- +

Author Topic: Other site  (Read 6397 times)

Offline comicfanman71

• DCM Member
Other site
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:39:44 AM »
I was a 2 or 3 year member at goldenagecomics.uk. I made my donation with the understanding that I could download as much as I wanted. Well I moved away to a place that didn't have internet available(way back in the country, only dialup) to me. When I finally moved to my new home with cable internet I figured I'd update my collection. Yesterday I visited that site and started copying and pasting the comic publishers names to my folders and dl a couple comics they banned me for dling too much. I thought that to be total bull. I tried to contact the ones running the site but was totally locked out. My question is, is this site the same way?  Has anyone else had that to happen to them?                     Thank you

Digital Comic Museum

Other site
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:39:44 AM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Other site
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:50:44 AM »
While the old owners were far more generous than expected about it and never let anything expire, donations over there were always for a limited time, a year's subscription.  I mean, whatever I donated way back when the site first opened, it doesn't help anybody with server costs today.

There was a change in management to someone who doesn't have the resources to serve up terabytes of data to users every month (those were the actual numbers, last year).  "Free" accounts are worth about what they cost, at that point.

I don't know what "locked out" might mean, since you should still be a member and have access to the forum, unless they (like we've considered here) purged the accounts that nobody has used in a long while.  But if you downloaded anything, that can't be the case.

The policy here is modeled on the original free-wheeling policy over at GAC, and is its original reason for coming about.  However, as costs escalate, we may also find the need to limit the downloading of non-donors and expire donations.  Hosting high-volume, high-bandwidth sites reliably isn't cheap, after all.  So for now, you should be able to download what you want, but your dollar (if you contribute) isn't necessarily going to let you continue to suck down books in five years.

Lastly, since we're part of the same community, we're not really keen on people bashing the neighbors.  While I get the frustration, you're basically calling their management liars because you didn't read the terms of the donation process and feel entitled to their bandwidth.  I sympathize, but we're not going to let this devolve to "us against them," and would appreciate it (a subtle way of saying that any abusive messages and abusive members may mysteriously vanish into the night) our contributors holding that same standard.

Complaints about someplace else are best directed to the management of that place, just like you wouldn't stand on a table at McDonald's to tell your Burger King tale of woe.

Both sites are privately-run services on a shoestring budget, and we're very lucky that there's ANY access to many of these books at any price.  And the surest way to kill it is for people to treat it like a service to which they have a "right."

You'll pardon the soapbox, but I've seen several communities fall apart due to the influx of people demanding to be treated (by their peers, essentially) as privileged customers.

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »
Well put, John C.

ComicFanMan71, sorry that you got locked out. GAC was experiencing instability due to excessive bandwidth demand. In plain English, 90% of everyone's download attempts were failing due to excess demand, which turned out to be caused by a handful of users. Where's the fairness in that?

The system administrators at GAC, myself included, took steps to restore the site's stability, and downloads are now back to normal.  This action involved reviewing the logs of user activities, and putting a temporary ban on members who were downloading either:
1.) an excessive number of files, or
2.) downloading multiple files at once, something the guidelines at the site prohibits.  If you were 3.) identified as somebody who was maintaining multiple accounts, you might have been banned permanently, as this too is prohibited at the site.

I am sorry that you are locked out of the system, and can assure you that, if you fall into category 1 or 2, it is temporary. When you return, you should probably only download what comics you plan to read that day.  If we all do this, then these sites, which are not-for-profit ventures run by volunteers who love comics can keep themselves viable.  If we start in with the hording mentality, the whole thing goes to hell in a hand basket.

Thank you, John, for the perceptive, even-keeled response. The two sites, DCM and GAC, peacefully co-exist and benefit from each other by providing redundancy and bandwidth distribution. Many great folks are members at both communities.  Glad to see DCM back up and running.

Offline comicfanman71

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
Ok I get what you're saying and I understand the bandwidth thing and all. When I first got banned I was told that I was dling too much and the ban was only  for so long. I felt that was wrong because like I said I only dl'ed a couple comics(even the non donaters can do that). I really enjoyed that site and the people there. They always tried to help when I had a question. I'm not trying to bash the site or all of the mods or admins. When they first banned me they locked me out of the dl section as well as the forum. I was unable to contact any of the people over the site and I just thought that was wrong. Where I really messed up was when I tried to register  another account because they must keep track of peoples IP address's. Thats when I got my permanent ban. I would have donated more for the privelage of downloading and browsing the forum. I've got memberships at other sites that will warn you when they feel that I'm overdoing things and I figured that would happen there as well. So I apoligize if I went about things in the wrong way.       Thank you

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »
You know, guys,
that's what I like about these sites. Calm, cool, collected communication. It works wonders and is such a blessed relief from the flames and arrows of outrageous postings elsewhere. You don't have to wonder why I'm sharing my comics at GAC and DCM.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
So I apoligize if I went about things in the wrong way.

