developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Dan Adkins  (Read 6915 times)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Dan Adkins
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 07:19:25 AM »
I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by "both approaches to art" John. Do you mean interpreting the art based on the mores and history of the artist vs just evaluating it as art unencumbered by the personal baggage?

Basically, yes.  To be more precise, I think there's plenty of space for analyzing art in terms of technical ability as well as its symbolism and "deeper meaning" or "intent."  I mean, outside of comics, nobody goes to a gallery opening just to look at the pictures.  They go to meet and learn about the artist.

Is it pretentious?  You betcha, especially when it's some yuppie who's only buying the painting to say that the symbolism "speaks to him" and then go on at length repeating what the artist said in his speech.  But it's still a valid route to analysis (to the extent that the artist is known and understood, which, as I said, isn't going to be much for a layperson), since no artist makes choices in a vacuum based solely on technical optimization.  Heck, if they do, people don't want their art!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 07:19:25 AM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by "both approaches to art" John. Do you mean interpreting the art based on the mores and history of the artist vs just evaluating it as art unencumbered by the personal baggage?

Basically, yes.  To be more precise, I think there's plenty of space for analyzing art in terms of technical ability as well as its symbolism and "deeper meaning" or "intent."  I mean, outside of comics, nobody goes to a gallery opening just to look at the pictures.  They go to meet and learn about the artist.

Is it pretentious?  You betcha, especially when it's some yuppie who's only buying the painting to say that the symbolism "speaks to him" and then go on at length repeating what the artist said in his speech.  But it's still a valid route to analysis (to the extent that the artist is known and understood, which, as I said, isn't going to be much for a layperson), since no artist makes choices in a vacuum based solely on technical optimization.  Heck, if they do, people don't want their art!

I understand your point, John, re the gallery/critic scene and I agree. I was thinking more along the lines of "do you need to know that Crumb has some psychological issues in order to appreciate his art?" or "Do you need to know about Monet's cataracts and other eye-problems to totally enjoy his Rouen Cathedral and his water lily series?"

Not talking "gallery pretensions" here, but asking if real details about the artist's life are really a necessary precondition to the appreciation of the art? Often, in my experience, the viewer is inclined to deduce the detail FROM the art - to wit, Crumb's phobias and manias and some abnormal condition regarding Monet's eyes. As you say, no art is created in a vacuum, but do we need to be familiar with the contemporary world of the artist and his/her mind set at the time of creation to be able to appreciate it?

I (very) suddenly realized that this may be a significant question to ask in a thread on Dan Adkins... I think I'll stop now.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:38:52 PM by JVJ »
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »
Hi Jim,
No worries on going off topic.  It happens so often here it's almost odd if it doesn't once or twice.

And to your question, no, it's not necessary to know anything about an artist to enjoy their work.  But I think it's in our nature to want to know more about the creator of something we like in particular.  It lets us identify with the work that much more.  "oh, he was bald, so am I!' kinda stuff.  Unnecessary but a part of our nature for many people.  IMHO.

-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »
Not talking "gallery pretensions" here, but asking if real details about the artist's life are really a necessary precondition to the appreciation of the art?

The way I look at it, it's not a precondition, but then calculus isn't a precondition for investigating (or enjoying) physics.  They're distinct kinds of appreciation and analysis.

One of the "games" I enjoy with fiction (and political writing across the spectrum), for example, is following the...for lack of a better term, the "currency of ideas."  To me, it's interesting to see the serious similarity of Superman to John Carter, John Carter to Lt. Gullivar, Lt. Gullivar to...I forget, but it's a Civil War era Dime Novel where a soldier finds a lost valley where the low gravity grants him amazing powers.  It might not be a direct lineage, but there was probably some influence from one step to the next, and that's something that interests me greatly.

For others, it's not the expression of ideas itself, but the reason for the expression that interests them.  To give another prose example (because I stink with visual art), Frankenstein reads as a much more interesting story to me after learning that the good doctor is largely based on Percy.  It takes on more layers when you read St. Leon, her mother's (it may have been her father, I'm working from memory and need to run to work shortly) sprawling story about a frustrated superman.

Which isn't to say that it's not an entertaining work by itself, studyable and tractable to analysis.  It's more that other avenues of inquiry open when you have more information.

Getting back to the physics analogy, I guess it goes back to the question of whether a rainbow is still beautiful after you learn that it's "just" refraction of light.  For some people, it kills the illusion, while for others, it's much more interesting than it was before.  I'm on the borderline, myself.  I don't care about most artists, but can see where certain information can help the appreciation.