superman. After the book was cancelled with #16, he received his own title. However, the costume and powers were dropped in favor of red lederhosen and a Barks-esque backdrop. It obviously worked since the title ran until 1960.

I had seen other issues of Super Duck before, and nearly bought them (something about that giant blue and white lettering on the red background really grabs me), but funny animals have never been high on my buy list. I always enjoy them, but they just seem like a low priority. I think I'll be a little more open to more Super Duck in the future.

-Eric

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
Super Duck started out as, well, a SUPER Duck. When Jackpot Comics became Jolly Jingles with #10, Super Duck began as a parody of Superman. After the book was cancelled with #16, he received his own title. However, the costume and powers were dropped in favor of red lederhosen and a Barks-esque backdrop. It obviously worked since the title ran until 1960.

I had seen other issues of Super Duck before, and nearly bought them (something about that giant blue and white lettering on the red background really grabs me), but funny animals have never been high on my buy list. I always enjoy them, but they just seem like a low priority. I think I'll be a little more open to more Super Duck in the future.

-Eric

Ah, then there was a reason for the seemingly misleading title. Come to think of it, some of the Atomic Mouse/Atomic Bunny stories from Charlton in the mid-fifties could have easily have been done without any critter in a costume. If I recall correctly, Mighty Mouse was able to walk the thin line between parody and super-heroic adventure and be both amusing and exciting but I can't think of any other super-critter who really pulled that difficult trick off routinely.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
It's time to get near to Farr... I noticed we didn't have any issues of Dick Cole up, so one is being posted right now, Dick Cole #9!

Now, this is sort of an oddball book. It's a reprint of a reprint. This copy is the Accepted Publications 1958 reprint of Star Publications' Dick Cole #9 from 1950. Star's book was, in turn, a reprint of two Dick Cole stories from Blue Bolt and "Rip" Rory from Target Comics vol.1 no.2. Other than probably some different ads, Accepted's book has the same contents as Star's, so I've also included the Star covers from Heritage. And, as if the whole matter wasn't confusing enough, Accepted's cover for Dick Cole #9 was Star's cover for Dick Cole #8.

*whew* My head hurts...

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
Thanks very much Eric, it's now on the site!

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
Did you get Whiz #7, or is there some sort of problem with it?

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
Hi Eric,
Sorry, been a bit busy here.  Going up now.
Listen, in the future please just upload anything to your default 'srca1941' folder and don't worry about publisher folders Ok?  Then I'll know if something is there a bit easier. 
Thanks.  :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »
I just added Eric's original 300dpi version of Target Comics v02 08 to the collection.
Thanks Eric!

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
Hi Eric,
Sorry, been a bit busy here.  Going up now.
Listen, in the future please just upload anything to your default 'srca1941' folder and don't worry about publisher folders Ok?  Then I'll know if something is there a bit easier. 
Thanks.  :)

Will do. I was just trying to make it easier to categorize. Not so much for major titles like Whiz, but the "lesser" titles that sometimes require you to think, "now what publisher was this?"

-Eric