No need to apologize at all.  You're frustrated, and as Jim points out, that's how the rest of the Internet (half the time, the rest of the WORLD, it seems) seems to work.  I was more posting the warning to anybody who might come later, figuring this was now the place to vent about disagreements, than you personally.

Oh.  And since you bring it up, I should mention that the software that runs both download sites is somewhat immature and incomplete, as products go.  So there are definitely some desirable features missing.  When they have the time, our owners dig in adding what they can, so I'll be sure to mention the warnings, if the policy ever needs changing.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:27:08 PM »
Just want to say that I'm really pleased to be involved with both sites ( and Chronicle Chamber)  Apart from the downloads, and I don't take a lot of those, I learn so much and enjoy taking part in the chat and discussions.  People are really friendly and despite differing opinions sometimes - well, because of them, I suppose, we all experience other contributors tastes and views and, sometimes, cultures. No bad thing.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Crosshatchery: Kevin's writing archive and comic projects
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »
...you should probably only download what comics you plan to read that day... If we start in with the hording mentality, the whole thing goes to hell in a hand basket.

Thanks for the very good advice. I'm a completest by nature, so once I start reading a new series it takes a lot of self-control for me to limit my pace instead of trying to download every issue of the title in one sitting. But since I know this website (and the GAC site) are offering their resources for free on a limited budget, I try my best to honor their requests regarding bandwidth usage. (These comics have been around for decades, and they'll still be around even if it takes me a few weeks or months to slowly download a series rather than trying to grab them all in one night.)

Personally, I wish more public domain Golden Age comic sets were available through something like bittorrent, as that would definitely give those of us with the collector's mentality an option to download complete runs of a title all at once without choking the bandwidth for individual sites like this one. But until then, I have to keep reminding myself... patience is a virtue.

-- Kevin Yong

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »
Kevin, they actually are.  Some torrent sites feature dozens of Golden Age torrents that are almost entirely made up of materials from this site.  The ones I have seen were mostly created by a contributor from this community, citaltras.  My only thing about torrent sites and torrents in general is that you have to be very careful to guard against viruses, and sometimes, less popular torrents are not seeded and can be slow.

So, if you want to seriously jump start your collection, you can start there. If you do a search for Golden Age comics torrents, you will undoubtedly find a place to start.

But THEN, you will have to come back here, as the content is continuously changing. Added issues, issues that are being upgraded, etc.

Offline citaltras

• Comics collector
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:04:31 AM »
Kevin: as builderboy said, I uploaded many GAC torrents in the last years with comics from this site plus others, and they are still available.

There are also many other available GAC torrents not by me.
In fact I started downloading those before being a member of the GAC-UK site.

Search for them in demonoid, in h33t is you are not a member there, or in the torrent search engines.
For instance in Google searching for keywords like "golden age comics bittorrent", you will find thousands of results.

CITALTRAS

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:31 AM »
Kevin: as builderboy said, I uploaded many GAC torrents in the last years with comics from this site plus others, and they are still available.

Yes, I've noticed those before on the various torrent sites, so thank you for putting those together. A lot of Golden Age titles come up when I search for bittorrents, but my experience has been that that the "seeding" for many of them can be spotty. For some sets, a bad connection via torrent might end up taking longer to download in one collection than to slowly collect them one file at a time through DCM & GAC. But like I said... patience is a virtue. My hearty thanks to everyone whose hard work makes these classic gems available to newbies like me, regardless of the download format.

-- Kevin Yong

Offline citaltras

• Comics collector
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 06:53:57 AM »
Kevin:  bittorrent can be quite fast even for those with a few seeds only.
I am currently seeding the Fawcett collections for others, and in the case of
my torrents, you can request a reseed if needed.

CITALTRAS

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »
Kevin:  bittorrent can be quite fast even for those with a few seeds only.
I am currently seeding the Fawcett collections for others, and in the case of
my torrents, you can request a reseed if needed.

Thanks, I'll have to give the Fawcett collections a try. (I'll be switching internet providers this month, and hopefully that will help some of the sluggish download speeds I've been experiencing on my end.)

-- Kevin

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
I know this post it old but just wanted to jump in here and say we have no plans currently to put download limits back on users.

When we first opened here at DCM we decided to let all download what they wanted with no limits with goal just to see how it went. We now serving over 2TB of data a month and our server/host are still happy. So currently limits will stay off for all users.

This does not mean we don't require donations thou, currently site isn't a commerical site so we basically pay server bills via donations, few adverts we got in places round site and dipping into own pockets. Yes we could reduce costs required for site but this would require server to be downgraded and would result in limits each month for users.... rather pay extra out of my pocket and have happy users :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
Thanks Capt!
So people, Please, if you love the site and have some spare funds a donation to DCM would be most welcome.
Check the FAQ section for how it works.
:)