- +

Author Topic: DC Rebirth  (Read 1636 times)

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
DC Rebirth
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
So, what does everyone here think of DC's Rebirth? Is it a return to lighter comics or just another reboot that will last a couple of years till the next one? I find it confusing with several Supermen, three Jokers, two Wally Wests, etc. I have read reviews that state that DC's universe has been recreated by Doctor Manhattan (New 52), lending it a darker tone, but other than Batman finding a Watchmen pin in the Batcave I haven't seen anything in the books to verify that. It would be a neat way of saying metaphorically that comics like Watchmen started the dark trend, but you'd have to go back a lot farther than New 52 for that. I have a particular problem with Wonder Woman, ambassador of peace to Man's World, with a sword. Some of the new titles are interesting; GREEN LANTERNS' concept of having two ring-bearers, a muslim man and a Hispanic woman, who don't get along being forced by Hal Jordan to share their power. (Who do they fight - Donald Trump?) Any thoughts on the new direction?
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago

Digital Comic Museum

DC Rebirth
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Re: DC Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
I wish that I could say that I care, but I don't.
I gave up on new comics back in 1996, when Marvel went bankrupt and was having the multiple different covers, die cut, laser foil, embossed, etc, etc, etc....

Way to expensive for what you get these days. Way to expensive. 

Rehashing of old stories, old villains, ad nauseum....

The only thing I purchase now are the Fantagraphics Barks and Rosa books....

"longing for the good old days of Kirby, Ditko, Wood, Heck, ....

B.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
I mostly don't care about DC rebirth, they've gone to that well once too often for me.  And the use of Watchmen is just annoying and tacky.

The two main exceptions:  They've said they're working on getting the Legion of Super-Heroes back; I will buy any LSH related issues.  (It's the one title I've got the complete run of, all the way back to Adventure 247; I'm won't say I'll never give it up but it would have to be very, very bad for a very, very long time.)

The other one, which launched this week:  Deathstroke.  Which is a character I generally don't care much for.  But Christopher Priest is writing the book, and I will read anything Priest writes.  It's been far, far too long since he's had a regular title and my excitement level for this one book is as hyped as I've been for any new comic in at least 5 years.

Offline twiztor

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
i'm only picking up the Nightwing book. haven't missed an issue of his solo title dating back to 1997 when he got his first ongoing (i wasn't following closely enough when he got a 4 issue miniseries in '95). don't see myself stopping anytime soon. even at its worst, it's just bland or uninspired. i don't think a Nightwing series has ever been outright BAD.

not a fan of the Watchmen crossover stuff, but honestly surprised that it took this long. i guess they're not planning on having the actual interaction for another two years or something. no idea how that will work out.

Offline gafaicheng

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:00:11 AM »
Well, the only actual Rebirth issue I read was Re-Birth #1 which was actually well done, so I'm holding my breath. I'd say DC realized the New 52 ticked off a lot of faithful readers , but DC couldn't risk yet another re-boot so soon, so Re-birth was a partial "un - rebooting" of New 52 if that makes sense....
Sigh, I really miss the pre- Crisis on Infinite Earth days....