- +

Author Topic: capnted's uploads  (Read 6327 times)

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
capnted's uploads
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
I'm a poor man who has only a very meager stash, but I plan and hope to become a richer man, whereupon I vow to acquire GA comics that fit the bill, scan and deliver them here!

Upped: Young Romance #101 (Vol. 12, # 5)

Digital Comic Museum

capnted's uploads
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: capnted's uploads
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »
I'm a poor man who has only a very meager stash, but I plan and hope to become a richer man, whereupon I vow to acquire GA comics that fit the bill, scan and deliver them here!

Upped: Young Romance #101 (Vol. 12, # 5)
Hi capnted; thanks very much for the scan. Since you included several before/after pages, I am guessing you are soliciting feedback. (At least I hope that's the case. If I'm wrong, please ignore the following comments.)

The color correction you are using on the interior pages looks fine, but in my opinion, the "after" version of the front cover looks a bit washed out; I preferred the "before" version, because the color is richer, especially in the girl's face. For my edits I generally use different filters on the covers versus the interior pages, because of the paper and printing differences.

In any event, thanks again for the scan, and I look forward to your future posts.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Thanks very much Cap!
Please continue to check that nothing is post Dec 1959 when uploading.
Keep up the nice work!

-Yoc

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
The color correction you are using on the interior pages looks fine, but in my opinion, the "after" version of the front cover looks a bit washed out; I preferred the "before" version, because the color is richer, especially in the girl's face.

Snard, I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. I noticed the 'washed' oversaturatedness on the front cover too. The same processing is not going to or shouldn't apply to both covers and the interior pages because they are different paper stock/finish, maybe inks (?), etc.

I did just fix and replace the front cover with a better one, moving both the old, oversaturated cover (carrying the same processing overall) as well as the new improved cover both to the back matter sample pages. [Replaced Upload For Young Romance 101]

Thank you for pointing this out, it was probably late at night when i scanned and I obviously should have seen and *thought* about this better.

On a side note: I scan at 300dpi and resize to 1280 wide resolution. I needed to rotate 180 degrees the upside image. I did this using Windows image viewer or what ever its called, and i noticed that according to windows file properties these flipped images were some coverted or rather marked to 96dpi.
This really makes no sense though I believe, because the 'Dpi (Dots per inch)' should really only matter when actually setting your scanner. In other words your scanner is scanning the materials at 300dpi or the minimum level appropriate for printing and converting to a relative screen resolution. The fact that my rotated images display 96dpi yet have maintained their 1280 resolution shows that the use or meaning of dpi outside of actually scanning or saving/exporting images for the printer is, well, "whack." (New term for the old term out-of-whack).

Thus Dpi is only relevant for scanning process or your actual scanner to translate your physical material into a high enough quality and resolution. This should give you a digital image of rough around 2000-2300px to work with. I personally thinking resizing to 1280 is probably best, why not keep a larger picture when monitors and drive space get bigger and cheaper and doesn't everyone just use CDisplay or similiar anyway, where you can 'fit to height'?

In other words, resolution for actual digital images only matter, dpi at this point matters not.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
Hi Cap,
I save my scans in TIFF format from the scanner.  I use that for my edits in PhotoShop where I do the rotating as well and a final resize before 'save-as' in jpg.  All of that is in a batch file.

-Yoc

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
Resolution is absolute, capnted.
Size is dependent upon display or printing.

If you capture a 10 inch comic book at 300 ppi, your vertical measurement will be 3000 pixels (300 pixels per inch times 10 inches).

If your Windows Viewer only displays 96 ppi (dpi is for printing and is utterly meaningless in the digital world), then Windows Viewer "thinks" your image is 31.25 inches high. (3000 pixels divided by 96 pixels per inch = 31.25 inches) 96 pixels, by the way, is the usual resolution of a Windows display.

Not one pixel gets changed in the display process, just some internal math gets done and the "size" of the image is recalculated.

This is easy to see in Photoshop when you look at [image][image size]. If you change the [resolution] with the [resample image] UN-checked, you can watch the math happen.

Understanding how this works can greatly simplify your workflow. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I understand all this like the back of my hand. (Though at age 63, the back of my hand isn't all that familiar looking...)

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:19:45 PM by JVJ »
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
Yep, Jim is the guy to ask about PS questions!
:)

(Hey Jim, I sent you a Private Message the other day if you missed it.)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »
Just because I need to vent for a second...I got caught in the same sort of situation Jim describes, this week.  I grabbed an SVG (line art, basically) image to include in a program I'm working on, and converted it to a PNG file.  Little icon-y thing.  But the program decided it was the size of my fist.

After about an hour of poking and prodding, I stumbled on the minor detail that, somehow, the conversion set the image at 5dpi.  Because that's a perfectly obvious default setting, since everybody has pixels the size of a sunflower seed, these days...

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 02:46:52 PM »
Love Letters 041 uploaded, cover to cover from an very brown and brittle copy, but it came out pretty darn good

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »
Thanks Cap!
Now Up!

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:12:52 AM »
Uploaded Prize Comics: Personal Love Vol.1, #6

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »
Sorry I don't see it yet Cap. Want to try up'ing it again. Thanks.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
uploaded again, hopefully successful...

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
Geo i justed checked my 'User CP' and the upload (and the one from earlier-same file) are both sitting in 'My unapproved files' queue.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »
Geo, it was in the AdminCP under 'Unapproved scans'.

Thanks Cap, it's now live!  Keep up the nice work.
:)