Help and Support > Feedback and Suggestions

scan size

(1/11) > >>

BobS:
The higher your screen resolution is, the smaller the scans become.
Historically, folks have been increasing screen resolution.
In the future avg. screen resolution will probably be higher than now.

I bring this point up now because many rare old comics, like early Centaur,  will probably never be rescanned.
I suggest that early comics especially be scanned at the larger size.
If you have smaller monitor or lower resolution, CDisplay can be set to shrink (when necessary) to screen width or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob
Public Enemy #1

JonTheScanner:
The printed image of Golden Age Comics is a bit wider than 6 inches.  What was the print density of Golden Age comics?  I seem to recall 96 dpi.  That would mean at the commonly used width of 1200 pixels, you're already capturing twice as much information horizontally (or four times as much information per square inch as was in the original comic.  Now I understand you don't have a perfect match so you capture each color dot, but I'd not think going beyond 1200 pixels of width is going to improve things much.

This would be for a lossless save of course, BMP or TIFF, not JPG.

narfstar:
Both Paint.net and infranview offer loss less jpg

JVJ (RIP):

--- Quote from: narfstar on August 01, 2010, 05:44:43 PM ---Both Paint.net and infranview offer loss less jpg

--- End quote ---
Being "offered" and being "used" are two different things, Narf. "Lossless jpeg" is simply saving a jpeg at "maximum" quality - i.e. No Compression. In which case, the file size is not reduced and the advantages of the jpeg format are nil. Yes, "lossless jpeg" exists (in ANY program that allows for a file to be saved as jpeg), but it's not something that I've ever seen anyone use except as a way to send high-resolution scans as email attachments, when size is not an issue.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ (RIP):

--- Quote from: JonTheScanner on August 01, 2010, 04:09:59 PM ---The printed image of Golden Age Comics is a bit wider than 6 inches.  What was the print density of Golden Age comics?  I seem to recall 96 dpi.  That would mean at the commonly used width of 1200 pixels, you're already capturing twice as much information horizontally (or four times as much information per square inch as was in the original comic.  Now I understand you don't have a perfect match so you capture each color dot, but I'd not think going beyond 1200 pixels of width is going to improve things much.

This would be for a lossless save of course, BMP or TIFF, not JPG.

--- End quote ---

You might be comparing apples and oranges, Jon.
The "dpi" you mention refers to the coarseness of the color screen patterns used, not the resolution. Since the golden age comics were published basically as line art, there is no upper limit on how much ppi scanning info can be useful. Of course, given the "quality" of the presses used, it's mostly defects that get revealed.

Still, the higher the scanning resolution, the more accurate the line edges (and the edges of the color "dots") will be. By its very nature, scanning blurs edges and no matter how coarse the dot patterns that were used for the color screens, their edges (and those of the black plate) are still subject to the "law" of "the higher the scanning resolution, the sharper the edges".

And, as always, Bob, we're fighting the two-headed devil of "file size and bandwidth". Storage space and transmission time (not to mention scanning time, which is being donated gratis) will always be the determining factors, with much concern given to those who can't keep up with the latest and greatest in both technologies. Be happy that we get to see those scans at all is my take on it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version