- +

Author Topic: eBay finds  (Read 28209 times)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: eBay finds
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
Most I ever paid was $100 years ago for a B&B 28 that I really wish I never would have gotten rid of.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Re: America's Best Comic #12
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
From the seller description:
America's Best Comic #12. This Golden Age comic which has vibrant colors, and issued in 1944 has gorgeous eye appeal, a nice piece of American and Comic history and a treasure to add to one's collection. Front cover has minor wear along the spine area including a tiny tear, several old faded wrinkles and vertical crease including a small tear and old faded pencil mark, minimal border roughage including browning stain at top border and marvel chips at right corners, and general wear associated with a comic of this grade. The interior pages are off-white with some browning on some pages including the interior covers. The reverse which has minor browning stains and creases is otherwise smooth and clean for accuracy..The comic has a tight centerfold and there are  no pages or coupons missing.

It's (almost) amusing how every book from this dealer has "gorgeous eye appeal" and is "a nice piece of American and Comic history and a treasure to add to one's collection." Sure are a lot of "treasures" out there with "eye appeal" - whatever that means.

Hey, it's just a comic book.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

eBay sellers also say "displays well", I guess if you display your books for some reason.

Cheap art project: color photocopy of a comic cover, blown up to 2-11"x17" in a cheap Wal-Mart frame. I did that to the first Doom Patrol issue (86?) and it looks kind of snazzy.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: America's Best Comic #12
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
eBay sellers also say "displays well", I guess if you display your books for some reason.

More than a few people display their books.  Here is a thread on the "Collectors Society" site where people show-off their "comic rooms".

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
Well there I just bid and was out bid but the reserve not met. I always include shipping in the price I will pay. I have a nearly complete run of Justice League. Love the annual crossovers. I have coverless copy of Flash of two Worlds. I have never been able to afford even a coverless copy of Showcase 4 or Adv 247

I got Flash of Two World way back in 1977 I think it was. I saw an ad in the local shopper for 300 or so old comics. I immediatey called the guy up and was on his doorstep a few hours later. I was really excited. Looked through his books. Every thing was from the late 50's to the early 60's. He was a DC kinda guy when he was young.
The best things in the bunch were all the early Flash, Green Lantern, 2,3,5. Justice League 2,3,5, Batwoman, Batmite, weird SF Detective comics, that kind of stuff.
Funny thing is that he had no Showcase, or the #1's of GL, JLA.  He just seemed to miss the big first issues by a month.
It was my best find ever. I had just been paid for the janitor job I had a the local clinic, I think my check was for just under $100. I hadn't even had time to cash it yet, I just signed it over to him and went home a very happy young man.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Nice story B, thanks for sharing.
:)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 09:01:46 PM »
What a find. I had a Showcase 6 that I only paid two dollars for once. I had a B&B 28 in vg condition that I had paid $100 for. I do have a coverless Flash of Two Worlds, Man in the Ant Hill, JLA 1

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
Funny thing is that he had no Showcase, or the #1's of GL, JLA.  He just seemed to miss the big first issues by a month.

The drugstore where I bought most of my comics as a kid seemed to never carry Brave and the Bold or Showcase or #1s.  I did get JLA #1 on vacation, but missed on their B&B appearances and GL Showcases #1.  This was most frustrating to me -- to see them advertised and not be able to find them or the first three Hawkman tryouts..  By the time Atom was trying out, I knew to ride my bike farther and did get those issues.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
At a rummage sale once when I was  a teenager I bought a few comics. Nothing to special.

While at home going through them I opened up the Archie and inside was X-men #2(no cover)

For some reason somebody had put a Archie cover on a coverless X-Men 2.

B.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
Wow, what story B!
And I recall that was a great issue too.
I especially loved the first few issues of X-Men.  Not long ago I tried the first issue of FF and wasn't nearly as impressed.
I know, perhaps apples and oranges but Lee/Kirby really knew their stuff by X-Men #1. 
:)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:32 AM »
Yoc,
I know what you mean. There is something about those first twenty or so X-Men that I just love.
Especially sticks out in my memory is the first encounter with the Sentinels.
Just love that stuff!!!
Does ANYTHING produced today hold a candle to those early stories.
In my mind no.
B.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
Ha!  The Sentinels and the Mimic (and his robot twin Super Adaptroid) were also my favourite villains.  The Banshee was cool too but then they made him a good guy...

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
Nothing as good now unless you are ten and reading it for the first time. I too loved those early XMen

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »
Every now and then you hit a book that has the magic of those early books.  It's sadly a LOT rarer, but sometimes something hits.  I've gotten that on a few of the Peter Wheat issues.

And you're all wrong, by the way: while the Kirby issues of X-Men are nice, it's the Steranko and Adams issues that are really amazing.  :P