175 (12.4%)
56-60
178 (12.6%)
61-65
136 (9.6%)
Over 65
153 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1403

Author Topic: Welcome to DCM - how old are you poll?  (Read 71530 times)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Welcome to DCM - how old are you poll?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »
Hmm, looks like I'm the youngest one so far at 27.

Other than some comics given to me at Christmas when I was really young, I didn't buy my own until I was 9, and then started seriously collecting at 10. That was also the year I became interested in the Golden Age through a handful of Superman reprints. I also became obcessed with the next "oldest comic in my collection." The older the better. Over the next few years I managed to pick up a later issue of Heroic Comics and Atlas' Men in Action, and later on some issues of Classics Illustrated, and Captain Marvel Jr. #110. Then, when I was 16, we got the internet and I discovered online auctions. I bought a Fox Blue Beetle and another Captain Marvel Jr., but I still didn't know much about the Golden Age outside of DC's characters and the Marvel Family. I certainly had no idea of the depth of the Golden Age. Then one day I was home sick from school and discovered Two Tub Man's cover site, and Bill Nolan's Pure Excitement Comics. I started The Golden Years site soon after that, and my Golden Age collecting and knowledge gathering exploded. By that fall I had a small handful of PD books and began All-Amazing Comics which was the catalyst for the collection I have today.

-Eric

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing you story Eric.
Nice to learn how your site was born.  It was one of the first sites I found and the very first I ever wrote a fan letter to many years ago!

Thanks for sharing the new scans as well.
:)

Offline Ryking

• DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »
I'm 32 and have collected comics since the early 90s boom. I got into comics not because of all the animated series that were going on at the time (spider-man, batman, x-men, etc) but because of the trading cards that Marvel and DC had just started to get into publishing. A friend of mine showed me some of the cards he was collecting and it just took off from there. I think I've only stopped and started collecting comics twice, and both times were for financial reasons. I've always had a special place in my heart for the Golden Age of comics, especially when a writer brings a character back from the depths of limbo that hasn't been seen for a dozen or more years.

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
40 years old. It's funny how the comics I read as brand new in the 80's are now re-released in collector's editions. I love the way new technologies like the internet, scanners, etc.can allow us to enjoy books 50, 60 even 70 years old.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline CharlieRock

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
Ha! I feel young! My age category includes 26 year olds.

Offline rbantique

• DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
Over 65 ..Retired antique dealer spending WAY too much time reading all you guys have posted here

Offline speculativism

• DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »
57. I started reading American comics from the silver age but there used to be plenty of raggedy older comics around in those days too. I wish I still had all those old comics now!

Offline jimpy

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »
69 years old - but I feel a lot younger since I discovered DCM

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »
Ha!
Well said Jimpy.  Enjoy your second youth here.
:)

Offline cimmerian32

• Technogrammaton Comics Moderator
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • That damned Scarlet Cimmerian
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »
Just turned 40 a while ago...  been collecting since the moment I saw Batman #234 on the shelf.  That great Neal Adams cover seized my 2 year-old mind, and Ive been hooked on comics and related art ever since.  I love that there are sites available where I cannot only share the art I love, but also preserve it for future generations.
Zap Comics are Squinky comics!

Offline dankescott

• DCM Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 08:15:09 AM »
Hi! I'm an ancient 46 yrs old (soon to be 47). I still read current comics, but love to buy (when I can find/afford them) old charlton horror comics. The creativity that went into them was to me) fantastic. I used to save the charltons as my last reads as a kid in the 70s; I'd plow through Batman and Daredevil et al., and my charltons would be my dessert reads! (The style only worked for me in the horror; could not appreciate charton's war and humor mags...).

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »
Be sure to check out Charlton's pre-code horror comics (e.g. The Thing). Some of the early Ditko material is amazing.

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
You may be the youngest member, Yusef, or very close to being the youngest.

Offline JeffyTurf

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Inside Jeff Overturf's Head
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »
I'm creeping up on 48 this summer.  Growing up I always was interested in the Golden Age comics and heroes, spurred by reprints in DC and Marvel comics and the annual JLA/JSA crossovers.  Over the next 40 years I just resolved, that unless I became a multi billionaire I would never really get to read the bulk of what had come before me that I was so interested in, so once more I was just born too late.

Thanks to all the hard work you folks are doing here, that ain't so anymore.  Thansk so much for sharing all your hard work and time at making all these golden age treasures available to the public at large.

I just kicked in a small donation, and I plan to do so regularly.  You guys are great!

Jeff O.

Offline NIKOS

• DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
Hi everyone
I am 51 years old. I have lived fourteen years in the U.S.
My comics collection goes back to the 60's, from the Greek market only.
Also I publish my own work and that of others in Greece.
I want to congratulate you for your work.
greetings
Nikos